What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

9th Immortal

Vee

First Grade
Here's a strart.

Fittler
Kenny
Sterling - better than Mortimer?
Provan
Coote
Lazarus,
Miles - Rogers was better
Irvine
Daley
Meninga - see Miles
Clyde - terrific but short career
Langer - really?
Old Man Rogers
Noel Kelly
Grothe Sr.
Old Man Pearce
Pearce? Seriously? Grothe? Irvine? Great wingers no doubt, but not leaders and captains at the highest levels. Keep trying though.

Springs09

Juniors
I don't see why Lockyer should be considered over Sterling, Kenny, Daley, Langer or Fittler. He has a great record yeah but was he a better player? He was behind Johns and Fittler until they retired and was quickly overtaken by Smith and Thurston.

Provan should be the 9th Immortal and the last from his era. Limit it to 1 per ten years and induct the greatest players from the previous generation.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
While Lockyer was a decent player, I can't recall him doing anything brilliant on a regular basis.

He didn't have any special skills of note and being a good leader and captain isn't a criterion for selection as an Immortal.

Mal Meninga 9th, Cameron Smith 10th, Billy Slater 11th, and Latrell Mitchell will be 12th Immortal.

Let me revise my choice of new Immortals, with years of induction in parentheses, as priorities:

9 .Mal Meninga (2019)
10. Johnathan Thurston (2020)
11. Billy Slater (2020)
12. Cameron Smith (2020)
13. Latrell Mitchell (2030)

This list of champions is definitive.

macavity

Referee
While Lockyer was a decent player, I can't recall him doing anything brilliant on a regular basis.

He didn't have any special skills of note and being a good leader and captain isn't a criterion for selection as an Immortal.

The selection criteria for the next entrant will begin with "queenslander"

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Freak - "a person with a unusual physical deformity". Sounds about right.

Can't forget his match losing performance against the Cowboys in the preliminary final last year. Two restarts out on the full leading to Cowboys tries.

Can't say that is an example of a future Immortal's form.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Once again for the geniused.

There IS a Rugby League Hall of Fame.

Thank you.

But this is the problem. They last inducted past players back in 2007, 11 years ago which people forget how long ago that was.

They announced the inductees back then they announced the 100 great players the following year to celebrate the centenary of the game. Then they ignored the Hall of fame which was embarrassing.

I blame league officials back then.

Revive it Id say. Induct blokes like Johns, Lockyer and Kelly.

JJ

Immortal
I don't see why Lockyer should be considered over Sterling, Kenny, Daley, Langer or Fittler. He has a great record yeah but was he a better player?

No is the correct answer there...

Think you could probably add Steve Mortimer and Ricky Stuart to that list.

It's the # of tests etc that will be cited to separate him from Sterling, Kenny, Daley, Mortimer, and Stuart - but some of them retired early, and also had competition for their spots

If I wanted a #6, Fittler, Kenny, and Daley would be well ahead of Lockyer... Kenny was a freak, no mistake, Fittler was simply a better player in the same era, and Daley was inspirational - like Kenny injuries impacted him, and Kenny retired from rep football early anyway which means he's not even discussed. Fittler is the strange one, his rep record speaks for itself, and he was simply a better player than Lockyer - weird

Vee

First Grade
Proof that being a long term club coach destroys your playing reputation. I reckon Stuart was better as a player than Daley and Clyde, and the equal of big Mal.
You're kidding, right? He was terrific, but better than those blokes? Riiightttt...

Latest posts