What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 1 Dragons v Broncos at Kogarah

getsmarty

Immortal
Bronco Jaydn Su’a could miss two matches over sickening hit on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan
DAVID CAMPBELL, The Daily Telegraph
March 9, 2018 12:02pm
BRONCOS young gun Jaydn Su’a has been charged by the NRL judiciary for his cheap shot on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan in last night’s season opener.

Vaughan was left vomiting on the field after Su’a shoulder charged the Red V big man off the ball in the 76th minute of the Dragons 34-12 win.

Vaughan was approaching the Broncos defensive line expecting a pass from Ben Hunt when the Dragons halfback opted to go elsewhere.

c05298d1d8bb8933a621c13cd829c8e8

Paul Vaughan vomits on the field after being shoulder charged.
Vaughan was watching the ball as he eased off his run and was completely blindsided when Su’a dropped his shoulder right into the middle of Vaughan’s chest.

Vaughan vomited on the field before staggering to the sideline and vomiting again.

Su’a and the Broncos must challenge — and beat — the judiciary’s grade one charge otherwise he could miss up to two matches.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/9258475f4c76c4f7eaaf6863d23cb7ac

Frank Facer

First Grade
Bronco Jaydn Su’a could miss two matches over sickening hit on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan
DAVID CAMPBELL, The Daily Telegraph
March 9, 2018 12:02pm
BRONCOS young gun Jaydn Su’a has been charged by the NRL judiciary for his cheap shot on Dragons prop Paul Vaughan in last night’s season opener.

Vaughan was left vomiting on the field after Su’a shoulder charged the Red V big man off the ball in the 76th minute of the Dragons 34-12 win.

Vaughan was approaching the Broncos defensive line expecting a pass from Ben Hunt when the Dragons halfback opted to go elsewhere.

c05298d1d8bb8933a621c13cd829c8e8

Paul Vaughan vomits on the field after being shoulder charged.
Vaughan was watching the ball as he eased off his run and was completely blindsided when Su’a dropped his shoulder right into the middle of Vaughan’s chest.

Vaughan vomited on the field before staggering to the sideline and vomiting again.

Su’a and the Broncos must challenge — and beat — the judiciary’s grade one charge otherwise he could miss up to two matches.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...n/news-story/9258475f4c76c4f7eaaf6863d23cb7ac
Su'a should be getting more than a 2 week suspension. Just imagine if that hit was put on Thruston or Slater. I think he would be getting a longer suspension if it was one of those 2.

PaulMcGregor

Juniors
After a win, I think it’s best to jerk Gareth all over my grinning face in the Presser.

It staves off complacency

I think it’s limited Wayne and Bellyache’s success, not doing it.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2018: Standout performance a building block for Dragons halves
Dragons Den News
r0_0_3000_2273_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Ben Hunt of the Dragons intercepts and scores during the Round 1 NRL match between the St George-Illawarra Dragons and the Brisbane Broncos at UOW Jubilee Oval in Sydney, Thursday, March 8, 2018. (AAP Image/Craig Golding) NO ARCHIVING, EDITORIAL USE ONLY
AS the Dragons six-million-dollar man, you can only hope Ben Hunt footed the bill when he had breakfast with some former Broncos teammates on Thursday morning.

It was the least he could do given it would be a matter of hours until he came back to haunt his former club – with a bit of inside knowledge to boot.

“I knew the play they were running,” Hunt said of the 50th minute intercept that set up the 22-point victory.

“I went up to jam on [Anthony] Milford but I got there a bit early so I had a crack at the ball. It was pretty exciting.

“I always get pretty excited when I score a try but to get one for your new team is pretty nice.”

It was merely the exclamation point on a dominant first-up display from the 27-year-old who also laid on Tyson Frizell’s first-half try and linked seamlessly with Gareth Widdop.

With Hunt locked down for the next six seasons, and Widdop the next four, the red v faithful will be hoping the performance is merely a sign of things to come. It’s a hope Hunt shares.

“[The combination] is coming along really well, I still think we've got a long way to go,” Hunt said.

“He's a freak footballer Gareth, he knows the game so well, he keeps calling me to do different plays and I think we're combining pretty nice.

“I think we need to improve on that now. We were a bit shaky in attack at times we weren't as crisp as we'd like to be so I still think there's room for improvement.

“I know I'm here for a long time now, I've just got to focus on my job at the Dragons and not focus on anything else.”

If Hunt was relieved to get his first game for his new club out of the way, he had nothing on Broncos Matt Lodge who threw the wayward pass.

Lodge’s return from rugby league purgatory dragged plenty of scrutiny away from Hunt’s Dragons debut, something he certainly had no problem with.

“It probably wasn't as much media hype as I thought it was going to get. I can't complain about that,” he said.

“I had a bit going on in the off season with the World Cup and getting married and things like that.

“Once preseason started everyone kept bringing [round one] up so then it started to drag on a bit like that after Christmas but it wasn’t too bad.

“I wouldn't say it's a big relief it just feels good to get the win and get it out of the way.”

With Cam McInnes at No. 9 and Matt Dufty at fullback, coach Paul McGregor is confident Thursday’s offering is merely a building block ahead of next week’s clash with Cronulla.

“I thought both our halves really dominated the game which is good,” McGregor said.

“Those two [Hunt and Widdop] are going to work well together. They’re going to be better as they play more footy.

“If you look at Gareth and Ben, Ben’s a genuine [number] seven and Gareth’s a genuine six. Gareth’s bottomless talent and he likes to play instinctive footy whereas, when you wear the seven, you’ve got to execute a game plan and a kicking game.

“Ben likes to go to the game like Gareth so you’ve got two competitive players on the football field. I think they complement each other really well and that was just the start of something we can build over the year.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...-a-building-block-for-dragons-halves/?cs=3713

GadineDS

Juniors
Great win by the Dragons. The broncos came out very fast and strong. Dragons created space to run and completed very well.

I'm keen to see them up against the sharks next week. I think the sharks were terrible against the cowboys, I would expect them to be better next week, but lets hope not.

Old Timer

Coach
I hope Aitken gets injured and Lomax gets the opportunity to show us how good he is.
FF
This is not your best work and in fact it is appalling.
The limitations of our coaching staff and selection are not as a result of anything Aitken has or hasn't done.
You should in fact wish that sectors have an epiphany and hope that the BOD follow not long after.
Much better scenario than wishing ill will on a young player.

Frank Facer

First Grade
FF
This is not your best work and in fact it is appalling.
The limitations of our coaching staff and selection are not as a result of anything Aitken has or hasn't done.
You should in fact wish that sectors have an epiphany and hope that the BOD follow not long after.
Much better scenario than wishing ill will on a young player.
Aitken had had 3 years to impress me and develop a passing game. In his first year, I hoped that he would develop his game, but he has failed to do so. I have seen enough of him and don't want him in the centres for us. I also do not want him blocking the path of one of our best prospects that we have had in a very long time, ie Lomax. Our coaching staff should have recognised his deficiencies and told him to develop his game in reserve grade. He has had one good game and received a lot of praise from Gould, Vautin and co, with Vautin even suggesting that Aitken could be an origin player. We had a poll on this site about who should be picked Aitken or Mann and the poll is 98 Mann, 7 Aitken, with Aitken receiving at least 3 more votes, since Thursday night. But now everyone has turned their attention to Lafai and forgot about Aitken. Neither are good enough. I would not have either of them in my first grade team and I am not going to change my mind about Aitken because he received praise for Gould and Vautin. The try he scored was classic Aitken HOG. He should have passed the ball to an unmarked Nightingale, but he won't pass the ball, just like he didn't for most of his career. Many other on this site have continually harped on about Aitken defensive deficiencies, but everyone appears to have forgotten about that too. I haven't.

I fully expected many fans on this site to dislike my comment and criticize me for it, but I don't care. I am sticking to my guns. Aitken isn't a centre and never was a centre. He is a powerful runner of the football and looks good when a defensive line is at six's and seven's and is on the back foot, like on Thursday night. If you all can be bothered to look up his highlight reel on youtube, you will see that he is basically a one trick pony. He scores tries from close range, by tucking the ball under his arm and going for the try line. If the coach keeps selecting him, then the only way that another player will take his position if for him to get injured.

Just imagine if we get a start like we did to last year's premiership, but then do not fall away and Lafai starts to produce what he was at the beginning of last year. Lomax and even Herbert will stay in reserve grade and won't get the opportunity to show us how good they are. That could eventually lead to Lomax leaving because we have two shit centres blocking his path.

I actually think McDonald would make a better centre than Aitken too. I think centre is McDonald's natural position. Centre is not Aitken's natural position.

And you can not keep blaming the coach and coaching staff for players deficiencies. The player in question must be accountable for their own deficiencies. I do blame the coach for still picking him though.

I don't know what BOD stands for either.

Last edited:

Dragsters

First Grade
Aitken had had 3 years to impress me and develop a passing game. In his first year, I hoped that he would develop his game, but he has failed to do so. I have seen enough of him and don't want him in the centres for us. I also do not want him blocking the path of one of our best prospects that we have had in a very long time, ie Lomax. Our coaching staff should have recognised his deficiencies and told him to develop his game in reserve grade. He has had one good game and received a lot of praise from Gould, Vautin and co, with Vautin even suggesting that Aitken could be an origin player. We had a poll on this site about who should be picked Aitken or Mann and the poll is 98 Mann, 7 Aitken, with Aitken receiving a at least 3 more votes, since Thursday night. But now everyone has turned their attention to Lafai and forgot about Aitken. Neither are good enough. I would not have either of them in my first grade team and I am not going to change my mind about Aitken because he received praise for Gould and Vautin. The try he scored was classic Aitken HOG. He should have passed the ball to an unmarked Nightingale, but he won't pass the ball, just like he didn't for most of his career. Many other on this site have continually harped on about Aitken defensive deficiencies, but everyone appears to have forgotten about that too. I haven't.

I fully expected many fans on this site to dislike my comment, but I don't care. I am sticking to my guns. Aitken isn't a centre and never was a centre. He is a powerful runner of the football and looks good when a defensive like is at six's and seven's and is on the back foot, like on Thursday night. If you all can be bothered to look up his highlight reel on youtube, you will see that he is basically a one trick pony. He scores tries from close range, by tucking the ball under his arm and going for the try line.

Just imagine if we get a start like we did to last year's premiership, but then do not fall away and Lafai starts to produce what he was at the beginning of last year. Lomax and even Herbert will stay in reserve grade and won't get the opportunity to show us how good they are. That could eventually lead to Lomax leaving because we have two shit centres blocking his path.

I actually think McDonald would make a better centre than Aitken too. I think centre is McDonald's natural position. Centre is not Aitken's natural position.

And you can not keep blaming the coach and coaching staff for players deficiencies. The player in question must be accountable for their own deficiencies. I do blame the coach for still picking him though.

I'm afraid there's no digging yourself out of that tasteless comment, particularly when you are masquerading as a dragons legend...

Frank Facer

First Grade
I will also add that the only way that I can see Aitken not being selected for the next 12 games or so, is if he gets injured. I don't want him in our team at centre. If he was playing for another club and they kept picking him at centre, I would not give a shit and be laughing at the club for picking him there.

I can also word it, that the only way, Aitken won't get picked is for him to get injured. I don't want him picked in the team.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Aitken had had 3 years to impress me and develop a passing game. In his first year, I hoped that he would develop his game, but he has failed to do so. I have seen enough of him and don't want him in the centres for us. I also do not want him blocking the path of one of our best prospects that we have had in a very long time, ie Lomax. Our coaching staff should have recognised his deficiencies and told him to develop his game in reserve grade. He has had one good game and received a lot of praise from Gould, Vautin and co, with Vautin even suggesting that Aitken could be an origin player. We had a poll on this site about who should be picked Aitken or Mann and the poll is 98 Mann, 7 Aitken, with Aitken receiving a at least 3 more votes, since Thursday night. But now everyone has turned their attention to Lafai and forgot about Aitken. Neither are good enough. I would not have either of them in my first grade team and I am not going to change my mind about Aitken because he received praise for Gould and Vautin. The try he scored was classic Aitken HOG. He should have passed the ball to an unmarked Nightingale, but he won't pass the ball, just like he didn't for most of his career. Many other on this site have continually harped on about Aitken defensive deficiencies, but everyone appears to have forgotten about that too. I haven't.

I fully expected many fans on this site to dislike my comment and criticize me for it, but I don't care. I am sticking to my guns. Aitken isn't a centre and never was a centre. He is a powerful runner of the football and looks good when a defensive like is at six's and seven's and is on the back foot, like on Thursday night. If you all can be bothered to look up his highlight reel on youtube, you will see that he is basically a one trick pony. He scores tries from close range, by tucking the ball under his arm and going for the try line. If the coach keeps selecting him, then the only way that another player will take his position if for him to get injured.

You are entitled to your option.
But do not wish ill on any player .
Let alone one that has played for this great club.
You are alound not to want him in the team but to hope he gets a injury.
Is pretty low.
And something I don't what to hear from a fellow dragon's supporter.

epDragon62

First Grade
I will also add that the only way that I can see Aitken not being selected for the next 12 games or so, is if he gets injured. I don't want him in our team at centre. If he was playing for another club and they kept picking him at centre, I would not give a shit and be laughing at the club for picking him there.

I can also word it that the only way, Aitken won't get picked is for him to get injured. I don't want him picked in the team.

One swallow doesn't make a summer.
FF, I suspect your assessment of Aitken is spot on. I’d even say it is unlikely that he will be dropped unless injured.

Still doesn’t make you saying you want him injured right, not a Dragon, not any player. It’s just poor form.

That said, if Aitken does find himself out of the team for a while, I do hope that Mann has already cemented a run on spot and Lomax gets the nod.

Latest posts