What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Changes for Round 2

BennyV

Referee
We should persist with Leilua, give him all the time he needs. It would be great to have a ball playing backrower, skill wise Luc is light years ahead of most of our other forwards, only JDB comes close. It's a bonus that he's a big bod with nice footwork and an off-load.

Be silly to change a team that won so convincingly. Apart from injuries we should probably go with the same 17 next week
No player should be given a free ride. If he’s not proving to be up to first grade standard (which he isn’t) then he should be further developing himself in ISP, lest he block opportunities for better players (Sele being the obvious one at the moment) and before his weaknesses start costing us matches.

For all the talk about his size and skill, he’s shown very little of either in his appearances to date. NRL is a different world to NYC and he can’t just push players away to get an offload. He’s got a lot to work on and shouldn’t be given ‘all the time he needs’ in first grade.

SEAT 1A

Bench
Whilst I disagreed with the initial selections that Mary made, to chop and change a winning team at this point could be detrimental and harm combinations being formed. I don't think there was any out and out shocking performances this game, just some rust and some lack of communication. Just chill and bask in the glory of flogging the Broncos for the rest of the week.

Agree BrissyRedV. First time in long time no problem with Mary's cut and paste.

Shame Host is injured. Hopefully he can come back through reggies however, he will need to force a place in the top side.

Could Mary try different options combinations due to a different team, shock horror.Luc looked a bit lost in the ISC but Sele was a cut above.

Belta

Juniors
Carlton said;
"I thought Latimore was good, not just apass. He played a no frills front rowers role and was very consistent. Took the ball up in the middle, bent the line, hit the deck andgenerally got good quick play the balls."

After watching the full game I agree. He came on and didn't miss a beat. He gelled very well both in attack and in defence. Hope he can do the same against his old club on Thursday.

Old Timer

Coach
I agree that Latimore was very solid and looked like a regular.
So does that mean you think we can win the comp this year?
If not, then exactly what benefit does a 30+ journeyman on a 1 year contract playing 1st grade bring to our club?
Having these types of players in our 1st grade team is a major part of the reason we ended up where we are today and of course our coach is a perfect fit for them.

gitano

Juniors
If not, then exactly what benefit does a 30+ journeyman on a 1 year contract playing 1st grade bring to our club?
Having these types of players in our 1st grade team is a major part of the reason we ended up where we are today and of course our coach is a perfect fit for them.

What are you even on about?

It's about a lot more than you're aware of.

Old Timer

Coach
What are you even on about?

It's about a lot more than you're aware of.
By all means please enlighten us?
You obviously think that having a 1 year plodder in 1st grade on the bench is better than working out what the youngsters can and can’t do in a year we aren’t contending for the comp.
You obviously have great reasoning how someone whose contract won’t (shouldn’t) be renewed and is keeping out youngsters learning their trade adds to our planning for next year.
So exactly what is it that I am not aware of?

denis preston

First Grade

You did see how Lawrie & Kerr went on Saturday ? Play well in reggies before promotion to NRL would be my policy.

Old Timer

Coach
You did see how Lawrie & Kerr went on Saturday ? Play well in reggies before promotion to NRL would be my policy.
Many ways to skin a cat
Sims to bench and prop rotation.
If Luc is the future (coach’s pick) then he starts and Sele onto bench.
Sele on bench will bring a lot more in the long run than Latimore ever will.
If & when Kerr / Lawrie play well then they get a shot
In between time they play reggies with and learn from Latimore
Remember if Latimore is in 1st grade who will actually teach the youngsters in reggies?
In fact not having a seasoned old timer like Latimore with them in reggies may be the very reason they lost their way last Saturday.
Players like Sele are going to learn a lot more and quicker by playing with Graham than they ever will from doing long service in reggies.

Last edited:

Belta

Juniors
Exactly, it's R1 and IMO the dragons forwards are all playing at a very high standard. Latimore maintained that level. Sele is up here as well.

Hopefuly Kerr, Lawrie, Luc and Host raise a notch or two and get their chances,

kit66

Bench
No player should be given a free ride. If he’s not proving to be up to first grade standard (which he isn’t) then he should be further developing himself in ISP, lest he block opportunities for better players (Sele being the obvious one at the moment) and before his weaknesses start costing us matches.

For all the talk about his size and skill, he’s shown very little of either in his appearances to date. NRL is a different world to NYC and he can’t just push players away to get an offload. He’s got a lot to work on and shouldn’t be given ‘all the time he needs’ in first grade.

No-one gets a free ride these days, unless Craig Young has another son in the wings.

You don't like Leilua, I get that but he's been given a shot and he should get more than 1 game to settle in and show what he's got. You'd want the same for Lomax or Kerr or anyone else. I've seen nothing wrong with him so far and as I've said a team needs a ball playing forward in their pack, preferably an edge forward. We have JDB in the middle and now we'll have Luc out wide working with Wids or Hunt linking our backline. Despite what you say, he is a very skillful player, he put in some great performances in the Cutters and I believe he'll go even better in a top grade team.
I know you prefer Host but he failed to step up last year and spent most of it on the bench used very sparingly. If he was as good as you and others think he would have replaced Thompson but he's not and he didn't. So now Luc's getting a shot and I wish him all the best.

Old Timer

Coach
No-one gets a free ride these days, unless Craig Young has another son in the wings.

You don't like Leilua, I get that but he's been given a shot and he should get more than 1 game to settle in and show what he's got. You'd want the same for Lomax or Kerr or anyone else. I've seen nothing wrong with him so far and as I've said a team needs a ball playing forward in their pack, preferably an edge forward. We have JDB in the middle and now we'll have Luc out wide working with Wids or Hunt linking our backline. Despite what you say, he is a very skillful player, he put in some great performances in the Cutters and I believe he'll go even better in a top grade team.
I know you prefer Host but he failed to step up last year and spent most of it on the bench used very sparingly. If he was as good as you and others think he would have replaced Thompson but he's not and he didn't. So now Luc's getting a shot and I wish him all the best.
In fairness no young players get a proper shot with this wanker coaching the team.
Dufty is the exception only by default and Aitken probably falls into that category as well.
If Dugan was still at the club 1 of the former would not be in 1st grade.
IMO it's not a case that Host & Sele failed to step up rather that whilst having been "so called blooded" they were
Mc Fookknuckleised and their pathway to being a regular 1st grader was totally hindered.
Luc may be suffering from that syndrome as well but IMO he just doesn't exhibit a hard enough edge and really looks to be lacking fitness which is a very big requirement to make it in 1st grade.
If he relies on just being a ball player, then he will end up going down the Bryce Cartwright path and we definitely don't want that to happen.

gitano

Juniors
By all means please enlighten us?
You obviously think that having a 1 year plodder in 1st grade on the bench is better than working out what the youngsters can and can’t do in a year we aren’t contending for the comp.
You obviously have great reasoning how someone whose contract won’t (shouldn’t) be renewed and is keeping out youngsters learning their trade adds to our planning for next year.
So exactly what is it that I am not aware of?
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Your posts this week have really highlighted your complete lack of football knowledge. Carry on though, it's entertaining.

Old Timer

Coach
You have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.

Your posts this week have really highlighted your complete lack of football knowledge. Carry on though, it's entertaining.
LOL you have failed miserably or in fact most times refused to enunciate any ideas instead you just want to criticise.
I am all for criticism but it does require some alternatives which despite several requests you have failed to offer.
So please answer my request and enlighten as to how it all works oh prophet of positivity.

gitano

Juniors
LOL you have failed miserably or in fact most times refused to enunciate any ideas instead you just want to criticise.
I am all for criticism but it does require some alternatives which despite several requests you have failed to offer.
So please answer my request and enlighten as to how it all works oh prophet of positivity.

It would take years to educate someone your level of stupid on how Rugby League works.

That's a lot of typing.

Drakon

Juniors

Sele on current form and Host if fit are the only juniors up to first grade to further improve. Luc as you say needs a bit of mongrel about him and a hard edge.

Latimore is a competent forward. Not a Hess or a Crichton but he bolstered the Sharks pack when they won the 2016 comp. Widdop has made some favourable comments about Latimore too about what he brings to the team on and off the field.

I'm fine with Latimore being in the 17 at the moment.