What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parra v Manly LIVE game day thread, March 18, 2018

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Packer and Matulino don't work hard enough to be considered elite props like Woods. A highlight reel isn't the key to success for any forward, unless they make 15+ carries every week like Traumalolo. Packer and Matulino can play a role and throw up a highlight every game or so, but it's not enough for a team to be successful.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Matulino hasn't played for the Kiwis for five years FFS. There is much more competition for Origin spots than there is for Kiwis spots.

One upside of foreign players though is that you don't lose them at Origin time.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You know what, I reckon all NRL players are tough. Packer & Matulino have played multiple times for NZ. They are tough enough. I'd back Packer & Matulino to be as tough as Woods.
I agree they are all tough, so for someone who doesn't know the players personally, or see what they deal with through the week, it's stupid to say one is tougher than another just because he's covered in tatts and stomps non-footy players out on the piss.
I'd say playing first grade to this high standard, to a standard where people are saying he is a step up from Woods (A SOO player) with a chronic knee injury is a pretty good indication of toughness.
Two games and people are calling Matulino a step up from Woods? He has 15 runs for 134 metres. Woods had better output this week alone (16 runs for 144 metres). There's a reason you could afford Matulino but not Woods.

As for Packer and Matulino's March premiership, Woods won plenty of games in rounds one and two over the years as well - he is 9 from 14 in the first two rounds whilst playing for Wests. That's a 64% win record. Compare that with his career record for the Tigers (44%) and you start to see how useful early season form is as an indicator of team quality.

I suspect you have counted your chickens with far too much enthusiasm. Much like Parra, the Tigers just don't spend enough on players to be a top side. See you at Easter.

Tiger5150

Bench
I agree they are all tough, so for someone who doesn't know the players personally, or see what they deal with through the week, it's stupid to say one is tougher than another just because he's covered in tatts and stomps non-footy players out on the piss.
I'd say its incredibly stupid to say one is tougher than the other. I also didnt say it.

Two games and people are calling Matulino a step up from Woods? He has 15 runs for 134 metres. Woods had better output this week alone (16 runs for 144 metres). There's a reason you could afford Matulino but not Woods.

I agree. Not the least of which is his eternally dodgy knee which the club knows about and managing. To get Woodsesque or better output for the price we paid for Mat's is outstanding. Very happy to have him in the team.

As for Packer and Matulino's March premiership, Woods won plenty of games in rounds one and two over the years as well - he is 9 from 14 in the first two rounds whilst playing for Wests. That's a 64% win record. Compare that with his career record for the Tigers (44%) and you start to see how useful early season form is as an indicator of team quality.

I suspect you have counted your chickens with far too much enthusiasm. Much like Parra, the Tigers just don't spend enough on players to be a top side. See you at Easter.

Christ, I've been a Tigers fan for my entire life (long time). Im not getting carried away with anything. This discussion is about whether Mats & Packer are a step up from Woods. It clearly is, if for no reason other than its two players v one for the price.

I am most expecting a collapse at some stage and would be happy with finishing 9-11 with an eye to the 8 next year.

I'll be at the Easter monday game, bringing an overseas visitor to watch the game. I am not confident at all.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'd say its incredibly stupid to say one is tougher than the other. I also didnt say it.
I never said you did. My post (to which you responded and later claimed was my intent to prove Woods was better than the Tigers players) was directed to another poster who claimed they were more aggressive and tougher than Woods. I agreed they are more aggressive but showed why Woods' toughness should be in no doubt.
I agree. Not the least of which is his eternally dodgy knee which the club knows about and managing. To get Woodsesque or better output for the price we paid for Mat's is outstanding. Very happy to have him in the team.
He's certainly a first grader.
Christ, I've been a Tigers fan for my entire life (long time). Im not getting carried away with anything. This discussion is about whether Mats & Packer are a step up from Woods. It clearly is, if for no reason other than its two players v one for the price.
Maybe so. But I don't know how much they're on and neither do you.
I am most expecting a collapse at some stage and would be happy with finishing 9-11 with an eye to the 8 next year.
That seems fair. The Tigers have a good coach now and being smart with the cap they can at least hope to be as good as Parra (a top eight team with a chance of sneaking into the four like last year).
I'll be at the Easter monday game, bringing an overseas visitor to watch the game. I am not confident at all.
I'm never confident in this f**king team. Maybe over a season but not in any given game.

Clifferd

Coach
Packer and Matulino don't work hard enough to be considered elite props like Woods.

Sorry I nearly spat out my food

If Woods is elite than so am i. He is the most overrated forward playing in the game today, but don’t let the stats fool you. He ass runs at the line slower than a turtle, and rarely if ever dominates a ruck. Most of his hit ups are on the 3/4th tackle after the dirty runs have been taken

He also likes to spit on his own club whilst contracted and the club captain

Woods was pretty good in his first couple years in grade To crack rep teams, but ever since then he hasn’t worked hard enough to maintain that intensity. Wouldn’t even be in the top 10 props in the game yet he’s a walk in selection to the blues and Aus for some reason

TheParraboy

Staff member
No brainer

Woods over the two tigers props

Matulino was the form prop of the game 5-6 years back. Id take Latimore over him now

I like Ivan Cleary, Benji and the tigers overall, hoping they do real well this year BUT when you have dickwad supporters coming in here when we are hurting after a huge loss that has nothing to do with them, well then im kinda hoping they crash and burn big time

84 Baby

Referee
BUT when you have dickwad supporters coming in here when we are hurting after a huge loss that has nothing to do with them, well then im kinda hoping they crash and burn big time
Says a lot about their club as a whole when going 2 for 2 they'd still rather come to our site. Especially given neither of those 2 wins were against us, and we don't play them for weeks.
Maybe it says more about how popular our club really is. Secretly every NRL supporter loves our club

Clifferd

Coach
No brainer

Woods over the two tigers props

Matulino was the form prop of the game 5-6 years back. Id take Latimore over him now

I like Ivan Cleary, Benji and the tigers overall, hoping they do real well this year BUT when you have dickwad supporters coming in here when we are hurting after a huge loss that has nothing to do with them, well then im kinda hoping they crash and burn big time

On a serious note though

Do you think if BA had his time over again he’d have kept Alex Twal?

I still can’t believe you blokes let him go

84 Baby

Referee
On a serious note though

Do you think if BA had his time over again he’d have kept Alex Twal?

I still can’t believe you blokes let him go
Would he have stood in his way knowing that he was likely good enough for 1st grade but wouldn't have fit within our squad?

Djay

Juniors
Never met a saltier bunch of fans, whichever play left them last year was a superstar in they're colours now all of a sudden they are rubbish.

Find something better to do with your lives and thanks for Moses, the guys a genuine gun.