What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

Saintsified

Bench
What the....?
Have you ever played a sport?
There are bad coaches and there are good coaches.
Of course Greene got them up for each semi final and into the big one.
Yes the players need skill and talent.....but Greene created the environment to get them there.

Mary couldn't get us past the grubs in the final match.

A good coach makes a team.
Question is have you played sport? Good players or player makes the coach get a name , most get lucky and inherit a finished product.

I agree with you in the development years that a coach is the most important person, however in the pro years it's the players who can make or break a coach.

For eg, if Saints win the comp this year , will it be Hunt, Graham, Widdop for eg who have made Mary a successful coach or has Mary all of a sudden become a Paul Green type supercoach ?

Last edited:

ouryears

Bench
Yes but only if the players themselves are capable and are high achievers, Cowboys had that. Doubt they will this year and Green will be then regarded an average coach who got lucky.
mate seriously, a team can have average players and with a great coach they become a great team, not individually great players. Look at Cleary at West tigers, Jason Taylor had them at the bottom, they lost Tedesco,Woods and others but Cleary has improved them 500%.

Bellamy turns average players into very good players. Green has nothing more to prove, his winning percentage says it all

A great coach transforms incapable players with no motivation into capable motivated players

ouryears

Bench
Question is have you played sport? Good players or player makes the coach get a name , most get lucky and inherit a finished product.

I agree with you in the development years that a coach is the most important person, however in the pro years it's the players who can make or break a coach.

For eg, if Saints win the comp this year , will it be Hunt, Graham, Widdop for eg who have made Mary a successful coach or has Mary all of a sudden become a Paul Green type supercoach ?

You answered the question yourself in the above comment

Mary needs great players to win a comp, that’s why he is not a great coach

Great coaches don’t need great players, a great coach creates a great team.

I’ve played under poor coaches, we finished 10th, the same team with a new great coach won two straight comps .....with a great coach.

I am not here to convince you, your thoughts on this are pretty strange but you are entitled to your opinion

Saintsified

Bench
You do realise Green has only been coaching since 2014 right? Made the finals every time. Won a Grand Final. Not a bad record.
Doing as good as Trent or Ricky , but still not convinced he is a good coach.

What would Nathan Brown of done with a better team then? Again yes I agree coaches need to know how to manage however , players make coaches. Take Smith, Slater and Crinkle Cronk out of Storm , doubt Bellamy would be looking so Rosie.

What would Nathan Brown of done with a better team then? Again yes I agree coaches need to know how to manage however , players make coaches. Take Smith, Slater and Crinkle Cronk out of Storm , doubt Bellamy would be looking so Rosie.

Umm I’m pretty sure at one stage Nathan Browne had 7 state of origin players in his Dragons team, still didn’t win many.

BennyV

Referee
No chance in th world.
If it happens it will be
Green to Broncos
Walters to Cowboys
Dragons haven’t planned for a premiership this year - top 4 finish and Mary has done his job this year. Needs to win a premiership though over next 2-3 years w this squad and emerging talent . If he makes GF this year they will give him the keys to Wollongong and Kogarah!
I fear that under Mary, this year is our only chance and that's with the element of surprise and crackdown on refereeing. Doesnt look like many, if any, upgrades available to the squad next year, we'll be relying on youngsters to make the jump full time AND our coaching staff has shown they have a single game plan and no back up or adaptation. At present, I think our window is this year and even that is iffy.

TomRedVRiver

Bench

Ricky Stuart has been coaching since 2002. Robinson since 2011. Both coaches have had a head start on Green, particularly Ricky.

I don't think it's as simple as "players make coaches". Look at that Storm system. Where did Felise Kaufusi come from? What about Vunivalu, Curtis Scott, Addo-Carr, Joe Stimson, Asofa-Solomona. It's just a conveyer belt of quality players down there because they're in a quality system with an elite coach. It's safe to say the coach makes the players there.

It's similar to the Cowboys system. Look at Bolton, Asiata, Hess, Hampton, Morgan, Feldt. All of these guys have come from nothing or were mediocre before Green took the job, but they've stepped up and want to play well for their coach.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Most coaches are only as good as their rosters and player availability. I think that coaches like Bennett, Flanagan, Green, Maguire and Robinson have/had declining
rosters. The Dragons, Tigers and Warriors have improved their rosters and less players at the back end of their careers and their competitiveness has caught people by surprise. I believe the times are a changing and say Yippee!

There are three very distinct types of coaches ... We have seen all three at the dragons recently

1. The coach that needs the players ... This is Mary ... He needs to have "the roster he wants" to compete. Recruitment have given him that and we are seeing some benefit. However this benefits from the players and the work of their coaches in the past. Mary is leveraging the work of Widdop/Hunt/Graham and a lesser extent McInness to get us going forward. A coach that can see what the team needs and recruit existing players into that space. This is also bennett who can use his profile to recruit talent into the joint as we saw in 09/10. However it is not future looking and can leave a club in ruins.

2. The coach with a long term plan ... This is Brownie. He is a bloke that has an eye for juniors. Brings them through. He sees the gaps in the roster and plans to develop the players to fill those gaps. It is a long term strategy that the coach may not see through. It can however set up a place for future success as we saw with Bennett who was able to augment a strong roster with the final pieces.

3. The coach who gets the best from what he has .. This is Waite/Smith. These are coaches that can really break down their players games and work out what they can/cannot do and develop a plan that uses the skills of the existing roster. It generates almost immediate success as we saw in 92/96. These are the blokes I respect the most as coaches. A real deep understanding of the game and strategy.

Mary/Recruitment have put together a team which is formidable at the moment ... However Mary has very little to do with the individual growth in the players who are leading the way for us.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
There are three very distinct types of coaches ... We have seen all three at the dragons recently

1. The coach that needs the players ... This is Mary ... He needs to have "the roster he wants" to compete. Recruitment have given him that and we are seeing some benefit. However this benefits from the players and the work of their coaches in the past. Mary is leveraging the work of Widdop/Hunt/Graham and a lesser extent McInness to get us going forward. A coach that can see what the team needs and recruit existing players into that space. This is also bennett who can use his profile to recruit talent into the joint as we saw in 09/10. However it is not future looking and can leave a club in ruins.

2. The coach with a long term plan ... This is Brownie. He is a bloke that has an eye for juniors. Brings them through. He sees the gaps in the roster and plans to develop the players to fill those gaps. It is a long term strategy that the coach may not see through. It can however set up a place for future success as we saw with Bennett who was able to augment a strong roster with the final pieces.

3. The coach who gets the best from what he has .. This is Waite/Smith. These are coaches that can really break down their players games and work out what they can/cannot do and develop a plan that uses the skills of the existing roster. It generates almost immediate success as we saw in 92/96. These are the blokes I respect the most as coaches. A real deep understanding of the game and strategy.

Mary/Recruitment have put together a team which is formidable at the moment ... However Mary has very little to do with the individual growth in the players who are leading the way for us.

Agree totally Rufus.
You nailed it

giboz71

First Grade
Lol, it’s funny how the debate whether players or coaches win comps has arisen now given guys like Mary and Kearney are 4-0 and Green and Bennett are struggling.

It’s the same old story, guys like Bennett and Green and even Hasler are all good coaches but at the same time they can’t work miracles. If their players don’t perform on the field, they’ll look just like mere mortals (and in Hasler’s case, they get punted).

Generally the better coaches have the best players that want to play for them, hence they have a distinct advantage over the rest. Bennett always had good squads including our premiership side that was primed by Brown the years before he came.

I’ve always thought Mary’s squads haven’t been great till this year. Finally having a world class half makes such a difference. Hence at this stage anyway, he’s resembling a pretty decent coach.

Life's Good

Coach
Green would be very welcome as far as I’m concerned unfortunately it won’t happen so this thread is a bit of wishful thinking.
Our chance for a new coach was late 16 & that didn’t happen. We won’t be part of this coaching merry go round particularly if our form continues for a finals run.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
I can't comment on the inner workings of the Dragons dressing room, but when Mary speaks to the media he comes across as one really dumb merkin with comments such as "if games finished at half time, we'd be in the 8 easily" or "if we didn't concede tries from kicks, we would have won the game".

Saintsified

Bench
Umm I’m pretty sure at one stage Nathan Browne had 7 state of origin players in his Dragons team, still didn’t win many.
Umm cause his team decided not to step up. Coaches can't make teams step up, I believe it's the leadership group of teams that have that capacity to do so. Graham for eg has sparked our forwards, not Mary, at Cowgirls it was the two JTs on and off the field.

Pretty sure those two players can't be coached by Green, they were born to play and we're already accomplished players.

Saintsified

Bench

Summed it up well.

mickeylane

Bench
Lol, it’s funny how the debate whether players or coaches win comps has arisen now given guys like Mary and Kearney are 4-0 and Green and Bennett are struggling.

It’s the same old story, guys like Bennett and Green and even Hasler are all good coaches but at the same time they can’t work miracles. If their players don’t perform on the field, they’ll look just like mere mortals (and in Hasler’s case, they get punted).

Generally the better coaches have the best players that want to play for them, hence they have a distinct advantage over the rest. Bennett always had good squads including our premiership side that was primed by Brown the years before he came.

I’ve always thought Mary’s squads haven’t been great till this year. Finally having a world class half makes such a difference. Hence at this stage anyway, he’s resembling a pretty decent coach.
I've seen 3 interviews this week w Dragons players all lauding Mcgregors man management skills and how he's helped them reach the level of performance they are currently performing at - Players interviewed:
Paul Vaughan
Ben Hunt
JDB

ouryears

Bench
Umm cause his team decided not to step up. Coaches can't make teams step up, I believe it's the leadership group of teams that have that capacity to do so. Graham for eg has sparked our forwards, not Mary, at Cowgirls it was the two JTs on and off the field.

Pretty sure those two players can't be coached by Green, they were born to play and we're already accomplished players.
Umm....whatever

Latest posts