What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Macquarie sports radio

Generalzod

Immortal
The old 2ue lifestyle has become a sports channel (Macquarie Sports Radio) 24 hrs dedicated sports channel . Has anyone been listening to it with John Stanley and Beau Ryan in the morning?
I don’t know whether this will work we already have Skysports radio doing a sports program in the morning and 2sm talkin sport drop the g in the afternoon. How much sports can they talk about it will be just repetitive bullshit.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Yes - it's pretty nice to have a sports radio station for whenever I'm in the car. Todd Greenberg was on this morning discussing the new stadia in Sydney amongst other things. The RL content has been pretty good so far, I'm enjoying it. We don't seem to get bagged on the radio like we do on TV and in the papers.

Dodgy

Juniors
Now, knowing a bit of the history of this site and how pissed you guys get over the type of air time RL gets, this station (because we're all exposed to it) interests me a lot.

Idk the breakdown of AFL/NRL talk. But having been a rusted on SEN listener since it started, sometimes it just good to listen to a different voice talking about different subjects.

Unimpressed with the Melbourne breakfast team, I much rather listen to Stanley and Ryan.

While I know of him, I haven't ever really been exposed to much of David Morrow. I don't mind him, he seem to keep track of a lot of sports. Tiff Cherry is bland, and Matt Thompson was one of the most hated personalities when he was on SEN.

I don't mind the midday slot. Lightweight chatter to fill in the time. I like the evenings host, Julian King, although Idk how you guys rate him?

But it's drive that really interests me as far as this thread goes. Two guys who know jack about RL outside Smith, Slater and Cronk. Marko got on the nerves of a lot of SEN listeners, and Ox hasn't improved in any area of radio broadcasting, despite being on it for 12+ years.

What's surprised me so far, is that while they've taken up a shift after being booted off SEN, most of their contributors are all contributors who got booted of SEN as well!

Delboy

First Grade
Try to listen as much as possible, but can't understand why they think there is any real interest in AFL in the Sydney/Brisbane market, like I do would imagine 95% of the audience tune in elsewhere when they start dribbling about fumbleball.

That is a massive weakness currently, an overestimation of the interest in the rival code I guess in the 2 major cities.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Try to listen as much as possible, but can't understand why they think there is any real interest in AFL in the Sydney/Brisbane market, like I do would imagine 95% of the audience tune in elsewhere when they start dribbling about fumbleball.

That is a massive weakness currently, an overestimation of the interest in the rival code I guess in the 2 major cities.

Yep, the average attendances and TV ratings of the Swans, GWS, Lions and Suns show you how little interest there is:

GWS - no one cares
Suns - no one cares
Lions - no one cares
Swans - the most successful of the four and the most established have the benefit of all AFL fans in a city of 5 million accumulate to follow one team (or attend to see the team they are playing against) and they still only get 35k at the game and terrible ratings and that is after 36 years of trying.

Dodgy

Juniors
Did David Morrow crack it because the news of 5 immortals were going to be inducted wasn't leaked to him?

JokerEel

Coach

I am not a fan of AFL at all but the commentators on the radio in the afternoon actual sound intelligent when they are speaking about it and not toeing the AFL is the best sport in the world line..

Piggy is good in the mornings glad the got rid of Beau Ryan!

taipan

Referee
Now, knowing a bit of the history of this site and how pissed you guys get over the type of air time RL gets, this station (because we're all exposed to it) interests me a lot.

Idk the breakdown of AFL/NRL talk. But having been a rusted on SEN listener since it started, sometimes it just good to listen to a different voice talking about different subjects.

Unimpressed with the Melbourne breakfast team, I much rather listen to Stanley and Ryan.

While I know of him, I haven't ever really been exposed to much of David Morrow. I don't mind him, he seem to keep track of a lot of sports. Tiff Cherry is bland, and Matt Thompson was one of the most hated personalities when he was on SEN.

I don't mind the midday slot. Lightweight chatter to fill in the time. I like the evenings host, Julian King, although Idk how you guys rate him?

But it's drive that really interests me as far as this thread goes. Two guys who know jack about RL outside Smith, Slater and Cronk. Marko got on the nerves of a lot of SEN listeners, and Ox hasn't improved in any area of radio broadcasting, despite being on it for 12+ years.

What's surprised me so far, is that while they've taken up a shift after being booted off SEN, most of their contributors are all contributors who got booted of SEN as well!

Whose the bird on the afternoon shift, she sounds more balanced, than the other two AFL tragics?
Seems to be far more AFL boot licking, than NRL boot licking.

TeamSatan

Juniors
Wow.
Back in oz for a couple of weeks so thought listening to the new station might be worthwhile.
No.
Seriously some woman on the morning show is the biggest afl stooge.
The subject being soccer or usain bolt whatever. Get about a second of bolt and she butts in with comparisons to afl and never shuts up.
Dude says let's talk NRL.
He starts then seconds later she drags up every negative possible about NRL then starts talking afl again.
Then they have the afl segment and I swear she was packing a 10 speed 12 incher cause she was blowing everyone.
Insane radio.
At night they had a call in segment.
First guy up they ask him what he wants to say. He says "carn the hawks".
Second guy. He says "carn the pies".

This is not a quality radio station.

What happened to am radio??

Generalzod

Immortal
Wow.
Back in oz for a couple of weeks so thought listening to the new station might be worthwhile.
No.
Seriously some woman on the morning show is the biggest afl stooge.
The subject being soccer or usain bolt whatever. Get about a second of bolt and she butts in with comparisons to afl and never shuts up.
Dude says let's talk NRL.
He starts then seconds later she drags up every negative possible about NRL then starts talking afl again.
Then they have the afl segment and I swear she was packing a 10 speed 12 incher cause she was blowing everyone.
Insane radio.
At night they had a call in segment.
First guy up they ask him what he wants to say. He says "carn the hawks".
Second guy. He says "carn the pies".

This is not a quality radio station.

What happened to am radio??
It's pathetic just look at the ratings:

http://0104.nccdn.net/1_5/146/118/371/GfK_Radio-Ratings-Report-Sydney_Survey-5-2018.pdf

Brutus

Referee
The station will not survive the year.

Listening to Melbourne idiots talk AFL is painful, but not as painful as listening to their failed attempts at discussing rugby league.

Car crash radio.

Thankfully I have never listened for more than 2 mins a time.

taipan

Referee
You should listen to the 2UE afternoon show.Two guys and one female.Two guys AFL tragics,one from Hobart.The guy from Hobart ,you could almost hear his licking the boots of his AFL guests.No criticisms ,all good blokes,dong wonderful jobs for their clubs.Help ladies over the roads.

Some AFL dudes(players) comes on for about 25 minutes explaining what they do etc , then at about 5 minutes to the hourTurvey gives his NRL tips and says see ya later..

The amount of time given to AFL, particularly to other state clubs is over the top.The woman also is very pro AFL.,although has shown some rl knowledge.

If this show lasts ,then it shows radio in Sydney has lost the plot.
This happened in Melbourne ,it wouldn't last a month.