What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Payne Haas off contract.

Brutalitops

Juniors
Well you would be crazy to not show interest. Yeah Broncos will likely get him but this kid has the potential to be the next Taumalolo, and if not, then still an extremely solid forward.

Would welcome him to the club

possm

Coach
Well you would be crazy to not show interest. Yeah Broncos will likely get him but this kid has the potential to be the next Taumalolo, and if not, then still an extremely solid forward.

Would welcome him to the club
The problem is that both of these young Broncos forwards are far more advanced than the young forwards we have sitting in the ISP. The idea is to have ready replacements and a good rotation. We have a good NRL side and very little backup. Millward needs to pull his figure out and make the moves that will benefit the Dragons. The Broncos surely could not afford both if we offered both big bucks with the thought that we would only buy one.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I would take Shannon Boyd if we could get him for the right price. I thought he was going to be pretty good early in his career, but he hasn't gone on with it yet, but props often take time to mature.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Gosh, you base big $ on first impressions? By that reasoning we should have paid Daine Laurie $500k for 4 years...

Frank Facer

First Grade
Gosh, you base big $ on first impressions? By that reasoning we should have paid Daine Laurie $500k for 4 years...
I have got a good eye for talent and would back my judgement. Other clubs are already apparently prepared to pay Haas between 500 to 600K a year, I would go 700K a season for Haas over 4 years no worries. If we got him, by the time he got to our club he would 20 years old. With the salary cap most likely going up over the next few years, it would probably turn out to be one of the best buys we have ever made.

Frank Facer

First Grade
From the little I have seen of Laurie I think he will be lucky to make it to be a regular first grader. Haas is a very special talent who will live up to the hype. There is no comparison with Haas and Laurie.

Gareth67

First Grade
Shat Frank , for that sort of money we could sign Leeson Ah Mau and his sons for the next 10 years at least .

possm

Coach
Haas is good young talent and probably being offered about 400k by Bennett. If we could get him that would be great because we definitely need a fourth prop in our rotation. Latimore does not do it for me. Now if that means losing Allgood, Latimore and others so be it. We need a fourth prop now but 2019 will have to do.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Haas is good young talent and probably being offered about 400k by Bennett. If we could get him that would be great because we definitely need a fourth prop in our rotation. Latimore does not do it for me. Now if that means losing Allgood, Latimore and others so be it. We need a fourth prop now but 2019 will have to do.
If we signed Haas, we wouldn't get him until 2020. He could replace Graham then. I know Graham has a 2 year deal, with the option of a 3rd year in his favor.

gitano

Juniors
From the little I have seen of Laurie I think he will be lucky to make it to be a regular first grader. Haas is a very special talent who will live up to the hype. There is no comparison with Haas and Laurie.
I think you might be referring to Blake Lawrie, not the former tigers/panthers player jokingly mentioned.

But yeah, doubts remain if Blake has what it takes.

ouryears

Bench
The problem is that both of these young Broncos forwards are far more advanced than the young forwards we have sitting in the ISP. The idea is to have ready replacements and a good rotation. We have a good NRL side and very little backup. Millward needs to pull his figure out and make the moves that will benefit the Dragons. The Broncos surely could not afford both if we offered both big bucks with the thought that we would only buy one.
TPAs possum
$$$$$$$$$$

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It’s nice to dream guys but he won’t leave the broncos

And third party $$ will help keep him there as well as his circle of family and friends

We need to target someone who will move

Spot on, can't legally approach him anyway and Brisbane will lock him up long before he comes onto the open market.

Next.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I have got a good eye for talent and would back my judgement. Other clubs are already apparently prepared to pay Haas between 500 to 600K a year, I would go 700K a season for Haas over 4 years no worries. If we got him, by the time he got to our club he would 20 years old. With the salary cap most likely going up over the next few years, it would probably turn out to be one of the best buys we have ever made.

You're a good judge of talent? The kid is a big boy, no doubt, but he was running through kids his age and much smaller. That's why he looked so good in the lower grades. NRL is a different ball game.

700k a season is ludicrous. Even if you're right and he becomes a great player you'd a dud businessman; that kind of money for a bloke who's just debuted f**ks salary caps.

You misunderstand the point I was making.

Latest posts