What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

Saintsified

Bench
Thank goodness Mary is the selector and he knows who brings what to the team.

And Mary says Nighty is earning his spot.

If this forum picked the team, Aitken, Nighty, Nene, McInnes, Lafai, Lattimore and even Dufty would be in ISP and we would be level with Parra.

Guys, don't give up your day jobs.

Nailed it

ouryears

Bench
I am assuming you aimed that comment at me.
I am not "blaming" McGregor.
Just pointing out that seeing as there is a groundswell of sentiment wanting to drop Nightingale, McGregor is the only one that has the power to do it.
I am happy to persevere with Nightingale.
Totally agree that Aitkin in particular, is a liability in defence.
Yet he is being talked up as a SOO prospect.
so no ones to blame but we agree that our right side defence is shaky. Right?
It is shaky mate and we do need to fix it for sure.

But I think the answer is fixing it with the current group of players, not by bringing up guys from ISP who have leaked DOUBLE the number of points and have lost FOUR times the number of games than our first grade side has.

Ok, let’s get some perspective here shall we.

“Our right side defence is shaky”
Sure, the Storm scored three try’s down that side, but that was the only three try’s they scored.
The majority of teams these day see our middle as pretty tough to get through, therefore they do what every team does these days and spread the ball from sideline to sideline to stretch the defence, which like every team playing, is compressed.

When you have a fast winger like Addo Carr he’s going to get around most players.

People seem to believe that if we replace Nighty we can hold every team to zero, it’s just not realistic.
We have the best defence in the league, can we not just celebrate that fact.

The Damo

Juniors
Ok, let’s get some perspective here shall we.

“Our right side defence is shaky”
Sure, the Storm scored three try’s down that side, but that was the only three try’s they scored.
The majority of teams these day see our middle as pretty tough to get through, therefore they do what every team does these days and spread the ball from sideline to sideline to stretch the defence, which like every team playing, is compressed.

When you have a fast winger like Addo Carr he’s going to get around most players.

People seem to believe that if we replace Nighty we can hold every team to zero, it’s just not realistic.
We have the best defence in the league, can we not just celebrate that fact.
When the second best attack in the league can only score on the very edge of the field, through probably the fastest most in form winger in the league, there’s a lot more going right with our defence than going wrong.
Sure that edge needs to keep working on improving its cohesiveness, but in perspective the sky is not falling.

It is shaky mate and we do need to fix it for sure.

But I think the answer is fixing it with the current group of players, not by bringing up guys from ISP who have leaked DOUBLE the number of points and have lost FOUR times the number of games than our first grade side has.
Totally agree
I just don't think there are a lot of options.
Mann would have been an option but his role is clearly defined now and he does very well when comes on.
Swapping McDonald back to right wing and we are going backwards.
Who else is there?
My argument re Nightingale is a bit rhetorical as he is still going to do what he does best.
Cart the ball up from the back, diffuse those impossible high balls and score the occasional contortionist try.

ouryears

Bench
Totally agree
I just don't think there are a lot of options.
Mann would have been an option but his role is clearly defined now and he does very well when comes on.
Swapping McDonald back to right wing and we are going backwards.
Who else is there?
My argument re Nightingale is a bit rhetorical as he is still going to do what he does best.
Cart the ball up from the back, diffuse those impossible high balls and score the occasional contortionist try.

Once nighty retires we do have Lomax ready to go, he is fast as and has great hands.
(see U tube)

Love nighty, but surely he won't play in 2019?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Once nighty retires we do have Lomax ready to go, he is fast as and has great hands.
(see U tube)

Love nighty, but surely he won't play in 2019?

blowing our loads over a winger who takes early set hit ups and makes metres yet cannot score, cannot stop the opposition from scoring and makes more errors than any other winger in the game.

Well Nene makes more metres than him so there are obviously other people in the world capable of doing the only thing Nighty does now. Hell Leeson ah mau would be a better option on the wing if that is your only criteria.

At least one of those tries, if not two a faster bloke is a chance of stopping ...

you say Addo carr is doing what he did to every team - well no .. he hasn't scored a hat trick against any other defence in the league this year and it was a dodgy decision that stopped it from being 4. He hasn't made 5 line breaks in pretty much any other game of his career .. let alone the 6 it should have been.

The sky is most definitely not falling in, the team though can and should be better.

In 2010 Wayne bennet tapped an extremely experienced, premiership winning, state and national rep on the shoulder to make the team better .. it worked.

ouryears

Bench
blowing our loads over a winger who takes early set hit ups and makes metres yet cannot score, cannot stop the opposition from scoring and makes more errors than any other winger in the game.

Well Nene makes more metres than him so there are obviously other people in the world capable of doing the only thing Nighty does now. Hell Leeson ah mau would be a better option on the wing if that is your only criteria.

At least one of those tries, if not two a faster bloke is a chance of stopping ...

you say Addo carr is doing what he did to every team - well no .. he hasn't scored a hat trick against any other defence in the league this year and it was a dodgy decision that stopped it from being 4. He hasn't made 5 line breaks in pretty much any other game of his career .. let alone the 6 it should have been.

The sky is most definitely not falling in, the team though can and should be better.

In 2010 Wayne bennet tapped an extremely experienced, premiership winning, state and national rep on the shoulder to make the team better .. it worked.

Ranter.

ALSGI

Bench

Agree, have agreed since the start of last year, started a thread Jason Nightingale 2017.
Just wont hapen though.
Last year I wanted Mann, Dufty, Field anybody to replace him. Now I’d prefer Lomax, Herbert or Perriera becuase Mann’s excellent in his current role.
Hope what Nighty does still have, leadership, skill, presence and experience is enough to get us through but I fear he will continue to cost us in both attack and defence.
Wish the champion all the best for what has to be his last year. I hate reading all the negativity towards him and despite thinking there should be no sentimentality when picking teams the game wouldn’t be the same without passion, sentiment and loyalty.
Last I will say on Nighty on the forum, unless it’s positive.

Who the hell is "blowing their load"?
If you want to exaggerate and stick your point of view up everyone's nose then go ahead but you aren't a serious poster.
Bellamy was always going to target Aitkin and Nightingale and I don't think any winger in our ranks at least - would've have done any better.
Ado Carr IS doing it to everyone - whether he scores 2 or 3 tries every time is not really relevant.
So you reckon LAM could have done what Nightingale did on Anzac Day?
Everyone gets that Nightingale is at the end of his career but I don't think he deserves to be rubbished like you do.

Who the hell is "blowing their load"?
If you want to exaggerate and stick your point of view up everyone's nose then go ahead but you aren't a serious poster.
Bellamy was always going to target Aitkin and Nightingale and I don't think any winger in our ranks at least - would've have done any better.
Ado Carr IS doing it to everyone - whether he scores 2 or 3 tries every time is not really relevant.
So you reckon LAM could have done what Nightingale did on Anzac Day?
Everyone gets that Nightingale is at the end of his career but I don't think he deserves to be rubbished like you do.

Plus why do people think LAM, Graham, Vaughn etc make so many metres?
It’s because they get to have rest coming back onside from kicks while Nightingale, Nene and Lafai are doing the hard yards coming out of trouble.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Plus why do people think LAM, Graham, Vaughn etc make so many metres?
It’s because they get to have rest coming back onside from kicks while Nightingale, Nene and Lafai are doing the hard yards coming out of trouble.

so you are saying that no other player could make those early tackle hit ups? I mean it is the only thing that Nighty is doing semi competently at the moment. Why are you so scared of becoming a better team?

RufusRex

Post Whore
Nighty has made 15 errors this year, he should go.
Widdop has made 15 errors this year to, Reggie’s it is then.

the dumbest analogy of the lot .. no wonder ouryears liked it

Widdop has 15 errors and leads the comp in points/try assists.
Nightingale has 15 errors and makes less metres, tries, try saves, breaks than our other winger.

ouryears

Bench
the dumbest analogy of the lot .. no wonder ouryears liked it

Widdop has 15 errors and leads the comp in points/try assists.
Nightingale has 15 errors and makes less metres, tries, try saves, breaks than our other winger.
You are saying BS stats.
Less everything you say.
Lol
Please go away, constructive critique is welcome but bagging and writing BS isn't.

Saintsified

Bench
Did anyone pick up Mary describing the middle and left side defence in glowing terms while staying silent about the right?

He knows it’s a problem, now what he do?
I think it's more him thinking sure they had an average day but won't focus on that, Nighty has got this, our most trustworthy player will reverse his mistakes to something good again in following weeks.

Nothing to see around here.