What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale its time.

SEAT 1A

Bench
I don’t understand why they moved it?
Half the crowd can’t see it and on a sunny afternoon I’m sure the crowd in the grandstand can’t either.

The club may have got some complaints from the members in the grandstand to move it closer to them BGB however, as you say, the sun makes it hard to see.

You can't keep everybody happy however, you should place it where the majority of people can view the play.

ouryears

Bench
People on here really need to re watch the game and realise those tries had very little to do with Nightingale. First try looked a lot like a forward pass from Slater to Carr ( as likely was Hunts pass to Aitken for our first try), the last try in the dying minutes was due to some brilliant work by Melbourne including a magic flick pass by the centre. Frizzell missed the tackle that led to the other try. Yes it resulted in making Nightingale look like he was out of position (but only due to other circumstances) but hey Melbourne do that to plenty of good back lines. He did mange to help bundle Carr into touch late in the game too after a forward pass from Slater, something I haven't seen happen to Carr very often.
Very true everything you wrote Lovemedragons.

I watched the match again last night, in the first 15 mins nighty helped tackle and close down several threatening players, he missed zero tackles in that first crucial 20 mins.

He also ran the ball back taking pressure off the forwards.

In each of the Ado Carr tries Nighty was following the teams PLAN for a compressed defence.

He was standing infield because THAT WAS the teams game plan, nothing to do with his personal choice!

I am sure if he stood out wider and storm scored on the inside, people would blame him too.

He could stand opposite Ado Carr and tackle him one on one every day of the week, but storm would then run extra players at Aitken and they would score on the inside, without Ado Carr even seeing the ball

Our game plan dictated where Nighty defended from, and carrs tries were from throwing great passes around the compressed defence.

Nighty missed zero tackles.

If we want to prevent it next time we play them, we have to shut the ball down before it gets too far from the ruck area.

So our line speed has to improve, not nighty.

The compressed D worked, keeping storm to 3 tries is a great feat. #34/14

RufusRex

Post Whore
You do realise if he were faster he wouldn't need to compress in so far don't you - he would still be able to maintain structure with Aitken and be fast enough to cover in and out ... Being so slow means he needs to be closer in the defensive structure and therefore opens wider gaps outside him. It doubles down on stupidity to play that person in that structure.

Also he missed 5 tackles according to NRL stats (the most out of the entire team) but I am sure you don't want to let documented facts get in the way of your love affair.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
You do realise if he were faster he wouldn't need to compress in so far don't you - he would still be able to maintain structure with Aitken and be fast enough to cover in and out ... Being so slow means he needs to be closer in the defensive structure and therefore opens wider gaps outside him. It doubles down on stupidity to play that person in that structure.

Also he missed 5 tackles according to NRL stats (the most out of the entire team) but I am sure you don't want to let documented facts get in the way of your love affair.
oh FFS let it ride, McGregor can decide and live by his decision.

RufusRex

Post Whore
Did Nighty run over your dog?
Come on you can tell us.

Jason Nightingale is a Dragons legend, ex international, premiership winning player who is playing one season too many ... The dude should never be thirsty in a bar where another dragons fan is standing.

Pretty easy to understand isn't it. I don't hate him at all, I hate that the dragons (mary) don't have the stones to make an obviously required change to improve the team.

Hopefully the combination of this week/origin will reveal it moreso and the change get made ...

ouryears

Bench
Did Addo Carr run around Nightingale and make him look silly on the weekend?

He didn't run around him Frank.
Nighty was defending in a compressed defensive line, as per game plan.

Storm threw a long pass that went past where Nighty was in the line.

We can debate the compressed defensive strategy vs man on man strategy, but nighty WAS where he was meant to be.

Our compressed defence kept storm to only 3 tries.

Ado Carr never ran around him at all.

Job done.
Plan executed.

Nothing to do with nighty.

ouryears

Bench
Jason Nightingale is a Dragons legend, ex international, premiership winning player who is playing one season too many ... The dude should never be thirsty in a bar where another dragons fan is standing.

Pretty easy to understand isn't it. I don't hate him at all, I hate that the dragons (mary) don't have the stones to make an obviously required change to improve the team.

Hopefully the combination of this week/origin will reveal it moreso and the change get made ...

Watching the game live at the ground plus again on tele I would actually give nighty
7.5 /10.

He had a good game.

Why?
Nighty was defending in a compressed defensive line,
as per game plan.

Storm threw a long pass that went past where Nighty was in the line.

No one beat him or ran around him.

We can debate the compressed defensive strategy VS man on man strategy, but Nighty WAS where he was meant to be.

Our compressed defence kept storm to only 3 tries.

Awesome effort.

Ado Carr never ran around him at all.

Job done.
Game Plan executed.

ouryears

Bench
doesn't mean we cant improve

Hate to ruin your party but Zac Lomax has 2nd highest error rate in ISP.
See below.
It may also double under the pressure in first grade.

Give me nighty till he sees it out this year.

NEGATIVE PLAYS
ERRORS

Name Total
Jai FieldDragons 17
Zac LomaxDragons 13 ********
Mahe FonuaMagpies 12
Honeti TuhaSea Eagles 11
Jarome LuaiPanthers 10

ouryears

Bench
Did Addo Carr run around Nightingale and make him look silly on the weekend?

Frank, Zac Lomax has 2nd highest error rate in ISP.
See below.

It may also double under the pressure in first grade.

Give me nighty till he sees out this year in style.

NEGATIVE PLAYS
ERRORS

Name Total
Jai FieldDragons 17
Zac LomaxDragons 13 ********
Mahe FonuaMagpies 12
Honeti TuhaSea Eagles 11
Jarome LuaiPanthers 10

Crush

Coach
Rufus does love a stat too @ouryears.
Don't worry, he will have a stat to counter your stat about Lomax. It may be a stat on his sheer size. Funny though, from what I have seen of Lomax, and its limited I admit, he didn't look very fast at all. I saw him in open space get run down very quickly where most of the quick centre/wingers would have been shut the gate.
Disappointing. But hey speed isn't everything, just look at the amazing career Nighty has had!

Frank Facer

First Grade
Don't worry, he will have a stat to counter your stat about Lomax. It may be a stat on his sheer size. Funny though, from what I have seen of Lomax, and its limited I admit, he didn't look very fast at all. I saw him in open space get run down very quickly where most of the quick centre/wingers would have been shut the gate.
Disappointing. But hey speed isn't everything, just look at the amazing career Nighty has had!
I recall someone on this site saying during preseason, that Lomax was one of our fastest player over 40m at training.

John moz

Juniors
It was not only storms game he has done it all this and last season .Watch the next few games he will still keep coming in off his wing.

Strange thing is, from the highlights I’ve watched, his running style reminds me a lot of Nightingale, that low to the ground gangly gait.