What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Rumours Thread

Reddragon

Bench
Brisbane Broncos 'a poor environment'—like them or not, that's the first time I've ever heard that.
Maybe Bennett staying on too long, ok, but a bad environment?
Maybe the problem is just Bird.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I hear Saints are sounding out Paul Vaughn's mate Shannon Boyd at the Raiders to replace Leeson if he signs for Knights. Wow that would be a pretty good pick up. If that comes off it would not surprise me with the way our Millward is going in that dept. ANd people were worried when Mullholland left the club.
From the props who are available, Boyd is one of the better ones. His best days are probably ahead of him too. Coming to us would probably enhance his rep chances too. He would also be a better chance of winning a comp playing for us than Canberra, Gold Coast or Newcastle. Canberra are our feeder club too.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Saints have a good record with Raiders Props especially with Weyman and now Vaughn.

If they get Boyd and all players in the Dragons team that people are saying will make Origin make it, then next season Saints can potentially have the NSW Origin pack if Boyd has a bumper year.

Frank Facer

First Grade
I read Boyd was asking 600k. It’s funny that every day you hear the same old shit, every team is chasing every player.
Millward has done great in recruitment for us. So hopefully he can land a decent prop
I read that the Gold Coast have offered Boyd 700K a year.

Someone, I think it was Objective View said that he heard that Ah Mau has signed with Newy for 1.9 mil over 3 years, that equates to 633.33K a year.

Last edited:

Brutalitops

Juniors
Brisbane Broncos 'a poor environment'—like them or not, that's the first time I've ever heard that.
Maybe Bennett staying on too long, ok, but a bad environment?
Maybe the problem is just Bird.
More to do with the fact he's gaining weight from the $20 per day of McDonalds allowance TPA. Needs to get away from that

nrlnrl

First Grade
More to do with the fact he's gaining weight from the $20 per day of McDonalds allowance TPA. Needs to get away from that

If it was a choice between the 2, my decision is easy. Even though he's about 3 years older, I'd take Martin Taupau every day of the week before Shannon Boyd. With the interchange likely to be 6 from 2019, the bigger players in the NRL like Boyd will be less effective & a burden to a roster. He is far too inconsistent.

Frank Facer

First Grade
If it was a choice between the 2, my decision is easy. Even though he's about 3 years older, I'd take Martin Taupau every day of the week before Shannon Boyd. With the interchange likely to be 6 from 2019, the bigger players in the NRL like Boyd will be less effective & a burden to a roster. He is far too inconsistent.
Yeah, I would take Taupau over Boyd too. Taupau isn't officially off contract until the end of 2020 though, but that hasn't stopped rumours of him heading to Easts as early as this season.

John moz

Juniors
Dragons have offered there last offer 3 years to Ah Mau but wouldn't be close to what Newcastle price.Lets say now we lose him and last year thompson and packer we would have to have a B plan i would go with boyd.

Brutalitops

Juniors
I don't want to get into a bidding war with a club with crazy amounts of money to blow and put ourselves in trouble later. Glad we have set a final offer.

If LAM goes to Newcastle, would they go cold on Tim Glasby? Personally I'd go after Tapau or Boyd

Frank Facer

First Grade
I don't want to get into a bidding war with a club with crazy amounts of money to blow and put ourselves in trouble later. Glad we have set a final offer.

If LAM goes to Newcastle, would they go cold on Tim Glasby? Personally I'd go after Tapau or Boyd
I agree with you. We would have to be paying Boyd or Taupau at least 600K a year to get them.

Frank Facer

First Grade
There are rumours that the interchange will be reduced to 6 very shortly. I was always on the cards. First reduce it from 10 to 8 and then reduce it to 6.

If/when this does happen, props are going are probably going to get lighter. Big props won't be able to play long minutes. This could be a concern for someone such as Boyd, who doesn't play big minutes. Someone such as Pangai would probably become even more valuable as I think he can play big minutes. Sam Burgess's value could increase.

I do remember back in the early 80's (I think it was 82) when they had the players weight and height on the back of the footy cards. The heaviest player in the comp was Don McKinnon. I am pretty sure he weighed 112 kgs. I think Pat Jarvis who was an origin prop and a great player weighed about 96kgs. I think Craig Young was around 102kgs. In the 80's clubs could only make 4 replacements and once a player was replaced they could not come back on the field. Reducing the interchange to 6 will change the game. Smaller players will benefit. We may see more running from dummy half. A player such as Dufty could become very dangerous from dummy half late in the game.