What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cobra Kai

axl rose

Bench
Was ready to hate it, being an 80s kid and all the nostalgia over the original 2 (yes I know there was a third and then one with a girl). Surprisingly enjoyable so far.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I've watched the whole of season 1.

Really enjoyed it and highly recommend it.

Totally looking forward to season 2.

What the plot lacks with its 80's styled cheese, and what some terrible acting just lacks, is more than salvaged by some of the funniest writing in Hollywood. Johnny Lawrence's character is just given gold jokes after gold jokes. The show is hilarious as the endless dead pan comedy jokes just reel off from his character. The jokes get funnier and more often by about mid season and they continue to hold their peak.

Johnny is the character that the writers are having the most fun with. His version of what happened with Daniel Larusso taking in the Karate Kid 1 film was the best tribute to the original films yet. Although Danny's massage gag (anyone who has seen the original film will sense when this is going to happen) was a fairly good tribute.

Put simply, this show is an adult brilliant social satire of today's world and of the 1980's, and a tribute (to the Karate Kid and the 1980's) comedy show disguised as a drama like the original films were that is made for a younger audience. For the drama elements, it is weak, it is predictable and it is cheese. For the comedy and tribute elements, this is like watching Ballers or Silicon Valley. It is that good.

The writers are the guys who wrote the Harold and Kumar films, and they have done a magnificent job with Johnny's character.

For me, Johnny is the star of the show. Barney from How I met your Mother got his tv show :)

Last edited:

LESStar58

Referee
Watched the first 2 free episodes and am happy to get a YT red account to see the rest.

It's really, really good thus far.

LESStar58

Referee
I've been binge watching this all day. I am hooked!

Funny, well written, plenty of nostalgia and sprinkled with liberal amounts of 80s cheese.

The social commentary is brilliant

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I've been binge watching this all day. I am hooked!

Funny, well written, plenty of nostalgia and sprinkled with liberal amounts of 80s cheese.

The social commentary is brilliant

It really is, right. I love the nostalgia and tributes but not a fan of the cheese but how many times has Johnny had you in hysterics laughing? He is the social commentary satire vehicle that just keeps giving and giving.

I swear a group of adults 30 to 55 could sit and watch this show with a group of teenagers - it'd be as if they're watching two different shows. One a weak cheesey drama - and one a brilliant comedy that even pokes fun at itself without reservation. And yet in some ways - being cheesey is the ultimate tribute to the 80's and the original Karate Kid films.

Some of the gags are subtle - some are just are right in your face. But the laughs keep getting delivered.

Anyone who liked Ari Gold or the Kevin Dillon characters in Entourage, (or even Barney in How I Met Your Mother) - watch this show and get far more of the character you watch and enjoy the show for. The character where the writers were given far more comedic freedom.

And binge watching it is definitely the best way. 10 episodes under 24 mins each is not enough. I want more! Once I found episodes 3 to 10 - that was me.

This show or more accurately the Johnny Lawrence character is easily good and side splittingly funny enough to find its way into pop culture.

Last edited:

beave

Coach
Watched the first 2 eps, absolutley enjoyed it. KK was my childhood so it brings back some great memories, thus far they’ve been very respectful to the heritage of the first 2 movies.

Now I gotta sign up for the 30 day free trial of YT Red to watch the rest of it....

azzah72

Bench
The best part about the show was the humour, I haven't burst out laughing more in a show for a while.

The 80's vs. now social commentary was brilliant and at times hysterical.

I also like how they made both characters and their history grey with the one particular ep where they came to that realisation was great.

LESStar58

Referee
The best part about the show was the humour, I haven't burst out laughing more in a show for a while.

The 80's vs. now social commentary was brilliant and at times hysterical.

I also like how they made both characters and their history grey with the one particular ep where they came to that realisation was great.

Couldn't agree more

ANTiLAG

First Grade
For anyone thinking about watching it - do it. Set aside a time to binge watch it.

It, especially Johnny Lawrence's character, just keeps getting funnier and funnier with each passing episode.

Smack

Coach
Watched the first season, nostalgia baby. It was OK, I think a bit too teeny.

How hot is the 22 year old (his daughter)

It made me go from sympathetic to hating one character, very enjoyable.

nöyd

Staff member
Absolutely dripping with cheese, and it was even greater for it.

Daniel manipulating things so that Johnny's rent doubled was a cool touch, and it made him a possibly bigger douche than Johnny had ever been to him.

Johnny is easily the best character, and I especially love the little teases here and there that he is on this path to redemption, only for him to suffer some setback, guzzle some Coors Banquet and return to not giving any f**ks lol

Zabka is a funny guy too, loved his blink-and-you'll-miss-it part in Hot Tub Time Machine, complete with a dodgy 80's moustache.

axl rose

Bench

Well, what have we here, I got myself a bunch of flinchers! Bunch of pussies with their peanut butter allergies these days.

When Johnny is giving his 'version' of events back in 83 though I lost it. Johnny is comedy gold.

Last edited: