What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Movies Have You Seen III

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I thought the first one was a bit ordinary. It had good parts but the characters kept making the most stupid fcking choices ever. I get that’s a horror thing but this went well beyond belief.

The second one however I thought was much better. Having different story lines going made it more entertaining as opposed to just being in the house.

Haven’t watched The Election one yet, will get to it though.

The election is probably not as good as the second, so don't get your hopes up too much. Although it is very clever when they explore the tourist purge industry and use a South African example iirc. There is some clever analysis of stereotypes, or using known stereotypes to display some sociological realities through fiction. Just like Planet of the Apes does.

For me, I expected nothing out of the Purge films, and yet got given so much just due to their development on the premise, that I was not engaged with the characters choices in particular moments, but the sociology of it all, and then in the 2nd and 3rd - the politics reallyh comes to the fore, which the prequel is likely to unashamdely focus on.

There's such a cult following developing for these purge films that the writers know that they have stumbled onto something, a bit like Planet of the Apes, but they don't quite know where to go with it with the particular characters they make, like Planet of the Apes (either franchise).

For the record, I thought the second Planet of the Apes movie of the recent reboot was excellent and exceeded my expectations, but the third left me wanting so much more.

The sociology and politics of these premises is the hook for me, not some character's journey through the film.

Perhaps that's where we differ, and I found these premises far more original than the Shape of Water that merely turned Free Willy into a romance story, and Avatar which just juxtaposed the clever Dances with Wolves premise into Dances with Smurfs.

Last edited:

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Visitor Q - a charming little Japanese movie thats got it all.

Incest, bullying, drug use, violence, lactation, murder, necrophilia, urination and more.

If you're looking for car chases and gun fights, this movie is not for you.

12/10 for originality.

Generalzod

Immortal
The other day I watched Cool Hand Luke what can you say about this film, Truly a classic and it never gets old, Paul Newman performance as this anti hero who went against the establishment, When I was a teenager in the 80's saw it for the first time I fell in love with this film.

Last edited:
The Mummy

0/5 : BOOOOOOO!!!

Got a pirate copy in Bali and seriously, I want my 10,000 rp back.

I couldn’t work out what is worse.

Watching Tom Cruise running, jumping, swimming all the time like the merkin is constantly in his own cinematic triathlons.

“Oooh, geeze, I just love watching Tom Cruise running all the time. Doesn’t he have great form!”

Or

Listening to that chuntsock Rusty Crowe talking like he’s reading from the Book of Feuds all the time. :thumbsdown:

And the ending was just weak as f**ken piss.

Shit movie. Zero spuds!

Generalzod

Immortal
The Mummy

0/5 : BOOOOOOO!!!

Got a pirate copy in Bali and seriously, I want my 10,000 rp back.

I couldn’t work out what is worse.

Watching Tom Cruise running, jumping, swimming all the time like the merkin is constantly in his own cinematic triathlons.

“Oooh, geeze, I just love watching Tom Cruise running all the time. Doesn’t he have great form!”

Or

Listening to that chuntsock Rusty Crowe talking like he’s reading from the Book of Feuds all the time. :thumbsdown:

And the ending was just weak as f**ken piss.

Shit movie. Zero spuds!

LOL!!

So it wasn’t just me and my anti-Cruise bias.

That review was spot on.

I also was unaware of the “Dark Universe” shit. What a steaming pile of shit.

And agree, the way they left open for a possible sequel wasn’t even worth mentioning because I thought it was so hopelessly terrible that it would never be considered.

Cover it in mercury already. What a heap of shit.

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
How were these? I love my old movies.
The Day The Earth Stood Still - a good movie showing the bad trait of mankind has of fearing anything unknown and reacting immediately with violence and potentially disastrous repercussions.

Forbidden Planet - what a solitary man can do to have an advanced civilisation's technology all to himself that comes to bite him on the arse. Add some undertones of too much reliance on technology and automation which is ultimately self destructive.

The Day The Earth Caught Fire - multiple nuclear bomb tests sends the earth out of orbit and tilts the axis resulting in extreme weather events worldwide. The ending to this movie is open ended as to whether the human race survives. Way ahead of its time when compared to Al Gore's "An Inconvenient Truth".

The first movie is set in Washington DC, the second on a fictional planet called Altair (sp ?) and the third in London.

These movies are refreshing (even though they are about 60 years old) as they didn't rely on 50 megatons of CGI to dilute the mystery and tension with inane graphics.

Apparently there is a remake of The Day The Earth Stood Still starring Keanu Reeves and it bombed.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
Visitor Q - a charming little Japanese movie thats got it all.

Incest, bullying, drug use, violence, lactation, murder, necrophilia, urination and more.

If you're looking for car chases and gun fights, this movie is not for you.

12/10 for originality.
Saw this on world movies a while ago. Was some serious drug intake to put that story together

veggiepatch1959

First Grade
Wasteland (2012 aka The Rise) - a British film about a bunch of young blokes who plan a robbery of a club owned by a crim who previously set up one of them for a stint in jail. Not a bad movie with a bit of a revenge theme running through it and not a car chase or gun fight to be seen.

7/10