What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Woods

Belta

Juniors
Regardless of any other comments about Woods, one thing is for sure, Woods (due to his state and national achievements) won't come cheap. If money is the reason we lost Ah Mau and before him Packer (even Thompson) than we won't match the offers that Woods will attract, IMO.

Regardless of any other comments about Woods, one thing is for sure, Woods (due to his state and national achievements) won't come cheap. If money is the reason we lost Ah Mau and before him Packer (even Thompson) than we won't match the offers that Woods will attract, IMO.

But we’d only pay 40%.
Would you rather go to the Wobegongs and do Gallens, Lewis’s and Graham’s work load for them, or the Dragons and play with a SOO and International pack.
I know which team would make my stalled career look better.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Actually I take this back. If we had Woods and Vaughan in the rotation, then Lawrie with another year under his belt may be in a position to take up a 4th spot in the prop rotation. In which case, we are in need of depth at prop. Some solid youngsters from other clubs. I’m not convinced Kerr will ever be an option, Sele and Host should be rotation options for lock and second row respectively (and exclusively) and with Graham continuing to get on, we need some back up.

Hell, we need that regardless of who fills the vacancy in our prop rotation.

Agree.
I'm also not adverse to signing Woods as long as the Dogs are, as you say, picking up a good majority of his freight.
I'm sure also, that Graham will quickly get in his lazy face. Just on Graham i agree next year starting from the bench.
Young Lawrie is looking better each game in ISP and with another year he will be ok imo.
Sele looks the odd one out tbh. Not yet signed past this year and is not really a prop, but is a lot better than most people believe.

Bench
Woods was a powder puff at the tigers and now at the doggies. Two coaches have failed to change his play. McIdiot is no chance in making him as good as Vaughan or LAM.
It’s a big no for me. Let me repeat that. NO

Frank Facer

First Grade
So, back to the original topic.

If we do pick up Woods, it wouldn't be all doom and gloom. I mean sure.. He's a bit of a marshmallow. But if the Dogs are paying half his wage, it's a pretty solid pick-up for a former Australian rep.

He's a hell of a lot better than Latimore too.

8. Vaughan
9. McInnes
10. Vaughan
11. Frizell
12. Sims
13. De Belin

14. Ah Mau
15. Woods
16. Sele/Host/Leilua
17. Mann

I'd take that.
The mail is that it is a done deal, that Woods is going to Cronulla

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Hey 2010, You know that prior to Vaughn coming to Saints he was in reserves for Canberra? Graham was also not playing that well same with Sims and McInnes. They seem to be playing a hell of a lot better now under Mary though or is it just coincidence? Can't see why Woods cannot get back to his best although I would not take that chance. Woods at his best was not that good anyway.

Frank Facer

First Grade
With Holmes off to NQ to free the cap space?
The talk on Cronulla's forum is that Woods will be signing with them this week, regardless of if Holmes signs with Nth Qld. They are saying that Holmes to Nth Qld if they can snare Barba this year. I won't be at all surprised if it eventuates.

possm

Coach
But they are not registering a contract for a year, they are registering a three year contract.
If you pay 10 players 200 grand the first year, but 800 grand the second, your over the cap for the second, but have an unfair advantage in the first cause you’ve registered players at way under fair market value.
Technically under your cap you could sign the entire Australian team for a $1 in the first year and a million the next, you not going to pay the million next year, but only half cause you’ve moved players on, but you won the title.
That’s an extreme example, but’s ts what we are talking about.
You'd be surprised to know what an xl spreadsheet can do. Small business often do their 5 year business plan on it. I'm sure the NRL could do a 5 year contract plan on it as well. In your example, when entering the salaries for year two, the alarm bells would ring very loud and contracts would not be registered. And even if you did not use such an extreme example, any contract that makes the alarm ring in year two, three or four will not be registered.

possm

Coach
But but but ……. Millward is the super recruiter and is doing an excellent job with our squad. We have a heap of juniors with speed who are not ready for first grade and yes, we have a heap of props who are also not ready or past being able to play first grade. And yes there's more, we are looking after Nightingale who is not up to first grade form and Aitken who is still running in and coming away empty handed. Bring on Bennett asap!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Worst signing ever!

C'mon Cronulla... you know you want him. See it as a victory over St George.

Drag Queen

Bench
Woods was a powder puff at the tigers and now at the doggies. Two coaches have failed to change his play. McIdiot is no chance in making him as good as Vaughan or LAM.
It’s a big no for me. Let me repeat that. NO
I have never understood the hype around this bloke. He looks lazy and a plodder. Have I missed something here?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
When he's on, he is on. When he's off, he's really off.
Unfortunately his off/on button sits at about 70/30 or even 80/20.

Belta

Juniors
Best Golden Boots;

“But we’d only pay 40%.
Would you rather go to the Wobegongs and do Gallens, Lewis’s and Graham’s work loadfor them, or the Dragons and play with a SOO and International pack.
I know which team would make my stalled career look better.”

—————————————————

He may end up with them by sounds of it.

Let’s hope there is a plan to counter the Ah May loss. tbh I’m not hopeful. It all seems very quite, recruitment wise

Drag Queen

Bench
When he's on, he is on. When he's off, he's really off.
Unfortunately his off/on button sits at about 70/30 or even 80/20.
Must have missed the real occasions he was 'on' then. Either way it's a no from me. If the money bandied around his worth is credible, I feel a bit nauseous tbh.

Johnny King

Juniors
Could never understand how he was always picked in the NSW and Australian teams. The selectors must have seen something in him that is lost on most fans. I reckon I saw him play one decent game in the past few years. Wouldn't want him at the Dragons, especially as we now have a pack with some toughness and mongrel. Obviously Ah Mau needs to be replaced but for me, Woods wouldn't be the right answer. I wonder what happened to the hype around us looking at Alex Walmsely? Just media talk perhaps?

Drag Queen

Bench
No you are spot on DQ.
He is not worth one cent.

Zero, zilch, nothing.
Well surely we can get a better prop than this for far less $$$. Samy is there anyone is ISP you would promote at this given time? P.s ouryears Foxsports rates Woods at the 4th best prop in the game??

Well surely we can get a better prop than this for far less $$$. Samy is there anyone is ISP you would promote at this given time? P.s ouryears Foxsports rates Woods at the 4th best prop in the game??

Yep agree. Suggest we start looking under our nose.

Would prefer we give Lawrie substantial minutes for the rest of the season to give him the chance to stake his claim for a place in the 17.

The kid plays with determination, is running hard and marking strong metres in ISP. If he gets half a season of meaningful game time, he may prove to the coaching staff that he has the goods.

Lawrie will add more muscle weight over the off season. Once he bulks up a bit more he won't be dominated by any opposition forward pack.

Where necessary, our props could be:

Vaughan
Frizell
Lawrie
Graham or Latimore

This would create a back row vacancy which could be filled by Host/Leilua or Sele.

Latest posts