What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL will not force clubs to release players for Denver Test

franklin2323

Immortal
Do they? Funny I’m a football fan and I have missed anything on the scale of this farce in the last 15 years.
Probably because FIFA runs the game not national governing bodies as is the case in rugby league. Trying to say this is what happens in any sport with an international presence is a joke.

Tim Cahill, Harry Kewell back when Australia had guys in top leagues would always have to make club v country decisions.

Besides being corrupt FIFA actually have a strong International body. Like with India in cricket. Australia has all the power in RL

franklin2323

Immortal
There's one enormous difference between FIFA and the RLIF- FIFA can afford to run soccer (or in other words it's more beneficial for the majority of the national federations to be aligned with them then with any individual federation for their survival) and cause of that have the power and leverage to overrule any individual groups in the sport trying to take control away from them, the RLIF on the other hand couldn't afford the running costs of nations like France, PNG, or NZ, let alone either the NRL or RFL, so realistically even if they do threaten to take the sort of action necessary to wrestle control away from the NRL (or RFL as the case may be) they don't have the power and/or resources to back it up.

Until a point where RL as a sport becomes big enough worldwide so that the RLIF can muster enough power to pull the federations into line it will always effectively be dictated to by one of the federations acting as a hegemonic power, at the moment that hegemonic power happens to be the NRL and from that position as hedegmon they've basically pulled all of the pacific under their sphere of influence.

Once you realise that and look at the problem that way it becomes much easier to solve, namely the only way that you are going to get more support for internationals would be to convince the global hegemon that it's A. in their interest and B. hopefully is financially beneficial for them as well.
Unfortunately with the way that the Denver test has been handled from the start it's done the exact opposite necessary to get what it wants, it's displayed that it's not in the NRLs' interest and as the NRL clubs see it it's directly attacked their bottom line, and those two mistakes will make the NRL worry more about future endeavours similar to this which will mean that in the future they'll be even more likely to meddle in the organisation of such events, which is a very, very bad thing if you want more focus on international RL.

Frankly as I've been saying for quite a while now the whole way that the Denver test has been handled from the start has been a farce and has done more to harm international growth then to support it, and it was all completely avoidable with a couple of minor changes, but I can't be bothered going into that.

Nations like France and Ireland should be pushing to play tests v Canada and USA make it a triple header. The fact they are silent when could be pushing with NZRL for this to happen. Probably says alot for International footy.

How could I forget Basketball starting qualification for a major tournament with no NBA players.

Imagine the outrage on here if the likes of Tonga had to start WC qualification without NRL players.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The reason the Pacific tests are played here is because the interest is greater here and they have been successful not because of travel times or altitude.

NRL are just showing the same level of small mindedness it always has.

It's because it's cheaper for Fox and the league makes more profit....all about cash that's it.
Well no, it wouldn't. PNG's stadium only fits 15,000 and Campbelltown was packed last year. If PNG v Fiji was in PNG and Samoa v Tonga was in Auckland then yes, then it would draw more than a Campbelltown DH.

And the issue is both. A governing body putting self interest over the game is an issue anywhere.

That's not the point, it's about spreading the goodwill of the game.....what "international" sport plays all their games in the west of Sydney...it makes a mockery of the word international.

Springs09

Juniors
That's not the point, it's about spreading the goodwill of the game.....what "international" sport plays all their games in the west of Sydney...it makes a mockery of the word international.

Yeah I know that's not the point because that's not my point. Franklin was saying that PNG would draw more than Campbelltown, I was simply replying that it wouldn't because their stadium doesn't have the capacity to.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Young Panthers Origin stars need to learn to back up, starting Friday
Send via Email

Penrith coach Anthony Griffin believes his young State of Origin stars need to learn how to back up for their club side after an Origin match.

Griffin is confident Blues debutants Nathan Cleary, Reagan Campbell-Gillard and Tyrone Peachey, as well as veteran James Maloney, will all play against Canberra on Friday night.

"We rested him for two [games], but the younger guys backed up," Griffin said.

"I know with my experience with the guys in Brisbane - we used to play a lot of Friday nights - they found it a lot easier to play Friday night than if we had a Sunday game."

Griffin was also full of praise for halves Maloney and Cleary, who have played just five games together for the Panthers this year due to a knee injury to the No.7, against the Maroons.

He said Maloney was key to the Blues' win.

"Nathan's defence was a real highlight for me. I thought he exceeded all expectations the way he handled that last night. He ran the ball when he needed to," he said.

"His kicking game was good, he was error free. You couldn't have hoped for a better debut.

"And Jimmy, I thought just controlled that game beautifully. The longer it went, the more impact he had on it. To have that experienced head there, it was a major factor in NSW's victory."

Yep, the NRL is all about player wellfare and thats the only reason they want to stop the Denver Test.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Nations like France and Ireland should be pushing to play tests v Canada and USA make it a triple header. The fact they are silent when could be pushing with NZRL for this to happen. Probably says alot for International footy.

Probably got more to do with money than them not pushing for it, if Moore (or the RFL or NRL for that matter) isn't willing to fund it then it probably isn't feasible.

It's sad but it is what it is.

How could I forget Basketball starting qualification for a major tournament with no NBA players.

Imagine the outrage on here if the likes of Tonga had to start WC qualification without NRL players.

Very true.

When are people going to learn that a State of Origin game is nothing compared to a 16-hour flight?

When are people like you going to give up on the red herrings that NRL clubs and RLPA throw out and tackle the actual issues at the core of this problem- money.

Their objections to international football and the like has nothing to do with altitude and player welfare, not really anyway, it's all about their bottom line...

SOO is good for their bottom line so they support it no matter the costs, internationals aren't necessarily good for their bottom line so they don't necessarily support them. It really is that simple.

Springs09

Juniors
When are people like you going to give up on the red herrings that NRL clubs and RLPA throw out and tackle the actual issues at the core of this problem- money.

Their objections to international football and the like has nothing to do with altitude and player welfare, not really anyway, it's all about their bottom line...

SOO is good for their bottom line so they support it no matter the costs, internationals aren't necessarily good for their bottom line so they don't necessarily support them. It really is that simple.

If you pay attention at all you'd notice we are making fun of the ridiculous excuses the clubs blurt out with. Everyone knows it's because of self-interested garbage. We are ridiculing the fact that the NRL & clubs criticise this test because of 'player welfare' over an international flight and mythical altitude sickness yet expect their players to back up after what's billed as the toughest game on the planet.

I mean it's not even really veiled, it's quite obvious sarcasm.

franklin2323

Immortal
Probably got more to do with money than them not pushing for it, if Moore (or the RFL or NRL for that matter) isn't willing to fund it then it probably isn't feasible.

It's sad but it is what it is.

Very true.

Whatever the reason this is why we are where we are. It is like a circle between WC's there is very limited test footy so no money comes in. Which keeps the NRL with all the power and it shouldn't be this way. What are the Northern Hemisphere teams doing in the rep week?

adamkungl

Immortal
Whatever the reason this is why we are where we are. It is like a circle between WC's there is very limited test footy so no money comes in. Which keeps the NRL with all the power and it shouldn't be this way. What are the Northern Hemisphere teams doing in the rep week?

Nothing. They waited for the RLIF to organise them something, the RLIF said it's individual nations' responsibility to organise stand-alones, and the nations didn't bother because they figured they wouldn't get their top players released.

The Great Dane

First Grade
If you pay attention at all you'd notice we are making fun of the ridiculous excuses the clubs blurt out with. Everyone knows it's because of self-interested garbage. We are ridiculing the fact that the NRL & clubs criticise this test because of 'player welfare' over an international flight and mythical altitude sickness yet expect their players to back up after what's billed as the toughest game on the planet.

I mean it's not even really veiled, it's quite obvious sarcasm.

I'm not stupid, I understand that it's sarcasm, but how is constantly latching onto the red herring with sarcastic attacks actually do anything to progress your point of view!?

Realistically all it does is exactly what they want you to do- focus on the red herring instead of the real issues at hand...

And frankly money isn't just "self-interested garbage" it's a 100% necessary resource to the sport and any competitions, federations, or whatever organisations within the sports success, and ignoring the NRL and the clubs' concerns about the affect on their businesses doesn't help or change anything it just reinforces the problems and justifies their position that international football isn't worth it cause it hurts their bottom line...

Bullshit at TGD's last post and most of the others.

I'm not even sure what that means frankly.

Are you saying that my post is BS, are you saying you wish it was BS, are you saying that you want to throw BS at it... It's not clear at all what BS at means...

Springs09

Juniors
I'm not stupid, I understand that it's sarcasm, but how is constantly latching onto the red herring with sarcastic attacks actually do anything to progress your point of view!?

Realistically all it does is exactly what they want you to do- focus on the red herring instead of the real issues at hand...

And frankly money isn't just "self-interested garbage" it's a 100% necessary resource to the sport and any competitions, federations, or whatever organisations within the sports success, and ignoring the NRL and the clubs' concerns about the affect on their businesses doesn't help or change anything it just reinforces the problems and justifies their position that international football isn't worth it cause it hurts their bottom line...

I'm not even sure what that means frankly.

Are you saying that my post is BS, are you saying you wish it was BS, are you saying that you want to throw BS at it... It's not clear at all what BS at means...

Uh Dane, nothing that's done while wasting time on an internet forum is going to do anything to progress anything. I'm not focusing on anything, I'm making fun of the NRL's narrow-mindedness.

And frankly, it is self-interested garbage that is the reason the NRL and clubs are against this, not just money.

Seriously, stop talking shit like you think you're above everyone cause you know 'the real reasons'. Nothing I say on an internet forum is going to help or change anything, neither is the shit you say. I actually do a lot more by running/coaching a club and running a competition as well as refereeing juniors in another competition. Hopefully you do similar otherwise all this shit you talk about 'what you're doing is going to help or change anything, you have to think like I do' just reeks of arrogance.

franklin2323

Immortal
Nothing. They waited for the RLIF to organise them something, the RLIF said it's individual nations' responsibility to organise stand-alones, and the nations didn't bother because they figured they wouldn't get their top players released.

Not many French or Irish playing in the NRL.. So it is more than simply blaming the NRL

Sure they don't help but not their responsibility comes back to a weak International board

adamkungl

Immortal
Not many French or Irish playing in the NRL.. So it is more than simply blaming the NRL

Sure they don't help but not their responsibility comes back to a weak International board

No, this one is blaming SL clubs. They're just as bad as the NRL when it comes to supporting non-England teams, if not worse.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Uh Dane, nothing that's done while wasting time on an internet forum is going to do anything to progress anything. I'm not focusing on anything, I'm making fun of the NRL's narrow-mindedness.

BS!

Ideas have to start somewhere, an internet forum is as good a place as any for them to start.

We live in a world where the current American President got to where he is in no small part because of his engagement with people on the internet and using twitter to talk to them directly!
There's no reason why a good idea that is thought up here can't filter up to people in power give time if it's truly a good idea and it is shared as such.

And yes you are focusing on the red herring cause all you (and others like you) do is make fun of said red herring.

And frankly, it is self-interested garbage that is the reason the NRL and clubs are against this, not just money.

Ok then what self interest?

Seriously, stop talking shit like you think you're above everyone cause you know 'the real reasons'.

I don't think I'm 'above' anybody, I do however think that it's a massive waste of time to talk about an issue if you refuse to address what the core of the actual issue is to instead "make fun of the NRL's narrow-mindedness".

And frankly for such a narrow minded organisation when it comes to internationals and international growth they seem to be absolutely fine with basically funding the existence of the sport in the pacific, host and funding games between the pacific nations, and topping up the Kiwis salaries when they play the Roos. So maybe it's not "narrow-mindedness" that is the problem but the effects that this particular event and events similar to it are having on them!

Nothing I say on an internet forum is going to help or change anything, neither is the shit you say.

Again that's not necessarily true, but you just might be to 'narrow-minded' to realise that...

And whoever said anything about changing anything, all I said was you (and others like you) were failing to progress your point of view cause you were failing to tackle the actual issues at hand to instead be sucked in by a red-herring...

I actually do a lot more by running/coaching a club and running a competition as well as refereeing juniors in another competition. Hopefully you do similar otherwise all this shit you talk about 'what you're doing is going to help or change anything, you have to think like I do' just reeks of arrogance.

Now who is acting superior...

In the past I was very involved with local RL for quite sometime (and RU and to a lesser extent soccer as well), but broadly speaking I've stepped down from helping out, I'm old now and not as useful as I once was, and younger people were in a better position to do my roles than I was, however I am only a phone call away, and I do still get that phone call from time to time.

BTW, nice attempt at a straw man, but I don't remember saying that I was helping or changing anything...