What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mid year review

Tiger05

First Grade
I’ve been contemplating putting a cheeky $100 @ $17 on Brooks to win Dally M

It’s a real possibility. He’s not playing origin and his main rivals atm (Maloney, Cook) will be in and out of origin, and Ponga is playing in a shitty Knights team.

I can't overstate how good he has been. He is going great and he is a real possibility to do well in the Dally M's this year.

Tigerm

First Grade
We are where we (nearly) all, expected to be. I think Reynolds will start to show us why he was worth the money and hopefully take Brooks to another level. Not forgetting yesterday, we missed a few goal attempts, this suggests to me that Tui is not certain to be a staple in the team.

With the roster we have I'll give them an A. They've exceeded all expectations I had. Especially the start to the year. A few wins in the next few weeks will see us sitting pretty for the 8 I reckon

Who would have thought that at this stage of the season one Luke Brooks is running 2nd on the Dally M awards table?

I'd give him an A++

As an aside, Benji got 2 points yesterday, his defence was good but gee, I hope he wasn't given the points for 'that pass' alone.

I would have given him the points for not getting over involved. I thought he played his role perfectly yesterday. He let Brooks drive the team and played like a proper five eighth, instead of overplaying his hand and stinking everything up. If he continues to play like this I think our attack will benefit from it. Brooks running game is getting better every game and he's starting to look very dangerous at times now.

Fordy20

Juniors
I feel like we are returning to our traditional place in the comp, a team floating around the top of the bottom 8, which is a vast improvement on where we've been in recent years.

Tiger05

First Grade
I feel like we are returning to our traditional place in the comp, a team floating around the top of the bottom 8, which is a vast improvement on where we've been in recent years.

This is where we are at now. We need to improve our roster and get rid of under-performing overpaid players. At the moment we have Reynolds, Packer. McQueen and possible Matulino on that list. Hopefully some players move on or improve their form.

Shredder

Juniors
Anyone who genuinely thinks that Packer and Matulino are NOT an upgrade on what we have had in the past are delusional. And from memory, I think Reynolds has played one full game in his preferred position.

Our forwards play like NRL forwards for a change. Not always great but they do their jobs. They have held their own against some of the best packs in the league.

Yeah we have issues and I think the biggest two are fullback and hooker. Additionally with a whole new team it will take time to gel. 14 rounds in and a different team every week.

Ivan got one wrong. And who would have expected him to put on 12kgs in the off season?

We are moving in the right direction.

Front-Rower

First Grade
Anyone who genuinely thinks that Packer and Matulino are NOT an upgrade on what we have had in the past are delusional. And from memory, I think Reynolds has played one full game in his preferred position.

I fully agree. I shake my head at some of the comments that get thrown around here at times. I suppose that's what happens though when as the Wests Tigers we have one premiership, and two other finals appearances in 19 seasons...fans want positive results.

super_coach

First Grade
With the roster we have 2018 has been a great year. Okay we have lost a few close games that we should have won, but we also won a few close games that could have gone the other way. Basically we do not have the speed power or class to put teams away.

Things will change over the next 12 months, MM from dogs will add plenty of speed, Kelly from Manly if we snare him will be a very classy centre in a year or so and there will be others. Cleary has set a great foundation this year, but next year we should start reaping some rewards

magpie_man

Juniors
Yep. Cleary has delivered what we were all begging for at the close of last season: a team that defends well and competes for 80 mins.
At the start of the season I said we have the worst roster in the NRL, and I stand by that, but here we are at the mid-point sniffing around the top 8. Amazing achievement.
I got lulled into believing our hype after the Manly win but I'm of the opinion now that we managed to ambush a few of the more fancied teams at the start of season, before their attacks began to click, and, hence, overachieved. Now the dust is beginning to settle.
I don't think we'll make the top 8 this season unless we can solve our hooker headache sooner rather than later but I'm very happy with where we're at right now.
There has been a cultural rot at club that dates all the way back to the Sheens era (one could make the argument that it extends further back to the outset of the JV) and Cleary and the administration deserve a lot of credit for rolling up their sleves and scraping it out, which ultimately is going to puts us in a good position for prolonged future success.

super_coach

First Grade
It has to be also remembered, we lost possibly our two starting centres before the season started in Suli and Milne and we also had our no6 in rehab for nearly three months. So for a team thin on talent we have done way better than I expected. Iam not expecting a lot more wins in 2018, but they will have a dig and that’s all you can ask for.

They need to recruit three quality players next year to build on this years effort.

Das Hassler

Bench
Yes ....and for those who see nothing but doom and coaching / recruitment faiure in our current roster. ...Panthers imminent success off the backs of their stars now is based on a platform and culture set by Gould...I.C. snd Griffin before the arrival of Nathan...Maloney and the current tear it up forwards ....they knew where they were headed while some fans were anguishing ...same goes for the dragons. ...McGregor has worked towards a vision which NEEDED a Hunt and and a Graham to complete...some supporters just do not understand what a total club reset and a work in process really means ...necessitates and what the symptoms of the treatment will be.
One game ..or a string of games whether won of lost DOES NOT define the club now or where it's headed.....stop over reading every bump on the curve...you've got your face too close to the screen!

Latest posts