What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Diesel

Referee
I get the impression he’s backing the Pirates but wants to revert any potential bid as the Reds... or he’s just like the oldies that still talk about inches when they actually talking about the metric system

King hit

Coach
There is a very good article in Big League about Mark Geyers time in Perth and his thoughts about expanding there.

Diesel

Referee
Listening to the game on the radio tonight and have noticed in the lead up on tv and reading online news articles, I kept hearing how Perth needs a team and the push for expansion, but they’re all talking about the Reds, not the Pirates. Most are referring the expansion team or potential bid team as the Reds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We would all assemble at Tullamarine before an interstate game, a bunch of big blokes in uniform.
People would be looking at us, tilting their heads a bit, trying to figure out who we were.
Then you’d get the tug on the sleeve.
Excuse me, are you basketballers?’
‘No, sir. We’re the Melbourne Storm. We play rugby league.’
Those days – the 2003 and 2004 seasons in my case – are long gone now in Melbourne. Twenty years of on-field success and off-field educational and promotional work has turned once foreign territory into a new market for rugby league. That’s been massive for the code, broadcasters and junior development.
I see similar opportunities over here in Perth.

We’ve been staying in Scarborough for the last four days ahead of our season opener against the Bulldogs, part of a big double-header to open the NRL season at the new Perth Stadium.
The appetite for rugby league here is huge. People know who we are, what we’ve done and are asking us all the right questions like, ‘When’s Billy back?’ and ‘Can you guys go back-to-back?’ More than 40,000 tickets had been pre-sold as of Friday.
It’s a lot further advanced than those early seasons at the Storm. That stands to reason. An NRL franchise in Western Australia wouldn’t be starting from scratch. This is a city that was once home to the Western Reds in the old ARL competition. And, until a few months ago, it had the Western Force.
The withdrawal of the Force from Super Rugby makes the timing of these games particularly interesting. I’ve played about half a dozen games in Perth through the years, including a Test match against the Kiwis in 2016, but this is the first time we’ve done so with no Force.
It’s a great time to talk about setting up an NRL team over here.
Cameron Smith

Read more at https://www.playersvoice.com.au/cameron-smith-expansion-lessons-we-must-learn/#7yYCahpx3zuDqBKp.99

ReddFelon

Juniors
Listening to the game on the radio tonight and have noticed in the lead up on tv and reading online news articles, I kept hearing how Perth needs a team and the push for expansion, but they’re all talking about the Reds, not the Pirates. Most are referring the expansion team or potential bid team as the Reds.

Can't say I blame them, a lot of people in WA hate the Pirates name. It has nothing to do with WA, it's makes about as much sense as the Titans name.

Reactions: Vee

Perth Red

Post Whore
Can't say I blame them, a lot of people in WA hate the Pirates name. It has nothing to do with WA, it's makes about as much sense as the Titans name.

Been over this a dozen times! It does actually have some tenuous links as we had Australia’s only officially recognised Pirate! Not that it matters, since when has there been bears, tigers or panthers in sydney?

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/in-search-of-pirate-black-jack-ng-ya-324811

I haven’t heard many people say they hate the name, some prefer the old reds name.

jim_57

Staff member
Been over this a dozen times! It does actually have some tenuous links as we had Australia’s only officially recognised Pirate! Not that it matters, since when has there been bears, tigers or panthers in sydney?

I haven’t heard many people say they hate the name, some prefer the old reds name.

I quite liked the Reds name, represented by the Red Kangaroo. It's just a shame QLD Reds exist but it wouldn't be the only double up on team nicknames in Australia.

I'd be quite happy to see West Coast Pirates as well.

ReddFelon

Juniors

There's a few Bears that come out for Mardi Gras. I've found the divide comes from old vs young. Young fans are fine with the Pirates name, it's mostly older fans who remember the Reds that would like that exact team resurrected.

flippikat

Bench
Well done to WA snrs men on winning the state championship for the ninth year in a row.

Seriously, what more does WA need to do?

Great crowds at NRL games that are moved there? Check.
Best junior base outside of rugby league heartland? Check.
Great stadia (one for smaller games, one for huge events)? Check.
Distinctive brand & unique set of team colours? Check.
New timeslot potential for TV? Check.

C'mon NRL....

King hit

Coach

C'mon NRL....

Do TV stations want it is the question. The game dictates to tv scheduling and rights deals

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

C'mon NRL....

They will almost certainly be the next expansion team. The NRL claim that they have not been in a position to expand up until now as they have been trying to stablise the current clubs. They have now funded all existing clubs to the tune of $13m per season and established a fund that the clubs will contribute to for any club that falls on financial hardship - they have stated that they won't be bailing clubs out anymore so it looks like we are ready for expansion. Let's see what happens.

Perth Red

Post Whore
They will almost certainly be the next expansion team. The NRL claim that they have not been in a position to expand up until now as they have been trying to stablise the current clubs. They have now funded all existing clubs to the tune of $13m per season and established a fund that the clubs will contribute to for any club that falls on financial hardship - they have stated that they won't be bailing clubs out anymore so it looks like we are ready for expansion. Let's see what happens.

Only problem is there is nothing I can see in the budget forecasts to pay for expansion and seeing as the NRL refuses to release its strategic plan it is impossible to see it it is even part of their strategy over the next 5 years! Expansion of 2 teams will cost in the region of $30mill a year min. Unless they have set it in budget forecasts it wont happen until the next TV deal, if then.

beave

Coach
Beattie was tweeting some
Cryptic shit this evening about expansion. I honestly think he is pushing for perth behind the scenes.

Diesel

Referee
Beattie was tweeting some
Cryptic shit this evening about expansion. I honestly think he is pushing for perth behind the scenes.
Can you post the tweet?

Beattie is doing more for expansion than any administration since Arko and Quayle.
Gallop kinda messed up with the Titans in hindsight, but was more righting a wrong after the SL/ARL peace deal

Latest posts