What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of Origin 2018

Travitoh

First Grade
Should Billy Slater be left out for game 2? In my opinion this series is done and dusted I just don’t see QLD having enough looking at the squads.
So my question is should QLD be planning for next year and getting someone else getting the experience in these big games?

If I'm picking the side, Ponga plays 1. Not because the series is done but because i believe he will bring more to the team than Slater. Not a knock on Slater but i have question marks over him without Cronk or Smith. Ponga's footwork is elite and in what seems to be a predictable backline, he would bring the ability to keep the opposition guessing.

ThingFish

Juniors
If I'm picking the side, Ponga plays 1. Not because the series is done but because i believe he will bring more to the team than Slater. Not a knock on Slater but i have question marks over him without Cronk or Smith. Ponga's footwork is elite and in what seems to be a predictable backline, he would bring the ability to keep the opposition guessing.
The one they need in is Glasby. He did a job on us game 2 last year. They need D up the middle.

Inkers75

Juniors

Travitoh

First Grade
James will get the spot.
Cronulla have the bye this week so Prior can provide an extra body at training. If another forward is needed, Tariq Sims will be brought in ahead of Prior.

Travitoh

First Grade
Lol. Slater picked at 1 with Ponga on the bench.
Kevvie clinging to the glory days like a drunk dad playing a Springsteen album.

TheFrog

Coach
Tariq Sims will be brought in ahead of Prior.
Tariq is a backrower. They already have a backrower on the bench and the starting backrowers played 80 and 63 minutes in game 1. A genuine prop is needed. Playing backrowers as middle forwards in Origin is just stupid.

Lol. Slater picked at 1 with Ponga on the bench.
Slater directs the defence from the back. He's not as fast on his feet as Ponga but makes up for it between the ears. Queensland will be a much tougher proposition if he plays. Ponga will come on later and try to beat tired defences with his footwork.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
I don't rate Napa. I think he's overrated.
Couldn't agree more, he was quite poor in Game1 but like Trav said, he's probably the only firey Maroons forward that can actually put a bit of fear into the Blues pack.

If Queensland can't get their middle defence sorted, this series is gonna be a white wash.

callmack1

Staff member

Rabbits20

Immortal
Cook and Blues teammates ready for Maroons fightback: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/06/19/cook-and-blues-teammates-ready-for-maroons-fightback/

Cookie in Camp: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/06/19/cookie-in-camp/

Fittler has also confirmed that it'll be Matt Prior who replaces RCG. That's suprising if you ask me, I thought James would 100% get it as he's been in great form and was almost there in Game 1.
QLD'rs will be stoked...... bad choice from Fittler.

ThingFish

Juniors
Cook and Blues teammates ready for Maroons fightback: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/06/19/cook-and-blues-teammates-ready-for-maroons-fightback/

Cookie in Camp: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2018/06/19/cookie-in-camp/

Fittler has also confirmed that it'll be Matt Prior who replaces RCG. That's suprising if you ask me, I thought James would 100% get it as he's been in great form and was almost there in Game 1.
I wasn’t shocked by Prior. All the talking heads on Fox Leauge channel have been talking up Prior, and both Brandy and Fittler where wrapping him earlier in the week. One of their arguments, and I don’t agree with it, i think it’s bullshit, is that he would cover Cook’s defence better than James. They where calling him a “lateral” defender. They also think he has a better offload than James. All I can think about is how James kinda destroyed us when we played the Titans. Anyway time will tell.

Latest posts