What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 State of Origin Game 2 - Sunday June 24

Bazal

Post Whore
It should be an eight point try, so you get the points you would've had anyway and a penalty for the infringement.

That would work too

Six points and a sin bin is very much too heavy a penalty

*unless the foul itself warrants a sin bin/send off, given the rule changes.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Reckon Cleary has been fairly underwhelming, tonight and in the last game.

Obviously still young and will get better.

It should be an eight point try, so you get the points you would've had anyway and a penalty for the infringement.

Yeh but in a lot of these cases it is far from certain that the attacking team would score. Even in this case, which is about as strong as you'll get, you don't know what line Cordner would run chasing the kick and whether the bounce would have been as convenient for him as it was for Chambers.

I don't mind the current treatment. I certainly wouldn't go to the 8 point try idea, coz that's not what 8 point tries are for...but I could see an argument for sin binning the offender if it's a professional foul rather than just foul play that stops a try.

Yeh but in a lot of these cases it is far from certain that the attacking team would score. Even in this case, which is about as strong as you'll get, you don't know what line Cordner would run chasing the kick and whether the bounce would have been as convenient for him as it was for Chambers.

I don't mind the current treatment. I certainly wouldn't go to the 8 point try idea, coz that's not what 8 point tries are for...but I could see an argument for sin binning the offender if it's a professional foul rather than just foul play that stops a try.
But despite the actual wording of the rules about penalty trys, they only give them in cases like this, where it's all but certain they would've scored. So I think a further penalty on top of that is fair enough.

But despite the actual wording of the rules about penalty trys, they only give them in cases like this, where it's all but certain they would've scored. So I think a further penalty on top of that is fair enough.

But it's not necessarily all but certain at the time the offence is committed. In this case Hunt wouldn't have known that Cordner was a real threat, but wouldn't have known a lot more.....he bumped him about a second after the kick

But it's not necessarily all but certain at the time the offence is committed. In this case Hunt wouldn't have known that Cordner was a real threat, but wouldn't have known a lot more.....he bumped him about a second after the kick
In my book that should be part of the risk you run when you decide to commit a foul. If a team can commit fouls and only be penalised the amount that would almost certainly have been scored anyway, then there's no deterrent. And the game is uglier.

In my book that should be part of the risk you run when you decide to commit a foul. If a team can commit fouls and only be penalised the amount that would almost certainly have been scored anyway, then there's no deterrent. And the game is uglier.

Maybe, but there's plenty of deterrent. A lot of times you commit the foul when it wasn't needed and you get penalised and potentially binned. If that kick had trickled dead, Hunt was in the bin.