What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin II - NSW 18-14 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big hit!

Bench
Slater was QLD's best. He won't be playing Origin next year though. Tough few years ahead for the Maroons.

It was 18-14. A few changes to personnel, namely #7 & 9 could make the difference. I wouldn't say NSW have the dynasty in the spine QLD have had the last decade or so.

But yes, it's going to be shit not seeing the skills of Slater out there in future origins. 35yo and just had QLD humming along early in the match. He went missing when Ponga came on. Didn't get involved in as many back line plays. QLD were most dangerous and converted when Slater was calling the shots. Ponga looked flash, but they didn't turn any of it into points

carcharias

Immortal
NSW will put 20 on QLD next game.
Qld up 10 nil ...
then have 10 minutes against 12 men minus the capt and still can’t win.

gUt

Coach
Did chambers ground the ball?

Sin bin yes, but try? A bit too far IMO. Not even soccer gives you a goal for a 'perhaps'. You need to convert a spot kick.

I thought Cordner's theatrical dive was well done and his acting skills were rightly rewarded with a penalty try. For a big tough second rower to so convincing portray getting utterly destroyed by a halfback who was hardly moving shows special talent.

big hit!

Bench
NSW will put 20 on QLD next game.
Qld up 10 nil ...
then have 10 minutes against 12 men minus the capt and still can’t win.

to be fair, NSW had the ball for most of that period. There was Hunt's drop ball and perhaps the penalty for that tackle in among that. We got away with it

First Grade
If the QLD selectors pick Hunt for the next game we deserve to be on the end of a whitewash. Surely they can learn from the NSW example of picking and sticking with an underperforming Mitch Pearce year after year doesn't work. Everyone has the odd bad game but Hunt has never had a good game at this level.
Whitewash incoming "
Maroons halfback Hunt was heavily criticised after the loss but Walters defended the No.7's performance and gave an early indication he is likely to be retained for the dead rubber at Suncorp Stadium on July 11.

"I'm not going to blame Ben for the loss. I won't make any decision [on game three selections], I don't see any reason why he won't be there," Walters said." https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/25/penalty-try-a-bitter-pill-for-beaten-maroons-to-swallow-walters/

betcats

Referee
I thought Cordner's theatrical dive was well done and his acting skills were rightly rewarded with a penalty try. For a big tough second rower to so convincing portray getting utterly destroyed by a halfback who was hardly moving shows special talent.

The qld player did the exact same thing to get Roberts binned, he looked like one of the French football team the way he went down. How does an arm across the chest cause someones arms to flail and legs to go out from under them?

Desert Qlder

First Grade
36054106_1895161230544233_277314922927357952_n.jpg

Definitive proof.

First Grade
"Wish I could turn 21 again"

Latrell, you haven't even turned 21 once
So Joey says "you turned 21 last saturday" (that being the 16th)
Mitchell says "wish I could turn 21 again"
You then derp it up by claiming he hasn't turned 21 yet????????????????????

Meth

Staff member
So Joey says "you turned 21 last saturday" (that being the 16th)
Mitchell says "wish I could turn 21 again"
You then derp it up by claiming he hasn't turned 21 yet????????????????????

calm down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I misheard. I thought he was saying that he was about to turn 21

GongPanther

Referee
Ok Gus we get it... and I agree. Cordner would've scored for sure.
Phil Gould slammed for ‘unprofessional’ commentary
James Matthey@jamesmatthey
8-10 minutes
A BRAVE Blues side resisted everything Queensland threw at it to win Game 2 and claim just its second Origin series victory in 13 years.

NSW overcame the Maroons 18-14 at ANZ Stadium in Sydney on Sunday night to go 2-0 up in the series and give rookie coach Brad Fittler the perfect start to his time in charge.

Here are all the talking points from the match.

Read: Blues finally turn the Origin tide

GUS BLASTED FOR ORIGIN BLUE

Channel 9’s Phil Gould was slammed for his commentary when the video referee was deliberating whether or not to award NSW a penalty try.

When Ben Hunt changed direction and knocked Boyd Cordner to the ground after half-an-hour the Blues skipper was denied the chance to chase a James Maloney grubber into the in-goal.

With no fullback in sight, the on-field referees went upstairs so see whether Cordner was a lock to get to the ball first and score NSW’s second try of the match. While the officials pondered what call to make, Gould — a former NSW coach — was in no doubt what the correct call was.

Almost immediately he said it was without doubt a penalty try — and he said it at least a handful of times after that.

“Should be a sin bin and should be a penalty try,” Gould added. “He was easily going to get there. Easily.”

Again, that was a sentiment he repeated several times before saying: “Come on, Mr Video referee. It’s a penalty try. No risk.”

A penalty try was eventually awarded — the first time that’s happened in Origin since 1981 — but Gould was blasted on social media for his one-sided coverage.

Aussie basketball star Patty Mills — who plays for the San Antonio Spurs in the NBA — also took aim at Gould later in the first half when he called a play by Queensland five-eighth Cameron Munster, who stopped dead in his tracks before exploding off the mark and passing to Greg Inglis 20m out from NSW’s line.

“Watch it, he will put them to sleep. Puts them to sleep — looks for the left foot step, now goes out, basketball pass over the top. That’s brilliant. That is really brilliant,” Gould said. “Usually he will stand there, put them to sleep and come up with the big left foot step. On this occasion, he put them to sleep and then went to the outside.”

Mills hit back at the 59-year-old’s call.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/o...y/news-story/f475cc50cc49f647db1459dcb8c7a138

The Waaaaa!!-Waaaaa!! tears from NEWS LTD,especially the courier mail is delicious.

Watching the likes of Paul "turncoat" Kent on NRL 360 will be satisfying if he admits (which he won't) that he got it wrong.