What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Origin II - NSW 18-14 QLD @ ANZ

Series: NSW v QLD

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

big hit!

Bench
a couple of things amusing me about the general cordner abuse after last night's match are:

1. the opportunity to score a try was taken away from him; &
2. he probably can't remember full time and winning the series as a captain after the napa concussion.

two things he could stick it up to the doubters were taken away from him....LOL!

OldPanther

Coach
a couple of things amusing me about the general cordner abuse after last night's match are:

1. the opportunity to score a try was taken away from him; &
2. he probably can't remember full time and winning the series as a captain after the napa concussion.

two things he could stick it up to the doubters were taken away from him....LOL!

Is this mocking my comment? I didn't have a go at him.

SBD82

Coach
The best compliment I can give Cleary - and I mean this sincerely - is that whilst he wasn't noticed for anything spectacular, he equally wasn't noticed for anything disastrous.

He's a 20yr rookie halfback with less than 50 FG games under his belt. So we shouldn't be expecting miracles.

But what impressed me is that there were no Mitchell Pearce bonehead plays. There was no Ben Hunt gumby grubber for a game defining 7 tackle set.

He's obviously been giving great coaching to just do the basics and do them well - namely tackle like a beast, run where possible, and give good ball to the gun backs.

That's all he did and that's more than enough for now. It was indeed more than enough - we've won 2 nil.

The time will come when he steps up and takes ownership of the team; probably around 2020/21 when Maloney pulls up stumps.

But until then I'm happy to see him tackle hard, run at the line, kick deep, and give ball to Teddy and GoaTrell. And no doubt there'll be some great plays thrown in there too.

Translation for some Penrith fans: Ermagherd!! Just keep the ball away from Fraudner and you'll be best on ground!!
Great comment.

I'd also add that he looked to pass and when it wasn't on he took the hit. Took punishment and kept going to the line.

Not an Andrew Johns performance, but some very good signs for the future.

Bgoodorgoodatit

Juniors
No just a general thing

He did really well getting in the way and taking a settler on the 6th. 3 times I think last night.

Twice actually... The first time he got up and blasted Cleary for passing him the ball instead of kicking it and the second time the pass came from Cook but it was in the second last minute of the game and handing the ball over 3 metre's out from QLD line wasn't the worst option.

Your're right though, he was just getting in the way.. haha

Valheru

Coach
No just a general thing

He did really well getting in the way and taking a settler on the 6th. 3 times I think last night.

It was twice and people have repeatedly brought this up in a desperate attempt to criticise the great man.

The first one went through 4 sets of hands before it got to him and once he was tackled he visibly chastised Cleary for not kicking it. I am curious as to why you believe Cordner was at fault on that occasion? It wasn't a one out play, he didn't call for the ball and he was absolutely in position to chase a kick through.

The 2nd one was a pass direct from Cook at dummy half who should have went open side to his halves. If Cordner (as captain) vetoed that and called for the ball then yes, it is his fault and not Cook's. I will say though that handing the ball over to QLD 3m from their own line with only a few minutes to go whilst clinging on to a 4 point lead and trying to waste time until Roberts came back on and thus avoiding any chance of a 7 tackle set or broken play of some kind is far from the worst idea/result ever.

Lebbo73

Bench
So what happened to passion and the legendary Queensland spirit?

Or did that go out the door with Thurston, Smith and Cronk?
You saw the legendary spirit and Qld’s forward pack shit all over NSW. If it wasn’t for two geniuss in Hunt and Chambers, you’d be staring down the barrel of four series losses and 12 of the last 13 years!

TheFrog

Coach
Queensland finally paid the price for going in with only a second string goal kicker. Maloney converted two from the sideline. That was the difference.

moffla

Bench
Queensland finally paid the price for going in with only a second string goal kicker. Maloney converted two from the sideline. That was the difference.
Yep - you can looks at refereeing decisions, dropped balls etc all you like but one thing that so often gets overlooked is the importance of accurate goal kicking.

Two conversions are worth just as much as any try.

OldPanther

Coach
It was twice and people have repeatedly brought this up in a desperate attempt to criticise the great man.

The first one went through 4 sets of hands before it got to him and once he was tackled he visibly chastised Cleary for not kicking it. I am curious as to why you believe Cordner was at fault on that occasion? It wasn't a one out play, he didn't call for the ball and he was absolutely in position to chase a kick through.

The 2nd one was a pass direct from Cook at dummy half who should have went open side to his halves. If Cordner (as captain) vetoed that and called for the ball then yes, it is his fault and not Cook's. I will say though that handing the ball over to QLD 3m from their own line with only a few minutes to go whilst clinging on to a 4 point lead and trying to waste time until Roberts came back on and thus avoiding any chance of a 7 tackle set or broken play of some kind is far from the worst idea/result ever.

It's not Cleary's fault. He's normally got Kikau the destroyer on the edge who can carry 3 players over the line to score.

Dave_

Juniors
I live in Brisbane. It was glorious listening to 2 heads everywhere eating the team alive. Poor old Hunt, he's the scapegoat. They're still filthy at him for dropping the Donks gf and how he's killing it for the Dragons. Be funny af listening to the hillbillies if he makes the match winning play in the gf this year.

I say well played Hunt, 2 of the best matches you've ever played

Lebbo73

Bench
It’s a tough one because on early year form I’d have had him as a certain starter for QLD and really pushing the blues but it just didn’t happen.
You obviously never watched Broncos games from the 2015 grand final onwards. Even 50% of Dragons supporters were upset at the size of the contract thrown his way!

Lebbo73

Bench
I live in Brisbane. It was glorious listening to 2 heads everywhere eating the team alive. Poor old Hunt, he's the scapegoat. They're still filthy at him for dropping the Donks gf and how he's killing it for the Dragons. Be funny af listening to the hillbillies if he makes the match winning play in the gf this year.

I say well played Hunt, 2 of the best matches you've ever played
The Dragons won’t make the GF. They’ll struggle to make the prelims!

thorson1987

Coach
Watching the replay.

Gus made a good point during the Roberts sin bin.

The ref called time off before T Turbo had been tackled.

"If" Roberts hadn't done anything wrong, where would play have restarted?