What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Parramatta Stadium Rebuild and other stuff

emjaycee

Coach
If this building was of significance, more than a handful of people would have even known it existed.
I've walked past it plenty of times. Always admired it as an historically beautiful building. I've always also known that it isn't publicly accessible. What's the f**king point then keeping it if this historical building is off limits?
What I'd like to see happen, if this is going to become a Greens/Historical shit fight, is that somehow, it can be retained and incorporated into the design of the new museum. Surely this is possible?
My point exactly. Heaps of ways to incorporate it into the design.

Gronk

Staff member
If this building was of significance, more than a handful of people would have even known it existed.
I've walked past it plenty of times. Always admired it as an historically beautiful building. I've always also known that it isn't publicly accessible. What's the f**king point then keeping it if this historical building is off limits?
What I'd like to see happen, if this is going to become a Greens/Historical shit fight, is that somehow, it can be retained and incorporated into the design of the new museum. Surely this is possible?
It’s off limits bc it’s privately owned I believe. So is Macarthur House. So is Roseneath Cottage.

Suitman

Post Whore
It’s off limits bc it’s privately owned I believe. So is Macarthur House. So is Roseneath Cottage.

Fair enough, and I'm no "bulldoze at all costs" type of person. I think it's important to retain heritage listed buildings so that historical architecture can remain as a balance amongst modern day development and be able to retain a presence and a collection of history in the area that it inhabits.
I do however get the shits when places like this are virtually locked off from society, and when demolition is suggested, they are deemed "special" and all hell breaks loose.
This particular case is just an old building. Now that it is heading for the chopping block, all of a sudden it is really special. Why hasn't it been special before this?
And, before you get on your high horse, I said before that I'd be more than happy for it to be protected and retained as part of the Powerhouse development. As long as it's historical significance is made a feature.
Otherwise, bring the f**king bulldozers in.

FFS, all hell broke loose about a swimming pool in Parramatta that was built in the 50's. WTF.

Gronk

Staff member
Fair enough, and I'm no "bulldoze at all costs" type of person. I think it's important to retain heritage listed buildings so that historical architecture can remain as a balance amongst modern day development and be able to retain a presence and a collection of history in the area that it inhabits.
I do however get the shits when places like this are virtually locked off from society, and when demolition is suggested, they are deemed "special" and all hell breaks loose.
This particular case is just an old building. Now that it is heading for the chopping block, all of a sudden it is really special. Why hasn't it been special before this?
And, before you get on your high horse, I said before that I'd be more than happy for it to be protected and retained as part of the Powerhouse development. As long as it's historical significance is made a feature.
Otherwise, bring the f**king bulldozers in.

FFS, all hell broke loose about a swimming pool in Parramatta that was built in the 50's. WTF.

It has been heritage listed for decades. That means it is special.

I agree with you that could be incorporated into the PH.

These homes need to be retained unless there is a compelling reason that you can’t.

So far all we have heard is that the design of the PH needs a larger site. Change it. Go up FFS.

forward pass

Coach
Stupid spot to build such a home anyway. Surely the dimwits who decided to build there would have known that apartments and a museum were likely to built on the site next door.

Gronk

Staff member
Stupid spot to build such a home anyway. Surely the dimwits who decided to build there would have known that apartments and a museum were likely to built on the site next door.

Town Planners in 1850 had NFI. :p

TBH I think that we do go OTT at times. In my area merkins were roping themselves to trees that had to be felled to make way for the Light Rail. I also think that the need to hold on to the Members and Ladies Stands at the SCG was overreaching and now the whole thing looks stupid and is impractical.

I hope they can save the old house. Developers and number crunchers will never find good reasons to keep her. Facts are that we fought to keep The Rocks. Woolloomooloo and Points Point back in the day. The Greenies and Unions (Jack Mundy ?) were considered pains in the arse and IIRC Juanita Nielsen even lost her life over it. I think we can all agree that their fight was well worth it.

Town Planners in 1850 had NFI. :p

TBH I think that we do go OTT at times. In my area merkins were roping themselves to trees that had to be felled to make way for the Light Rail. I also think that the need to hold on to the Members and Ladies Stands at the SCG was overreaching and now the whole thing looks stupid and is impractical.

I hope they can save the old house. Developers and number crunchers will never find good reasons to keep her. Facts are that we fought to keep The Rocks. Woolloomooloo and Points Point back in the day. The Greenies and Unions (Jack Mundy ?) were considered pains in the arse and IIRC Juanita Nielsen even lost her life over it. I think we can all agree that their fight was well worth it.
Yes, these type of buildings have an uncanny knack of spontaneously combusting, once a developer decides that they want the land.

Gronk

Staff member
Yes, these type of buildings have an uncanny knack of spontaneously combusting, once a developer decides that they want the land.

Back in the 70's a developer would remove the tiles from a roof of a heritage building in The Rocks to accelerate it's decay. The Land and Environment Court are not dills anymore. IIRC there was a oops demolition of a heritage building in Annandale (opp Maccas) a few years back. The court fined the cowboy developer but more importantly revoked his development consent. In Melbourne a merkin demolished the Corkman Pub and Council are seeking to have the building rebuilt brick by brick.

Gronk

Staff member
@Suitman @Delboy raised the qn of our Centre of Excellence or lack there of. Is it possible that the new stadium provides these facilities for the Eels ? What exactly is in the bowels of the western stand ?

forward pass

Coach
@Suitman @Delboy raised the qn of our Centre of Excellence or lack there of. Is it possible that the new stadium provides these facilities for the Eels ? What exactly is in the bowels of the western stand ?

Probably a few bars, hot dog stand, souvenir shop and food outlets. I would be very surprised if it had the room for a COE - given the Panthers COE is a sprawling facility with ovals running tracks etc.

My guess is that there would be a fairly substantial gym, medical rooms etc. Not a COE.

strider

Post Whore
I doubt it would be our training facility .... I reckon they will try and use the stadium for anything and everything possible, ruling it out of bounds most the time

Suitman

Post Whore

The western stand is primarily set up for corporates, media, and participating teams and performers.
Unfortunately, no facilities, nor space, for a Centre of Excellence. We will have to continue to use the modern first world and technically impressive demountables at the Saleyards.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
Yeah, no way there would be enough room for anything like that for us there. There should be two sets of dressing sheds too, that will take up some room.

Suitman

Post Whore
2 bays on the north end concourse of the new stadium will have safe standing.
Here's a little video explaining it.

Latest posts