What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Warriors.... robbed

McLovin

Staff member
I agree, some of the refereeing was poor. The calls went both ways. I thought the Sharks were hard done by on numerous occasions.

Eion

First Grade
I reckon that last pass for a try was forward, but every game you can whinge about that...including a far worse one the broncos sank the sharks on last week. Win some, lose some.

Ps thanks again doggies, Woodsy was huge.

footy75

Bench
Warriors got to win those games at home..

i'm worried that game is going to be the spark for their annual choke run

lets hope not

Pass was forward. So was last weeks.

Bad huh.

Anyway can the warriors miss the 8 ?

Panthers
Broncos
Storm
Titans
Dragons
Knights
Dogs
Panthers
Raiders

AJB1102

First Grade
Sharks last try was off a forward pass - called it that way live and the replay didn't change my mind.

wibble

Bench
I am pretty convinced many "forward" passes as spotted by fans are actually fine.

But this one looked pretty forward to me. There may have been some momentum but on a one or two step lead up it would have been limited.

It was a tough call for Warriors fans.

As Gasnier on the coverage and some Sharks fans have said, it "makes up" for "losing" to a forward pass the game before, but that is only for the Sharks. It doesn't help the Warriors at all (or other teams like the Tigers and Raiders who are trying to take their spot, or the Broncos, in the 8).

But in all close games, any number of mistakes, bad calls or fluke plays can change the game.

Warriors were called for milking but Prior got penalised anyway, and Warriors got their field goal off that set. Could easily have been the Sharks getting a set at the other end instead (just one example, plenty of calls and non calls went either way that could have gone the other).

Sharks may have kicked a field goal or scored in the last 4 minutes even if the pass was ruled forward, so the non decision didn't completely seal the Warrior's fate, but it didn't help.

It is hard to say the "better team" won anyway. Warriors started much better, Sharks were all over them through the middle of the game, and it was pretty gritty from both teams at the end.

I can understand Warriors fans feeling robbed.

In reality, both teams had their moments, had some good plays and some bad. Both look likely to make the 8 and will want to improve to seriously threaten.

wibble

Bench
Just for your entertainment, here are the fox sports headlines from the last two Sharks games, which to some (like Gasnier, working at Fox Sports) seemed to end in similar but opposite fashion. I leave it to you to draw your own conclusions.

"Corey Oates scores miracle try as Broncos edge Sharks 20-16"

"Sharks steal win over the Warriors with huge controversy"

Meth

Staff member
After sleeping on it, I'm somewhat more philosophical. The Sharks played better than us for much of the match.

Still think those refs need to be stood down next week though.

The Lee try came off a bizarre claim that the advantage had not been taken because Townsend had botched his opportunity to score.

I still think Beale was entitled to run the line that he did, which led to the penalty- but I can cop that one, I suppose.

We were denied a penalty goal when Satae got his leg pulled. In fact, he was penalised (FMD) for not playing the ball on his feet. Then a suspect penalty up the other end gave the Sharks 2 points.

All of those (aside from the Beale one) were worse calls then the forward pass IMO

Yeah, we should have put them away- but it's certainly hard when you can't get any parity from the refs. 10-5 penalty count, so I guess the Sharks were twice as disciplined.

carcharias

Immortal
After sleeping on it, I'm somewhat more philosophical. The Sharks played better than us for much of the match.

Still think those refs need to be stood down next week though.

The Lee try came off a bizarre claim that the advantage had not been taken because Townsend had botched his opportunity to score.

I still think Beale was entitled to run the line that he did, which led to the penalty- but I can cop that one, I suppose.

We were denied a penalty goal when Satae got his leg pulled. In fact, he was penalised (FMD) for not playing the ball on his feet. Then a suspect penalty up the other end gave the Sharks 2 points.

All of those (aside from the Beale one) were worse calls then the forward pass IMO

Yeah, we should have put them away- but it's certainly hard when you can't get any parity from the refs. 10-5 penalty count, so I guess the Sharks were twice as disciplined.

Good assessment
I think the refs were a bit shit both ways.
Woods got penalised for incorrect play the ball.
Yet the warrior bloke was not square and pushed him as he tried to play it.
Yet he still got his foot to the ball.
Still a warriors penalty.

But ey
We owed you one
Johnson pulled one out of his arse against us a couple of years ago in similar fashion.

Meth

Staff member
Good assessment
I think the refs were a bit shit both ways.
Woods got penalised for incorrect play the ball.
Yet the warrior bloke was not square and pushed him as he tried to play it.
Yet he still got his foot to the ball.
Still a warriors penalty.

But ey
We owed you one
Johnson pulled one out of his arse against us a couple of years ago in similar fashion.

Interestingly, I noticed the Sharks (Woods and Fifita in particular) with some questionable play the balls, but didn't notice ours. Obviously, we had our share- I'm not questioning that. I guess I just naturally watch the ruck much more closely when we're defending.

Life's Good

Coach
The pass to Lee was forward but that’s common nowadays in that it’s a bit of a lottery over what gets called & what doesn’t. For me the advantage call earlier was the real howler. At what point does the advantage take effect, Townsend had run 12 metres? Strange call that will get ZERO scrutiny.

Leber

Bench
Agree on all point. The satae 'penalty' and the advantage not given were blatantly technically incorrect calls.

I guess I can cop missing a forward pass at full speed, but chad had clearly taken his advantage and that call deserves alot more scrutiny.

The warriors play the Broncos in 2 weeks and hopefully we win off a forward pass so the triangle is complete.