What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
It’s a news lt article. I Don’t have access to it but basically the qld gov has sacked the qld stadium board and appointed another. Guess who is on it? Mr John Grant. This can’t be a bad thing can it?

beave

Coach
It’s a news lt article. I Don’t have access to it but basically the qld gov has sacked the qld stadium board and appointed another. Guess who is on it? Mr John Grant. This can’t be a bad thing can it?

What article are you talking about?

*don’t worry, I found it.

Finges crossed they lower the rent for the qld clubs deluxe.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.couriermail.com.au/news...g/news-story/0cf6a1b81c775f7c7de1d7904eef9615

Stadiums Queensland board kicked out over claims of price gouging

Kelmeny Fraser, The Courier-Mail
July 1, 2018 12:00am

THE Palaszczuk Government has sensationally replaced the board of Stadiums Queensland amid complaints the body is price gouging the state’s top football clubs.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk vowed that heads would roll after an investigation by The Sunday Mail exposed the financial burden that the Government body’s soaring rents and levies at major venues imposed on struggling sporting clubs.

Sports Minister Mick de Brenni yesterday confirmed the Government had moved to “refresh” the board in a shift he said would help modernise the operation.

He said the Government had hand-picked a new mix of talent to implement any approved findings of a taxpayer-funded taskforce appointed in April to probe the body’s performance.

It is believed the new board is predominantly from Labor’s Left faction.

A source said the sacked board had been blindsided, believing they had always done a good job.

New board members will include former Australian Rugby League Commission chairman John Grant, north Queensland lawyer Amanda Shircore, health fund executive Cathy McGuane, Greg Webb and Therese Smith.

Chairwoman Sophie Devitt will stay on during the transition and then step down.

Stadiums Queensland manages major venues, including Suncorp Stadium, the Gabba, Townsville’s 1300 SMILES Stadium, Metricon Stadium and the Gold Coast’s Cbus Super Stadium.

Mounting concerns about crippling rents and levies at the stadiums in April prompted Queensland’s NRL, AFL and Super Rugby clubs to join forces in calling for the Government to step in and overhaul the organisation.

The clubs claimed rents and transport levies at Queensland stadiums were now between three and five times more than interstate costs, forcing some clubs to cut staff to stay afloat.

The NRL confirmed its Queensland-based club paid more in rent and operating costs than anywhere else. The Titans rent Cbus Stadium for $110,000 a game and haven’t signed a contract with Stadiums Queensland since 2016.

The Gold Coast Suns pay $8 a ticket in operational costs, compared to $1.20 paid by the biggest AFL and NRL clubs in Australia.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade

Ufff, that could be bad news. I havent met a single labor lefty who didnt hate all professional sports.

The Great Dane

First Grade

Ufff, that could be bad news. I havent met a single labor lefty who didnt hate all professional sports.

Unless it's womens' sports, then they suddenly have a massive interest in sport all of a sudden... lol.

You've obviously not met Anthony Albanese nor Luke Foley then. Both love rugby league. Albanese is a Souths tragic, having served on their Board of Directors, whilst Foley supports the Roosters.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Reckon Beattie is influencing as well. If it gets a better deal for the Qland clubs its got to be a good thing. Not so good for the tax payer though.

Suitman

Post Whore
Click on pics for full size.

ayMVfKM.jpg

01B6v5c.jpg

beave

Coach
My
f**king
God

That is a thing of beauty.

I have some pics of the new NQ stadium but their from a phone camera and down low so they’re not as good as those parra ones. Hopefully there’s some birds eye pics coming in the next few months

Suitman

Post Whore
Sharks going well but their stadium sucks.
At least some time in the future the Eels and Cowboys will have both.

Latest posts