What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kiwis and England returning to Denver next year?

StadiumXIII

Juniors
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/wayne-...otice-over-looming-fight-20180624-p4zneb.html
it's great that such an influential figure in rugby league has expressed his opinion on this! like he says RL NEEDS to EXPAND to find new sources of revenue and create opportunities for players and for the sport to grow. So reading the article it seems the NRL won't hesitate to block players from playing again? surely this is beyond stupidity by the NRL? the test was a success apart for the anthem stuff up this would have been a totally new experience and has broken new ground for RL!!! we do have a great product and it need to be seen globally by ensuring the best players are available for these tests. So where to from here? personally if we are to have a more global product both the NRL & Super League need to be shortened to make way for more international fixtures otherwise we are going to be stuck in the mud.

StadiumXIII

Juniors
Play this game in mid-October.
sure as long as they stick to it with the WC coming their in 2025.. need to take the sport to as many Americans as we can to ensure we have a good product to sell to the tv audiences over there. On field yes, off the field I don't know if Americans will enjoy watching a more than half empty stadium. 19k fans is ok but next year the maximum aim is to double that figure, game day experience could be better too but I wasn't there so what would I know? :p

deluded pom?

Coach
sure as long as they stick to it with the WC coming their in 2025.. need to take the sport to as many Americans as we can to ensure we have a good product to sell to the tv audiences over there. On field yes, off the field I don't know if Americans will enjoy watching a more than half empty stadium. 19k fans is ok but next year the maximum aim is to double that figure, game day experience could be better too but I wasn't there so what would I know? :p
To increase the attendance they need a long lead in not a couple of months like this year. The game needs confirming sooner rather than later.

roughyedspud

Coach
Aussie's & kiwis aren't fit enough...pure & simple lol..

Seriously though...piss poor planning by the nzrl contributed to their experiences in Denver..

The rfl sent Jamie peacock to Denver months ago to check out travel arrangements & facilities...did the nzrl send anyone?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
World Club Challenge is the other one that should be sent overseas....

It is during the off-season (so no backing up next week), meeting in the middle is more reasonable than one team doing the whole trip themselves and, while no one in Australia.England seem to care about the event, it would be a good one to sell to foreign markets ("the WORLDS 2 best teams go head-to-head")

Pommy

Coach
World Club Challenge is the other one that should be sent overseas....

It is during the off-season (so no backing up next week), meeting in the middle is more reasonable than one team doing the whole trip themselves and, while no one in Australia.England seem to care about the event, it would be a good one to sell to foreign markets ("the WORLDS 2 best teams go head-to-head")

It’s not in the off season though.

Pommy

Coach
Aussie's & kiwis aren't fit enough...pure & simple lol..

Seriously though...piss poor planning by the nzrl contributed to their experiences in Denver..

The rfl sent Jamie peacock to Denver months ago to check out travel arrangements & facilities...did the nzrl send anyone?

Widdop is just a natural athlete who wants to play league in his sleep.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/wayne-...otice-over-looming-fight-20180624-p4zneb.html
it's great that such an influential figure in rugby league has expressed his opinion on this! like he says RL NEEDS to EXPAND to find new sources of revenue and create opportunities for players and for the sport to grow. So reading the article it seems the NRL won't hesitate to block players from playing again? surely this is beyond stupidity by the NRL? the test was a success apart for the anthem stuff up this would have been a totally new experience and has broken new ground for RL!!! we do have a great product and it need to be seen globally by ensuring the best players are available for these tests. So where to from here? personally if we are to have a more global product both the NRL & Super League need to be shortened to make way for more international fixtures otherwise we are going to be stuck in the mud.

Play it as a twilight game and don't go head to head with the local MLB team, who drew 39,000 on the same day this year.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
It’s not in the off season though.

Is that semantics about Off-season vs Pre-season?

Obviously the game cant be played while the players are off on holiday. But this can be put on 3 weeks before the next game in R1, so backing up immediately is not an issue like with the Denver game.

Springs09

Juniors
Is that semantics about Off-season vs Pre-season?

Obviously the game cant be played while the players are off on holiday. But this can be put on 3 weeks before the next game in R1, so backing up immediately is not an issue like with the Denver game.

No, he means the World Club Challenge is usually held after 2 or 3 rounds of the ESL have already been played. Hence it's not the off-season for Super League clubs.

deluded pom?

Coach
The Warriors are now finding anything and everything to whinge about.

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/sport-n...m-new-zealand-rugby-league-after-denver-test/

If there were no issues with player fitness or any injuries I don’t see the need for the NZRL or Maguire to ring them. The Warriors are rapidly becoming my least favourite NRL team. Can they not see that an increased profile for the Kiwis will also benefit them?

adamkungl

Immortal

http://www.radiosport.co.nz/sport-n...m-new-zealand-rugby-league-after-denver-test/

If there were no issues with player fitness or any injuries I don’t see the need for the NZRL or Maguire to ring them. The Warriors are rapidly becoming my least favourite NRL team. Can they not see that an increased profile for the Kiwis will also benefit them?

Pretty shit for the previous NZ coach to be involved in this rubbish.

it remains unlikely the club will be willing to support the fixture again next year.

They didn't support it this year.

adamkungl

Immortal
If I had ever been blessed with the talent to play for my country I wouldn’t be whinging about the chance to play for them. The Denver game is coming across as a hindrance rather than an opportunity. I never want to hear anyone at the Warriors whining about the declining interest in RL in New Zealand. As you sow, so shall you reap.

Self interest reigns in Rugby League.

Warriors and Kiwis should be two organisations helping each other to the same goal but instead we get this.

Matua

Bench

The Warriors are my favourite (well only NRL) team and I'm annoyed with them over this whole situation, especially when you consider Kearney is a former Kiwi player and coach.

adamkungl

Immortal
The Warriors are my favourite (well only NRL) team and I'm annoyed with them over this whole situation, especially when you consider Kearney is a former Kiwi player and coach.

I'm glad my club has kept its mouth shut over this. I'd lose a lot of respect for Trent Robinson if he came out sooking about this.

Latest posts