What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

SBD82

Coach
Showing improvement is one thing. Completely overhauling your game plan and coming out on top is another. There are probably examples but I can’t recall any?

Surely if any coach could pull this off it would be Bellamy or Bennett.

I don’t recall them doing anything spectacularly different during the game to change their tactics when we spanked them both at Kogarah?
The one that stands out for me is the 2015 GF, where it looked as though Bennett changed to plan B for the second half and it backfired enormously.

Gareth67

First Grade
*there is no correlation whatsoever between an objective, logical prediction and support for a particular team. If we had no choice but to bet our house on the Dragons winning the comp (that takes the irrational emotion out), most of us would surely, astutely back no.
*all of us 'prefer' our team to win - if you're talking about winning the title.
*an informed negative prediction does not mean you want the team to lose (see above dot points).
*ohhh, the 'you're not a fan' deduction. Clever.

Straight Shooter

Geeze O.V. - i jus luved it when u talk soooo sexxy !

BennyV

Referee
Showing improvement is one thing. Completely overhauling your game plan and coming out on top is another. There are probably examples but I can’t recall any?

Surely if any coach could pull this off it would be Bellamy or Bennett.

I don’t recall them doing anything spectacularly different during the game to change their tactics when we spanked them both at Kogarah?
No one is suggesting a complete overhaul. It could be a very subtle change of attacking structure, a quick switch in defence or a new target of the opposition.

I remember one game in 2011 (although can't recall the opposition) where we lost out left side centre and backrower early in the second half and resulted in Prior defending wide, so the opposition sent several waves down that side and ran in 2 tries to bring the scores very close. So Bennett sent the message out with 15-20 minutes to go for Hornby to move 2 defender out and cover the centres while Prior defended at 3 and boom, the attack was thwarted. Simple, easy Plan B.

These days, Fox Commentators come out after half time and give an update of what the coaches told their team in the shed. Some of them are useless, but many of them indicate a subtle shift in play - target a certain area of the field, Player X needs more early ball, start switching the play back inside or kicking early, this sort of thing. THIS is what we refer to as a Plan B, the ability to adapt to in-game situations. I distinctly remember the Warriors game where Mary's half time message was 'just complete your sets' even though anyone remotely familiar with Rugby League could see that our game plan wasnt working, and when I think of that I cant identify any tactical or strategic messages that he employs, always generic cliches (similar to Price's famous 'run hard, tackle hard' plan). This is an area he needs to either improve or recognise his deficiencies and outsource.

getsmarty

Immortal
No one is suggesting a complete overhaul. It could be a very subtle change of attacking structure, a quick switch in defence or a new target of the opposition.

I remember one game in 2011 (although can't recall the opposition) where we lost out left side centre and backrower early in the second half and resulted in Prior defending wide, so the opposition sent several waves down that side and ran in 2 tries to bring the scores very close. So Bennett sent the message out with 15-20 minutes to go for Hornby to move 2 defender out and cover the centres while Prior defended at 3 and boom, the attack was thwarted. Simple, easy Plan B.

These days, Fox Commentators come out after half time and give an update of what the coaches told their team in the shed. Some of them are useless, but many of them indicate a subtle shift in play - target a certain area of the field, Player X needs more early ball, start switching the play back inside or kicking early, this sort of thing. THIS is what we refer to as a Plan B, the ability to adapt to in-game situations. I distinctly remember the Warriors game where Mary's half time message was 'just complete your sets' even though anyone remotely familiar with Rugby League could see that our game plan wasnt working, and when I think of that I cant identify any tactical or strategic messages that he employs, always generic cliches (similar to Price's famous 'run hard, tackle hard' plan). This is an area he needs to either improve or recognise his deficiencies and outsource.

Well Said.

P.S That being said, we look less structured this year. First 3 tackles usually a hit up and then looks like the Halves call the plays so looks like Mary has given more responsibility to the players on field. What happens when they get bogged down ?The above then comes into play and that is what worries me come Semi finals time.

st penguin

Juniors
Well Said.

P.S That being said, we look less structured this year. First 3 tackles usually a hit up and then looks like the Halves call the plays so looks like Mary has given more responsibility to the players on field. What happens when they get bogged down ?The above then comes into play and that is what worries me come Semi finals time.

I remember seeing a post match interview with Mary early in the season. Maybe round 5 or 6?

They noted that dragons attack was less rigid this year.

His answer was pretty much what you just described. They hit it up three times then the halves call it as they see it.

It took him about 2 minutes to describe this process and they jokingly had to shut him up.

giboz71

First Grade

As I said, I’m sure there are examples of this occurring and your example is a valid one. But you had to go back 7 years, using Bennett, the best coach in history as an example, responding to a situation where we had 2 key injuries.

I agree, Mary can improve in this area but I don’t necessarily think it’s the massive deficiency everyone makes out. Not when you compare him to most coaches anyway (who are not Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy).

As I said, thankfully his Plan A’s have been good enough this year.

ALSGI

Bench
Don't know, there's no real standout. I think the top 3 chances are probably Roosters, Rabbits and Storm.

Cronulla are Penrith are roughies.

Dragons are very unlikely.

Straight Shooter
Hey Stray Shooter.
You honestly don’t rate us likely over of those 5 teams after 16 rounds at the top?
Very sad.
Please tell us what those 5 teams have done better over 16 rounds this year.

BennyV

Referee
As I said, I’m sure there are examples of this occurring and your example is a valid one. But you had to go back 7 years, using Bennett, the best coach in history as an example, responding to a situation where we had 2 key injuries.

I agree, Mary can improve in this area but I don’t necessarily think it’s the massive deficiency everyone makes out. Not when you compare him to most coaches anyway (who are not Wayne Bennett or Craig Bellamy).

As I said, thankfully his Plan A’s have been good enough this year.
I went back 7 years because that game has stuck in my mind since that game to show how the brilliance of a coach able to adapt to a situation won us a tight game. As I said, there are many, many examples of it.

Luckily in 12 of the 15 games we've played this year, we havent needed to adjust the game plan. In the remaining 3, it would have come in super handy. Let's hope we dont need that in the finals, but history tells us that's not the case.

Hey Stray Shooter.
You honestly don’t rate us likely over of those 5 teams after 16 rounds at the top?
Very sad.
Please tell us what those 5 teams have done better over 16 rounds this year.

It's a PREDICTION.

Many things to consider, not just standing at round 16. Those teams have more potential, I'm sad to say.

Straight Shooter

ALSGI

Bench
It's a PREDICTION.

Many things to consider, not just standing at round 16. Those teams have more potential, I'm sad to say.

Straight Shooter
Stray Shooter,
Fair enough, it’s just your prediction but why do you rate those other five teams more likely than our boys?

Frank Facer

First Grade
I went back 7 years because that game has stuck in my mind since that game to show how the brilliance of a coach able to adapt to a situation won us a tight game. As I said, there are many, many examples of it.

Luckily in 12 of the 15 games we've played this year, we havent needed to adjust the game plan. In the remaining 3, it would have come in super handy. Let's hope we dont need that in the finals, but history tells us that's not the case.
In Bennett's last year at our club in 2011. When we were on the slide and in a slump, with our main attacking play being our left side sweeping play, Bennett was asked what the problem was. He replied that he didn't have any answers (just imagine if Mary said the same thing, our forum would be having a meltdown). Our style of play under Bennett was quite boring and unadventurous. Besides our sweeping left side play, our other main try scoring play was the barge over close to the try line. It sounded like Bennett couldn't come up with a plan B when we needed it in 2011.

I think Bennett said something similar when he was coaching Newcastle, when they were in a slump too.

Bennett won 5 or 6 premierships at Brisbane, because he always had a full team of rep players.

The Damo

Juniors
It's a PREDICTION.

Straight Shooter
Potential is one thing - realising it another.
On paper potential the roosters and warriors should be clear front runners. So far, our team has realised their potential far more effectively than they have. Especially when measured against the opposition faced. This shows each teams success against teams in the top 8.
81B4B7EF-16F7-4749-BA66-136694A640F5.png

ouryears

Bench
He was talking about betting - bookies know about betting Buzzfan1
McNuggett has already proven he CANNOT coach, 2014-2017 proved that.

It's Graham, Hunt and Dufty who have created the difference.

Not Nugget, not even close.

You are about to go through 4 weeks of pain .....and reality is about to hit you.

Report back to me on July 31st... if you are not in therapy.

You like to debate what YOU THINK will happen.

Shut the gob till July 31st and then you can talk actual results, not what's in your dreams.

Thankyou Mrs M. McNuggett.

Last edited:

BennyV

Referee
In Bennett's last year at our club in 2011. When we were on the slide and in a slump, with our main attacking play being our left side sweeping play, Bennett was asked what the problem was. He replied that he didn't have any answers (just imagine if Mary said the same thing, our forum would be having a meltdown). Our style of play under Bennett was quite boring and unadventurous. Besides our sweeping left side play, our other main try scoring play was the barge over close to the try line. It sounded like Bennett couldn't come up with a plan B when we needed it in 2011.

I think Bennett said something similar when he was coaching Newcastle, when they were in a slump too.

Bennett won 5 or 6 premierships at Brisbane, because he always had a full team of rep players.
Bennett won a premiership with us because he was Bennett. Mary sure as shit would not have won a premiership with our 2010 team.

The Damo

Juniors
McNuggett has already proven he CANNOT coach, 2014-2017 proved that.

It's Graham, Hunt and Dufty who have created the difference.

Not Nugget, not even close.

You are about to go through 4 weeks of pain .....and reality is about to hit you.

Report back to me on July 31st... if you are not in therapy.

You like to debate what YOU THINK will happen.

Shut the gob till July 31st and then you can talk actual results, not what's in your dreams.

Thankyou Mrs M. McNuggett.
Hehehehehehehe, glad you’ve figured out what year Mary started coaching, welcome to the world of objective reality. You probably won’t stay, but try to enjoy your time here.
I am talking actual results - like us having 2 more wins vs top 8 teams than any of the other teams you’ve got a hard-on for. I know actual facts make you feel sad and look stupid, but there’s hope for everyone Buzzfan1.

ouryears

Bench
Hehehehehehehe, glad you’ve figured out what year Mary started coaching, welcome to the world of objective reality. You probably won’t stay, but try to enjoy your time here.
I am talking actual results - like us having 2 more wins vs top 8 teams than any of the other teams you’ve got a hard-on for. I know actual facts make you feel sad and look stupid, but there’s hope for everyone Buzzfan1.

Child.
I told you to wait till July 31st.

Now wait!

Crush

Coach
Unfortunately ouryears days are numbered here. He is taking on anyone that will have a crack. The beginning of the end. I enjoy it actually. It makes me want to win even more when a troll is death riding us.
Go the mighty dragons!!!!

The Damo

Juniors
Unfortunately ouryears days are numbered here. He is taking on anyone that will have a crack. The beginning of the end. I enjoy it actually. It makes me want to win even more when a troll is death riding us.
Go the mighty dragons!!!!
Yeah, he’s pretty close to the edge I think. Of course I don’t enjoy nudging him closer, it’s purely community service. It does make winning all the sweeter knowing that it irks his type.
Carn the Dragons!