What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Valentine Holmes

YTSharks

Juniors
I think he's coming a long brilliantly in the attack side of things. He's certainly getting more involved in backline movements, more than Duges who has been a FB for many years.

I do agree he has things to learn in defence though but there's no reason why he can't learn that aspect from Duges, who is bloody good in that area.
Got Duges and Moyza in the squad to help him. Neither are slouches at 1

Weaponhead

Coach
We gain Barba at start of 2019, lose Holmes at end of 2019.
We don't gain Barba at all, lose Holmes at end of 2019.

Rather have Barba than nothing and wingers are highly replaceable in today's game.
I question that statement that wingers are highly replaceable. The best wingers are hugely important in finishing, creating chances, defusing kicks and making yards. Far more important than in the past.

Having a player that can consistently score 16+ tries per season matters.

carcharias

Immortal
Holmes is a bloody good attacking player
Barba is in a different class
That is not putting shit on Val - Barba is a freak with endless natural ability.
Better than %99 I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Slater at his peak is comparable.
Preston too.
However- old Benny is not that young anymore and has a shit load of baggage.
I’d hate to lose Val because we got Barba back.
It would be a massive gamble.
Massive.
Benny gets a major injury and he his almost at retirement age by the time he gets back.

I want both and Ennis and a time machine set for 2016.

It is a conundrum.

But f**k I love Barba back

Card Shark

Immortal
I can’t believe some people don’t care if we lose Val.

We are boring enough with him in the team, our only player to really get excited about in attack.

Getting Barba back is not worth it if it costs us Val imo.

Having said that, listening to his interview in state of origin camp the other day when he said he would like to be closer to his parents etc, i reckon he’s gone at the end of next year for sure....& May well ask for a release this year.

txta2

Bench
Val is going, no doubt about it, judging by what he is saying. And the Barba talk has not been happening at all. So it is a bit of a worry but I'm sure Flanno has a cunning like Balderick would say from Blackadder

I can’t believe some people don’t care if we lose Val.

We are boring enough with him in the team, our only player to really get excited about in attack.

Getting Barba back is not worth it if it costs us Val imo.

Having said that, listening to his interview in state of origin camp the other day when he said he would like to be closer to his parents etc, i reckon he’s gone at the end of next year for sure....& May well ask for a release this year.
He is being over paid right now. MAke no mistake, he is putting the club in a position by negotiating now, which he is not entitled to do. He even admitted in the origin interview. Right now , what he is chasing is an increase on next years salary, if he really has any intention of staying with us.
If he isn't, then next year he will be a dead rubber for us.
I get the kids love him etc & marketing appeal is high, aswas Peach & Presto. But the latter handled themselves with a lot more dignity & were never in the media every second week saying I want this position & I'm going home. Even Presto kept his mouth shut during the Anderson era. He just left.
So, what would I do now if in management? One more public word of contract, contact the NRL for Breach notice. Start hunting up replacements from everywhere(that kid playing half for Pennys last night, is going to be something) Break the bank to bring Benny home for 3 years to ease the kids pain. Develop a new fullback.
I woulds expect anybody who is on $850k would be wanting a serious upgrade. Is Holmes worth over a $1.1-1.3 mil per year?

tye

Juniors
Holmes is a bloody good attacking player
Barba is in a different class
That is not putting shit on Val - Barba is a freak with endless natural ability.
Better than %99 I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Slater at his peak is comparable.
Preston too.
However- old Benny is not that young anymore and has a shit load of baggage.
I’d hate to lose Val because we got Barba back.
It would be a massive gamble.
Massive.
Benny gets a major injury and he his almost at retirement age by the time he gets back.

I want both and Ennis and a time machine set for 2016.

It is a conundrum.

But f**k I love Barba back
Have to agree! Would hate to lose Val with so many years ahead of him!

tye

Juniors
He is being over paid right now. MAke no mistake, he is putting the club in a position by negotiating now, which he is not entitled to do. He even admitted in the origin interview. Right now , what he is chasing is an increase on next years salary, if he really has any intention of staying with us.
If he isn't, then next year he will be a dead rubber for us.
I get the kids love him etc & marketing appeal is high, aswas Peach & Presto. But the latter handled themselves with a lot more dignity & were never in the media every second week saying I want this position & I'm going home. Even Presto kept his mouth shut during the Anderson era. He just left.
So, what would I do now if in management? One more public word of contract, contact the NRL for Breach notice. Start hunting up replacements from everywhere(that kid playing half for Pennys last night, is going to be something) Break the bank to bring Benny home for 3 years to ease the kids pain. Develop a new fullback.
I woulds expect anybody who is on $850k would be wanting a serious upgrade. Is Holmes worth over a $1.1-1.3 mil per year?
If I was management I’d get him in the office straight after SOO and offer him 6 years at $1m. You don’t let talent like that walk out the door!

Latest posts