What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non Footy Chat Thread II

Noise

Coach
Anyone here had to put their dog down before? I had to do it yesterday to my dog, was 12 and a half and crap it was the suckiest experience. I see these stories often and people say how shitty it is but man, having to do it was harder than I thought. It's amazing how our furry friends become family and I've been less upset over friends or extended family that die.

Yep. When I was about 21 we had to put the family dog down (who was about 12 or 13 years old). Parents were out so HappyMel and I had to take her to the vet and make the decision. Was f**king horrible. Still a pretty vivid memory 15 years later. Our other dog who was a year older was put down about 2 years before hand. Feel for you mate.

Anyone here had to put their dog down before? I had to do it yesterday to my dog, was 12 and a half and crap it was the suckiest experience. I see these stories often and people say how shitty it is but man, having to do it was harder than I thought. It's amazing how our furry friends become family and I've been less upset over friends or extended family that die.

Not fun mate. I was dog-sitting my boss's elderly dog, and had to take it to be put down (possibly should have happened earlier). I stayed with him (the dog) through the process. My own dogs have managed to get hit by trucks or just not wake up.

strider

Post Whore
I only ever had one dog when i was about 8 .... he didnt work out well - but my mum took him to the rspca who apparently found him a nice home on a farm

Happy MEel

First Grade
Sorry to hear mate. As Noise mentioned, went through this a while ago and still one of the worst days I can remember. My dog now is already 9 years old and even the fact he’s that old bothers me. They are definite one of the family. Hope you’re doing ok mate.

Snoochies

First Grade
Thanks everyone for the kind words, wise words as well. I truly thought maybe I've been over reacting but the more people I speak to, it seems everyone has struggled with it as well.
My boy was in my arms when he went which was hard but he left in his favourite spot. Everyday it will get a little better but yeah, it sucks.

Incorrect

Coach
I had to get our lab x border collie put down last year. He had snapped at my young fella once, bit him on the hand, and then bit my mum, punctured the skin pretty decent.... Not unprovoked, only ever lashed out if he felt threatened, at least that was my take on it. In any case, we decided to put him down, I couldn't take the risk of him doing it again. But we loved him of course, and we still haven't told the kids we put him down - we told them a friend of a friend who has a farm took him.... And they still ask to go and see him every now and then... Awkward....

But yeah, I was the one who took him to get put down. Completely f**ked up experience... I was the one who picked him out of the litter when we bought him as a puppy, and I was closer to him than anyone so it broke me having to put him down... Sitting in the waiting room at the vet and seeing all these other dogs there to get better from their ailments, and there I was holding mine until it was time to give him his lethal injection.... Still upsets me now...

The missus went and bought a new puppy start of the year, a much smaller dog, and it has filled the gap for her and the kids. I'm making a conscious effort not to get too attached, I don't want to go through putting another one down again prematurely...

And yeah, the comment earlier is so true... Dogs never judge you, never deceive you, never fail to acknowledge you when you come home after a day at work... Man's best friend absolutely...

ouryears

Bench
Thanks everyone for the kind words, wise words as well. I truly thought maybe I've been over reacting but the more people I speak to, it seems everyone has struggled with it as well.
My boy was in my arms when he went which was hard but he left in his favourite spot. Everyday it will get a little better but yeah, it sucks.
Feel for you heaps Snoochies, I had my gorgeous loyal Lucy put to sleep 12 months ago, she was 15, we had her since she was 4 months old, she was like a daughter to us.

She was so loyal and loving, it was so devastating to see her no longer be able to walk up a step, I tried telling the vet she hadn’t had a heart attack and maybe she ate something bad, but over the course of the next 48 hours she got worse.

When the vet walked in she was lying in front of our heater on a blanket ....and still wagged her tail.

I held her in my arms when the time came, at home with the vet, we all sat and hugged her crying our eyes out, every day I think of her, good old Lucy. Loved her to death mate. One year later I still get tears thinking of her.

I hope you do ok mate, it’s a big loss, keep the happy memories in your thoughts every day.

Last edited:

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Yep. A year and half ago with one of our dogs. Ridgeback who was only 5. I still miss him.

Kornstar

Coach
Anyone ever stop taking anxiety medication?

Oh and i know everyone hates cats but i love cats and my oldest is 14 years old so the time is coming and my 4 are all inside/netted outside area cats so don’t destroy the wildlife or get in other yards or on the road.

I’m am dreading the day that i have to say goodbye.......

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
Anyone ever stop taking anxiety medication?

Oh and i know everyone hates cats but i love cats and my oldest is 14 years old so the time is coming and my 4 are all inside/netted outside area cats so don’t destroy the wildlife or get in other yards or on the road.

I’m am dreading the day that i have to say goodbye.......

I Love cats mate (and most dogs)

There's a lot of pet books out there, I have the following, and its a true story as well

Dewie: the small town library cat

th

Its amazing how a small creature can have a positive effect on many people (a community even), and even changed peoples lives for the better. Worth a read

Your cat could live well for another few years, but yeah it will be awefull when the time comes. You maybe already doing it, but get it checked at the vet yearly for a blood test, if it picks up something early you can maybe prolong its life by some changes in diet

Last edited:

Kornstar

Coach
I Love cats mate (and most dogs)

There's a lot of pet books out there, I have the following, and its a true story as well

Dewie: the small town library cat

th

Its amazing how a small creature can have a positive effect on many people (a community even), and even changed peoples lives for the better. Worth a read

Your cat could live well for another few years, but yeah it will be awefull when the time comes. You maybe already doing it, but get it checked at the vet yearly for a blood test, if it picks up something early you can maybe prolong its life by some changes in diet

I don’t dislike dogs either but i hate owning them. Other people’s are great!

Thankfully so far everything is ok with my 2 older (14 &12) cats medically.

Yes. Sometimes I get really fking frustrated and give up on it for a while

My doctor moved away so i have a new one and she is fresh into practice so she asked if they were necessary any more and i told her as if i would know, that’s her job to tell me (not in those words).

Anyways i told her that when i started taking it i felt a noticeable difference but no idea whether they are still required cause i am not a medical professional.

She said to ween off it so i have and now that i have completely stopped taking it (into the third week) i can feel it, I’m sure you understand what I’m talking about but i can feel the change and the anxiousness and irritability and snapping for no reason and i just don’t feel right, which is why i went to the doctor a few years ago and he put me on those pills for it.

Now i may not even have anxiety and whatever is wrong with me could be something completely different but whatever was in that medication made a difference and it wasn’t even a high dose.

I guess I’m just wondering if this is a temporary thing for coming off it and I’m being dramatic and anyone with experience would be good to get their thoughts from.

I am on my 3rd doctor now (not by my choice, the previous 2 doctors left their respective practices and moved too far away) since starting this medication and I’ll be completely honest, I’ve told them how i feel like you are supposed to and they really don’t seem to give a shit. At least this one is trying i guess but i am a little bit disillusioned with doctors right now.

It’s frustrating.

Gronk

Staff member
Our dog was looking particularly rusty this morning @Snoochies and TBH I thought at the time that he might not have much time left. He is as annoying AF, but the house would be pretty empty without his constant yapping. IIRC he's about 12. I think small dogs live longer than large, so he might have a few annoying yap yap whine years left in him yet.

Clipboard01.jpg

Bazal

Post Whore

My doctor moved away so i have a new one and she is fresh into practice so she asked if they were necessary any more and i told her as if i would know, that’s her job to tell me (not in those words).

Anyways i told her that when i started taking it i felt a noticeable difference but no idea whether they are still required cause i am not a medical professional.

She said to ween off it so i have and now that i have completely stopped taking it (into the third week) i can feel it, I’m sure you understand what I’m talking about but i can feel the change and the anxiousness and irritability and snapping for no reason and i just don’t feel right, which is why i went to the doctor a few years ago and he put me on those pills for it.

Now i may not even have anxiety and whatever is wrong with me could be something completely different but whatever was in that medication made a difference and it wasn’t even a high dose.

I guess I’m just wondering if this is a temporary thing for coming off it and I’m being dramatic and anyone with experience would be good to get their thoughts from.

I am on my 3rd doctor now (not by my choice, the previous 2 doctors left their respective practices and moved too far away) since starting this medication and I’ll be completely honest, I’ve told them how i feel like you are supposed to and they really don’t seem to give a shit. At least this one is trying i guess but i am a little bit disillusioned with doctors right now.

It’s frustrating.

It can be temporary for sure. Your body will be out of whack once you stop taking anything like that and it can take a while for everything to work normally again.

I get very irritable when I go off mine too but it settles after a while. I also sometimes get an increase in panic attacks vs not taking the drugs at all when I'm in that just stopped period.

Then again, it could also be genuine anxiety

Gronk

Staff member

It’s frustrating.

Mate GPs have their place, but at times I think that they are a jack of all trades and master of none.

I reckon when there is important shit to deal with in life, that you should just deal with experts. My first port of call would be Beyond Blue. Call them and they will talk you through if you have been weaned off the meds correctly. Most importantly they will give you time and respect. Which is what you deserve.

https://www.beyondblue.org.au/get-s...pies/medication-withdrawal-and-feeling-better