What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragons sign Korbin Sims

The Damo

Juniors
So the correct answer is no SOO & no Kangaroos so a resume similar to Lafai
Re Bennett cut J Moz and gave us Price and the Broncos Henjak and now gifted us Korbin
I think Bennett could coach but not so sure his recommendations have been very good thus far.
If it was choice of keeping LAM or buying Korbin I know which I would prefer so can’t see it as any kind of upgrade however certainly a better prospect than
Latimore.
Handy but not overly exciting IMO not yet anyway
Yes but no ones claiming we’ve signed one of the best players - but that it’s a good signing, an experienced capable first grade forward.
My point wasn’t that Bennett recommended him to us, but that Bennett himself signed him twice and played him for roughly four years. That’s a pretty good indication that he’s a useful player to have on a team.

ouryears

Bench
Mate don't bother the guys a troll
Obviously, very clearly, Widdop is not a player others are rushing to play with.

If he was a player others were rushing to play alongside, we sure as hell wouldn't have so many top line players refusing our offers.

You continually report fake news and BS to subdue the masses.

Mr mediocrity.

See how everyone feels in week 4 August when we are done.

Till then, just keep your gob shut.

jak

Bench
Obviously, very clearly, Widdop is not a player others are rushing to play with.

If he was a player others were rushing to play alongside, we sure as hell wouldn't have so many top line players refusing our offers.

Mr mediocrity.

so its not mary its widdop

hazzbeen

Bench

Mr mediocrity.

Settle mate I respect dragonssamy and what he finds out for us , and I also respect what you are saying and trying to get across . I for one agree a lot with what you do say , and I am not sold on this year and I think the slide from previous has started . Lets all try and keep it civil remember we are all suppose to be supporting the same team here , and we dont have to agree with each other so lets try and get on .....

Lovemedragons

Juniors
No one can accuse us of trying to buy a premiership. We shop at Go Lo and the Reject Shop. The only major signing that we have recently made was Hunt and it didn't look like Brisbane were that concerned about him leaving. The problem is that we don't seem to ever get any players who are in demand. It is like if there are other clubs in the running for a players signature, then we are instantly out of the race. We weren't even mentioned about being in the race for Tedesco, even though we had Dugan off contract and on 800K plus, Tedesco was reported to have signed with East for 700 or 750K, but we all know that he signed for a lot more, including TPA's. We haven't even been mentioned as a possible suitor for Pangai Junior. It is quite depressing.
This is so true, I guess, and as an outsider to it all this is only a guess, it's because we don't play the TPA game at all well and the elite players and managers already know this. I like the Reject Shop and the Go Lo references, if the shoe fits....

getsmarty

Immortal
Sims's to reunite at Red V
Author
Brad Walter & Dan Walsh
Timestamp
Wed 18 Jul 2018, 06:02 PM

It's an indication of how seriously Tariq Sims treats State of Origin that the Dragons forward didn't know he and brother Korbin would be reunited next year until he was told he had to front the media on Wednesday.

Tariq was informed about the deal on the same training field where their mother Jacqueline used to watch them as juniors at WIN Stadium.

Despite growing up in Gerringong and playing in the Illawarra Steelers junior representative teams, Korbin has pledged his allegiances to Queensland while Tariq last week made his debut for NSW.

As a result, the brothers have had little contact during the Origin period and while Tariq had spoken to Korbin about joining St George Illawarra he didn't know the Brisbane prop was returning home until asked to speak to reporters at training after the three-year deal was announced.

Six Hall of Fame inductees named for 2018

"It is a sore point," Tariq said about Korbin aligning with the Maroons after signing with the Broncos as a teenager. "While this has all been going on we haven't been talking.

"I'm assuming everyone else knew but I didn't find out until I got told I had media. They just said, 'you're up, we want you to talk about how we have just signed your brother'. I said, 'how good is that'."

An excited Sims pointed out to media the spot on the western side of the No.2 ground at WIN Stadium where his mother used to sit and offer advice to him and Korbin while they were training for the Steelers' Harold Mathews Cup and SG Ball Cup teams.

"We couldn't drive so Mum used to sit on the other side of that demountable [building] at every training session and just spray us," Tariq said. "She'd tell us what we were doing right, and what we were doing wrong."

The advice clearly did no harm, as Tariq, Korbin and older brother Ashton all made it to the Telstra Premiership and were all recruited by the Broncos in 2008 after Ashton had started his career as a Dragon.

Korbin was just 15 and qualifies for Queensland as it was before the Origin eligibility rules were changed to stipulate a player must reside in the state before the age of 13.

He and Tariq played together at Newcastle, where Korbin first rose to prominence as an aggressive front-rower, earning a call-up into the Maroons' 20-man squad in 2015.

"It is a pretty special moment and I am obviously very excited to get Korbin back down here playing some good football," Tariq said. "We talk being family but as far as where he was with his decision and what he wanted to do, that was all up to him.

"I said to him I'd love to have you here and explained what we are building towards and what sort of direction we are going in but ultimately the decision was up to him.

"Luckily we have got a good recruitment tool in Mary [coach Paul McGregor]. He addresses his players and talks to his players like they are family so whatever was said behind closed doors obviously worked."

Sims will replace New Zealand forward Leeson Ah Mau, who is returning to Auckland to join the Warriors at the end of the season.

"He is a 27-year-old front rower who is just coming into his prime," Tariq said of Korbin. "He has had a few injuries but on the other side of that the rest of his body has had a lot of time to heal and as a growing front-rower he brings a lot of aggression, and he can ball play a bit too."

With the emergence of Tevita Pangai jnr, Matt Lodge, Payne Haas and David Fifita, he has slid down the Broncos pecking order this season, and will join the Dragons on the recommendation of mentor Wayne Bennett.

"The club spoke to Wayne Bennett about Korbin, and he gave him a big rap as a person and coachable-wise, and where he sees him developing moving forward. We're really pleased to get him on board," Dragons director of pathways Ian Millward said.

"We know how close Korbin was to playing for Queensland, and he's seen the advancement of [brother] Tariq to play Origin this season as well as Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan and Tyson Frizell so we know he's keen to follow in their footsteps."

The signing of Sims, who has played 112 NRL games and seven Tests for Fiji, also bodes well for St George Illawarra's retention of Tariq when he comes off contract at the end of next season.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/07/19/sims-to-reunite-at-red-v/

This is so true, I guess, and as an outsider to it all this is only a guess, it's because we don't play the TPA game at all well and the elite players and managers already know this. I like the Reject Shop and the Go Lo references, if the shoe fits....
Yeah but we are not the only club that can't fill thier TPAs.
The only ones who can are the Roosters and the one team towns and even the Broncos seem to have trouble matching it with the Roosters.

What gets me from all this is the comments from the Broncos in thier statements over Pangai Jr.
They said they could match the Roosters contract offer, but not the entire "package"
Which suggests to me that the Roosters offer included TPAs.
Now my understanding of the salary cap, joke that it is, expressly forbids clubs garenteeing TPAs in thier contract offers.
TPAs have to come from third parties not connected to the clubs and cannot be part of an offer.

We need to get back to the old system of two players being "marque signings" and only they are allowed to receive TPAs above and beyond thier contracts.

The salary cap was introduced to form an even competition where no club gets an advantage, it obviously is no longer working.

getsmarty

Immortal
Yeah but we are not the only club that can't fill thier TPAs.
The only ones who can are the Roosters and the one team towns and even the Broncos seem to have trouble matching it with the Roosters.

What gets me from all this is the comments from the Broncos in thier statements over Pangai Jr.
They said they could match the Roosters contract offer, but not the entire "package"
Which suggests to me that the Roosters offer included TPAs.
Now my understanding of the salary cap, joke that it is, expressly forbids clubs garenteeing TPAs in thier contract offers.
TPAs have to come from third parties not connected to the clubs and cannot be part of an offer.

We need to get back to the old system of two players being "marque signings" and only they are allowed to receive TPAs above and beyond thier contracts.

The salary cap was introduced to form an even competition where no club gets an advantage, it obviously is no longer working.

Its never worked.. and TBH you cannot police it entirely. Creative accountants will always find a way around things.

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Mr mediocrity.

Troll troll troll

Its never worked.. and TBH you cannot police it entirely. Creative accountants will always find a way around things.
I don’t know what the answer is.
Maybe agreed values for certain players mandated by the NRL.
That way you can’t get around undervaluing players and topping it up with TPAs.

Make the managers legally responsible for third party sponsorship.

Maybe introduce a cap that includes an extra 20% of TPAs and no more.
Then it’s up to clubs to fill that number as they see fit, spread it around however many players they want or give it all to one player.
But put a cap on the amount.

If they mandated that the cap was 8.5 million, then you can top that up with a verifiable 1.5 million in TPAs.

Draginzaaar

Bench
I just read that Brisbane are apparently going to sign Haas to a 6 year deal for 500K a season. That is a bargain if I have ever seen one. Unless there is a massive 3rd party deal that hasn't been mentioned, Haas should sack his manager.
Could be another Moses Suli or Karlos Falinga.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
Could be another Moses Suli or Karlos Falinga.

He won't. Haas is pretty much the prop equivalent of Kalyn Ponga. If he stays injury free, he'll be one of the best we've seen.

The Broncos have the best crop of young forwards i've seen for a long time. Haas, Ofahengaue, Pat Carrigan, Su'a, David Fifita. They'll all play for QLD.

Last edited:

Latest posts