What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

attn nut munchers

gregstar

Referee
i've probably posed this question before but i'll ask again because i can't remember the answer & i'll be f*cked if i'm going to search for it.

why the f*ck did we get rid of david waite?

and how did it happen.

it's days like today that cause me to think of it.

over to you gooch-sniffers

gregstar

Referee
he left mid-season.

why?

what was the deal with farrart? i don't recall any publicity about it when the merger occurred.

RufusRex

Post Whore
David Waite was the biggest casualty of the Mundine fiasco. Waite rightly knew how good a player choc was. He allowed Choc too much latitude both on/off the field and wore the fallout of Choc leaving plus the pleasure machine incident.

Massive f**k up from the club to flick him though … He was a coach

TomRedVRiver

Bench
i'm having fun dude. how's sh*t your end?

can't complain my end - seen all this crap before.

i've seen enough titles to not be overly upset.

its just fun sinking the boot in & catching the odd fish.

i'm assuming these message boards are for that. footy comes second.

Yeah all good my end bud, need a long bath though after all the noise in this place after a loss. Or a joint the size of Paul's fivehead.

You won't have to try too hard, the f**kers are basically leaping out of the water tonight. How big is your appetite?

gregstar

Referee
Yeah all good my end bud, need a long bath though after all the noise in this place after a loss. Or a joint the size of Paul's fivehead.

You won't have to try too hard, the f**kers are basically leaping out of the water tonight. How big is your appetite?
i don't get here often anymore.

it was a sh*tload of fun around 2005-10. especially in TFC.

gregstar

Referee
David Waite was the biggest casualty of the Mundine fiasco. Waite rightly knew how good a player choc was. He allowed Choc too much latitude both on/off the field and wore the fallout of Choc leaving plus the pleasure machine incident.

Massive f**k up from the club to flick him though … He was a coach
awesome coach, awesome guy.

i defy anyone to show a better coaching effort than '96.

i was absolutely spewing when he left.

merahputih

Juniors
i've probably posed this question before but i'll ask again because i can't remember the answer & i'll be f*cked if i'm going to search for it.

why the f*ck did we get rid of david waite?

and how did it happen.

it's days like today that cause me to think of it.

over to you gooch-sniffers
And so began the honored St George -Illawarra tradition ( save for a brief hiccup from 2009 to 2011) of appointing l-plate park football coaches over anyone with a successful first grade record.

RufusRex

Post Whore
And so began the honored St George -Illawarra tradition ( save for a brief hiccup from 2009 to 2011) of appointing l-plate park football coaches over anyone with a successful first grade record.

77-81 - Harry Bath - External Appointment - 2 x Premierships - 60%
82-87 - Roy Masters - External Appointment - 1 x Grand Final - 56%
88 - Ted Glossup - External Appointment - 1 x Mid Week Cup Victory - 44%
89-90 - Craig Young - Internal Appointment - nothing - 41%
91-95 - Brian Smith - External Appointment - 2 x Grand Finals - 59%
96-00 - David Waite - External Appointment - 2 x Grand Finals - 53%
00-02 - Andrew Farrar - Internal Appointment - nothing - 43%
03-08 - Nathan Brown - Internal Appointment - nothing - 53%
09-11 - Wayne Bennett - External Appointment - Premiership - 65%
12-14 - Steve Price - Internal Appointment - nothing - 38%
14-18 - Paul McGregor - Internal Appointment - nothing - 47%

77-81 - Harry Bath - External Appointment - 2 x Premierships - 60%
82-87 - Roy Masters - External Appointment - 1 x Grand Final - 56%
88 - Ted Glossup - External Appointment - 1 x Mid Week Cup Victory - 44%
89-90 - Craig Young - Internal Appointment - nothing - 41%
91-95 - Brian Smith - External Appointment - 2 x Grand Finals - 59%
96-00 - David Waite - External Appointment - 2 x Grand Finals - 53%
00-02 - Andrew Farrar - Internal Appointment - nothing - 43%
03-08 - Nathan Brown - Internal Appointment - nothing - 53%
09-11 - Wayne Bennett - External Appointment - Premiership - 65%
12-14 - Steve Price - Internal Appointment - nothing - 38%
14-18 - Paul McGregor - Internal Appointment - nothing - 47%
Fake news.
McGregor has given us one finals game, and looks likely to double that this year.
That’s improvement right there.

Dragonsteve2

Juniors
Rufus R,
Thanks for the stats. Very useful. I have been having a few thoughts about Harry Bath since the loss to the Rorters. As I recall there was a belief at St.George late in season 1976 that we had a talented group of young players emerging. What was required was a disciplined, experienced, knowledgeable and successful coach. The result - the signing of Harry Bath and the emergence of "Bath's Babes" to win the 1977 title.

I raise the point now because I think the position of the Dragons now is not dissimilar to 1976. I believe we are looking at a premiership window over the next couple of seasons. We have a strong and experienced pack of forwards. We have a talented halves pairing though at times appearing directionless. We have a speed machine at fullback and a number of promising young backs. What we lack is what Harry Bath provided - a knowledgeable and experienced coach who could pick the best team based on form and develop game plans to overcome the strengths of each opposition.

Mary deserves credit for the strong starts to three of his seasons. I think he has shown some improvement - the last few weeks his use of the bench has improved (admittedly from woeful to average) and his press conferences are a bit more objective compared to his "they scored their tries off kicks" and the 98 metre field scenario of 2016. However he is a very slow learner. It should be painfully obvious that Mary has taken this team as far as he possibly can. I have no understanding of those within the club who continue to extend his contract. Aren't they as passionate as us on the Forum? Wouldn't they love a Premiership as much as us?

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The infamous 70-10 loss to Melbourne (following Mundane’s idiotic remarks) and his alleged inability to relate with younger players led to his downfall.

Gareth67

First Grade
I realize that I am going off the track somewhat , however if only there was a new board with people who were determined to be successful in every avenue of the joint venture, both on and off the field. Please , there must be some corporation or any entity somewhere who can pull the Dragons (undoubtedly bitching and screaming ) into the 21st century .

Until then we shall be stuck in this never ending heartbreak on a yearly basis with a team that has promise , but lacks an astute coach who also is a hard taskmaster and a board that seems intent upon mediocrity .

merahputih

Juniors
I realize that I am going off the track somewhat , however if only there was a new board with people who were determined to be successful in every avenue of the joint venture, both on and off the field. Please , there must be some corporation or any entity somewhere who can pull the Dragons (undoubtedly bitching and screaming ) into the 21st century .

Until then we shall be stuck in this never ending heartbreak on a yearly basis with a team that has promise , but lacks an astute coach who also is a hard taskmaster and a board that seems intent upon mediocrity .
My understanding is that there is a deal pending from Bruce Gordon's family (not WIN Corporation) to buy out the Illawarra side of the joint venture, but as usual these things seem to drag out forever. The transaction would involve a restructured board with representation of the Gordon family as a condition. A figure of $10M was quoted, taking into account the $6M the Dragons owe the NRL. Whether all this ties in with the coming announcement of a new CEO I don't know, but you would have to think there was a connection.

Gareth67

First Grade
My understanding is that there is a deal pending from Bruce Gordon's family (not WIN Corporation) to buy out the Illawarra side of the joint venture, but as usual these things seem to drag out forever. The transaction would involve a restructured board with representation of the Gordon family as a condition. A figure of $10M was quoted, taking into account the $6M the Dragons owe the NRL. Whether all this ties in with the coming announcement of a new CEO I don't know, but you would have to think there was a connection.

Thanks for that imformation - merahpituh , it is as you say , it drags on and on and. . .

Just wish that all parties including the NRL could finally come to an agreement thus ending a long running saga that is worst then watching reruns of ‘ I love Lucy ‘ .

We all have an opinion on the benefits of a relationship with the Gordon’s I know , but if it release the shackles that the NRL have placed upon the joint venture then it would be a step in the right direction . From there I am sure that they - the Gordon’s would not settle for 2nd best and as such would demand success both on and off the field.