What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Matt Cecchin

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Well that's disgraceful. A real shame that's people reacted so badly to make a ref feel that quitting is the solution

Vic Mackey

Referee
The most geniused thing about the death threats following the Tonga game was that he got the call 100% right, yet still copped it.

Exsilium

First Grade
The NRL need to have a good hard look at themselves.

A leading referee quiting highlights the lack of support and accountability the game has toward the men and women who officiate this game.

Who’d want to be a referee when your constantly under scrutiny, rules keep changing, weekly interpretations and the media throws you under the bus.

It’s not just about the Tonga incident. It’s a rot that has manifested over years of mismanagement.

Unfortunately, death threats and fake tough guys are the way of the internet. Anyone with any sort of public profile will receive them even contestants from reality tv like MKR and the Block have been receiving them in the last few years.

I honestly think that 99% of the time, the people who post them have neither the brains nor the ability to carry the threat out but for some reason, they think they are anonymous or that they can say whatever they like on the net and so they post extreme things like threats and death threats.

I can see that it would wear you down over time but I don't think it's ever going to improve... In fact, I think it will get worse.

If you want any sort of career in the spotlight, I'm afraid that this sort of thing on social media will just be "par for the course".

Vozzy

Juniors
Not to mention being called a f**king merkin by the cocaine sniffing immortal.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully he will go to SL where he will be in charge on the field, not have merkin bosses and not have to deal with Australian media dckheads. Pay might not be as good but job satisfaction will be much higher!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unfortunately, death threats and fake tough guys are the way of the internet. Anyone with any sort of public profile will receive them even contestants from reality tv like MKR and the Block have been receiving them in the last few years.

I honestly think that 99% of the time, the people who post them have neither the brains nor the ability to carry the threat out but for some reason, they think they are anonymous or that they can say whatever they like on the net and so they post extreme things like threats and death threats.

I can see that it would wear you down over time but I don't think it's ever going to improve... In fact, I think it will get worse.

If you want any sort of career in the spotlight, I'm afraid that this sort of thing on social media will just be "par for the course".

And there was I thinking these islanders were god fearing Christians!

Meth

Staff member
And there was I thinking these islanders were god fearing Christians!

Certainly not all of them. And it doesn’t take more than a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest of us.

The support for Tonga in the WC was fever pitch and it ended disappointingly, seemingly due to a Cecchin call. It was the right call and people really got carried away, unfortunately

Lambretta

First Grade
I like Cecchin - solid referee who has a great understanding of the game

I think that most people are willing to forgive the referees, but the system they referee under is deeply flawed

We need to go back to one referee per game, and only use the bunker for sideline and end goal put downs.

Back the referee to do his job and if a commentator disagrees with a decision, I want to hear the words "well, the referee saw it differently and he's the one that counts" and that be the end of it

King hit

Coach
Certainly not all of them. And it doesn’t take more than a few bad apples to spoil it for the rest of us.

The support for Tonga in the WC was fever pitch and it ended disappointingly, seemingly due to a Cecchin call. It was the right call and people really got carried away, unfortunately

It was like the 2014 finals game where Liu knocked on at the death denying Thurston the winner. It was the correct decision but everyone was so touched by what the Cowboys did they went beserk over it and lashed out at the referees. Emotion taking over all reality.

BranVan3000

Coach
Ref blaming is a blight on the game

People (particularly the media and journos) complain about stoppages and ask for a fast flowing, quick product one day and complain about wrong on the fly decisions like knock ons the next day

The nature of the game doesn’t allow for perfection in refereeing

Springs09

Juniors
I argue with referees on the field, but that's after I've already reffed 1 or 2 games earlier that day. Our NRL referee development officer here tells people 'if you wanna abuse refs, you be a ref' and I 100% agree.

The abuse of referees is disgusting and it goes from U7s to first grade, everywhere. Most of the time the refs are in it to help the game, and for that public perception of them is ruined. Even refereeing junior footy affects personal lives. And this forum is probably some of the worst for it. No one knows any NRL refs personally but 95% of them are merkins of the highest order because of a few poor decisions apparently.

I don't know what it's like with 2 refs but on your own in the middle you need about 6 eyes to keep an eye on everything.