What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bennett now

I think Bennett is over rated, but I would take him over McGreggor.

I think we have a pretty good roster now, but we need new three quarters. We also need at least one more good prop. Fix that and we have a roster that could win a comp?

Big call Frank but let's look at this objectively and in the context of your post.
1. Overrated or not, Bennett is a savvy coach and a proven man manager.
2. He is likely to attract some serious talent - give him a shopping list and he will bring them to St. George.
3. He will motivate, mentor and develop our up and coming stars. Something McGregor seems incapable of doing.
4. We will have a succession plan because we need to look to the future. I rate JD highly and he has a great coaching pedigree already.
Wayne will bring success to this club once more.
He will have a point to prove so with 2 years to go in his career, you can bet your bottom dollar he will be pulling out all the stops to go out a winner.
I honestly cannot see anything negative about him coming back. I think the players that will remain after the shake out, will be relieved and grateful to have someone like Bennett in charge.
Don't be surprised if guys like JDB and Frizell find a new lease of life.
I say it's time for a big change and a sobering recognition that the Illawarra faction and their blind support of McGregor was nothing but a blight on our history.

Last edited:

WepnutV

Juniors
If I was dragons CEO. I'd be throwing a 7 year 7 figure sum contract at nathan cleary. Then get Ivan on board. Then you will have a Better replacement for Mary and the NSW halfback.. Bennet is never coming back.. Griffen is worse than Mary... Ahhh I'm happy with mary..

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If we did happen to get Bennett, that would certainly shut a lot of people up on this forum. lol It would actually be very interesting to watch this forum if we got Bennett next year.

I don’t think there’s too much to fret about.

If Paul Kent is in the money (and he seems confident) Brisbane and Souths will do a coach swap.

Souths: Bennett
Brisbane: Seibold.

The only issue here is timing, especially since the Broncos have made it abundantly clear that Bennett doesn’t fit into its plans post 2019.

I reckon this will be the most likely scenario.

Following this, Doust will try justifying McGregor’s probable extension by pointing out the team has made “major improvements” when most critics didn’t have the side anywhere semi final contention.

Sadly, we all know this is coming.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
If I was dragons CEO. I'd be throwing a 7 year 7 figure sum contract at nathan cleary. Then get Ivan on board. Then you will have a Better replacement for Mary and the NSW halfback.. Bennet is never coming back.. Griffen is worse than Mary... Ahhh I'm happy with mary..

You may have heard that Saints secured a pretty good halfback named Ben Hunt on a long term deal last year.

nontime111

Juniors
If we did happen to get Bennett, that would certainly shut a lot of people up on this forum. lol It would actually be very interesting to watch this forum if we got Bennett next year.
youll get him here wont you Franky?? you managed to get ol Chook Raper from the Bluebags and heaps of great guns back in the 60s

ouryears

Bench
Big call Frank but let's look at this objectively and in the context of your post.
2. He is likely to attract some serious talent - give him a shopping list and he will bring them to St. George.
3. He will motivate, mentor and develop our up and coming stars. Something McGregor seems incapable of doing.
4. We will have a succession plan because we need to look to the future. I rate JD highly and he has a great coaching pedigree already.
He will have a point to prove so with 2 years to go in his career, you can bet your bottom dollar he will be pulling out all the stops to go out a winner.
I honestly cannot see anything negative about him coming back. I think the players that will remain after the shake out, will be relieved and grateful to have someone like Bennett in charge.
I say it's time for a big change and a sobering recognition that the Illawarra faction and their blind support of McGregor was nothing but a blight on our history.
Well said mate.
And accurate to the tee

ouryears

Bench

If Paul Kent is in the money (and he seems confident) Brisbane and Souths will do a coach swap.

The only issue here is timing, especially since the Broncos have made it abundantly clear that Bennett doesn’t fit into its plans post 2019.

Following this, Doust will try justifying McGregor’s probable extension by pointing out the team has made “major improvements” when most critics didn’t have the side anywhere semi final contention.

Hopefully we will lose all matches, tigers win all.
We finish 9th
Mcidiot gone

If we manage to finish 8th
Semi vs 5th
We lose by 50
Mcidiot gone

ouryears

Bench
And what happened to Newcastle after he f**ked them?

Do some googling.
So you don’t realise Wayne took them to one game of the GF?
And you haven’t read what Tinkler did to the club?

Bennett had to manage mad man Tinkler and he still got them to the prelim final.
It was a miracle result.

He wasn’t told to build the future, he was told to get them to the finals.
He did.

Google it more.

The calm one

Juniors

Why would Souths want to do a coach swap. They have the best young coachs in the game and they swap for one who is ready for the old age pension. ??????

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Why would Souths want to do a coach swap. They have the best young coachs in the game and they swap for one who is ready for the old age pension. ??????

It’s what Seibold wants (remember, he’s a Queendser), and Brisbane have made it clear there’s no room for Bennett.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Blight on our history....the greatest rugby league club ever.....the tail waging the dog