What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels game.

Drag Queen

Bench
You forgot handsome..
Excuse me.. Lafai is the only handsome one in this side bar none. On a more serious note, I don't think Mann and Aitken aren't that disimilar in the way they play. Both tend to be ball hogs, unwilling to offload. I saw it with Mann in ISP in 2016 and I see it today. Aitken is the same. I don't tend to think defense is their main problem. Sincerely from a novice.

TruSaint

Referee
Excuse me.. Lafai is the only handsome one in this side bar none. On a more serious note, I don't think Mann and Aitken aren't that disimilar in the way they play. Both tend to be ball hogs, unwilling to offload. I saw it with Mann in ISP in 2016 and I see it today. Aitken is the same. I don't tend to think defense is their main problem. Sincerely from a novice.

Aitken has been given free reign into the starting 13.

Mann has been used from fullback ( for 2 weeks when he joined ), to being dropped, to winger, to centre, to bench player, to in the halves and recently to forward ...

Mann has more to offer but NOT given the time to show his worth.

Euen, as much as I like the kid, has been given a free ride. Since he was mentioned as an SOO centre he has gone backwards. Defensive reads are very poor.

avocado

Juniors
lol@muzby. I'm glad you think you're funny.

Looking at this Eels side, particularly the backline, I really hope they have an off night otherwise this could be very messy.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
lol@muzby. I'm glad you think you're funny.

Looking at this Eels side, particularly the backline, I really hope they have an off night otherwise this could be very messy.

Unfortunately, the more I look at other teams backlines, the more I think that our backline is one of the worst. Certainly, the Storm, Souths, Roosters, Penrith, Cronulla the Warriors and Brisbane -at full strength- have superior backlines to ours. The Eels have a lot of individual brilliance in their backline and if it clicks, it could be yet another long afternoon for us

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree Kurt Mann should be in the starting side - on the field and puss off Aitkein until he learns how to tackle . The Eels backs are all speed merchants and as said by others they could quite easily rack up many points unless we aim up and play as a top 4 team .

TruSaint

Referee
Agree Kurt Mann should be in the starting side - on the field and puss off Aitkein until he learns how to tackle . The Eels backs are all speed merchants and as said by others they could quite easily rack up many points unless we aim up and play as a top 4 team .

Yep.. this. How many of our back 5 at the minute would get a starting spot in the top 8 sides ?
Sadly I would say NONE

avocado

Juniors
Yep.. this. How many of our back 5 at the minute would get a starting spot in the top 8 sides ?
Sadly I would say NONE
Maybe Dufty, but I agree with you.
Shows just how good our forwards are when we're sitting 4th and have a 3/4 line as poor as ours.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
Agree Kurt Mann should be in the starting side - on the field and puss off Aitkein until he learns how to tackle . The Eels backs are all speed merchants and as said by others they could quite easily rack up many points unless we aim up and play as a top 4 team .[/QUOTE dragons 25 parra 18

Gareth67

First Grade
Sadly I would say NONE

Unfortunately that would indeed be the case TruSaint , our backs resemble a pot of Irish stew , a bit of this and a bit of that , what makes it taste good is the 1/2 bottle of whiskey that was thrown in .

Last edited:

Gareth67

First Grade
Not just fire up the team- also know when to rest key players as Bellamy and Robinson did around Origin time- partially, it reflects our lack of depth and Mary's lack of faith in his ISP players but Mary keeps playing the same team whether they are busted or not, whether they are playing well or not- as Kenny Rogers said ÿou''ve got to know when to hold them and know when to fold them". I'd be folding a couple of these Dragons particularly De Belin, Graham and Aitken who look tired and/or injured to me.

I did say similar myself redandwhites4evr , as many others have also pointed out much earlier in the piece - in fact immediately after the conclusion of the SOO . What can I say , what can anyone say , we can all see the problems and also the consequences of failing to rest injured and physically exhausted players , more so the big man .

But for reasons unknown the maestro fails to come to the same conclusion as the rest of the NRL world. It has me beat , perhaps if someone took him by the head and gave it a damn good shake he may come to his senses ?

Gareth67

First Grade

You bluudy better well be right Overseas dragon - 25-18 you reckon ? O.K. I shall go out to the TAB and put $10 on it .

Gareth67

First Grade
just like you were last week my friend

Well I never had any intention of putting hard earned money on a team coached by Mary , especially at this time of the year . The score that I predicted last week was more about raising the spirits of some of us , perhaps my own . Believe me when I say that what I write sometimes ( score - wise ) doesn’t reflect my true beliefs. However touché my friend.

preview-pic_round-22_eels-v-dragons.jpg

MATCH PREVIEW

NRL preview: Eels v Dragons
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Tue 7 Aug 2018, 05:01 PM

Parramatta impressed in a comfortable win over Gold Coast last week, while St George Illawarra were disappointing in their defeat against the Warriors.

Both sides have plenty to play for, with the Eels desperately trying to avoid the wooden spoon and the Dragons looking to cement a spot inside the top four with the finals looming.

Key match-up: Gareth Widdop v Mitchell Moses. The Dragons pivot has arguably been his team's best player all year, while Moses produced one of his better 80-minute performances at ANZ Stadium against the Titans last start. Both players are fiercely competitive, and will be keen to outpoint their opposing five-eighth.

For the Eels to win: Nathan Brown has been a standout after successfully making the transition from prop to lock in recent seasons. He played 80 minutes against the Titans, with his bruising runs up the middle a highlight. His duel versus NSW lock Jack de Belin is worth the price the admission alone.

For the Dragons to win: Hooker Cameron McInnes needs to rediscover the form which had him in the frame for NSW Origin selection a few months ago. The Botany Rams junior could run riot when running at fatigued defenders.

Eels Stat Attack: Clint Gutherson has been one of his team's shining lights in what has been a testing campaign to date. He has made the fullback spot his own, scoring four tries. He also has five try assists to his name and 159 tackles.

Dragons Stat Attack: Widdop has been a point-scoring machine, amassing 191 so far this season. His goal-kicking accuracy is equally impressive, with a competition-high 87% in 2018. Fullback Matt Dufty has caught the eye with 15 line breaks.

And another thing: The teams met back in late June, with the Dragons coming from behind to win 20-18 in Wollongong. Eels players were shattered after the round 16 defeat and will look to square the ledger this weekend.

Team Lists
Backs
  • Fullback for Eels is number 1 Corey Norman

Fullback for Dragons is number 1 Matthew Dufty
  • Winger for Eels is number 2 Jarryd Hayne

Winger for Dragons is number 2 Jordan Pereira
  • Centre for Eels is number 3 Michael Jennings

Centre for Dragons is number 3 Euan Aitken
  • Centre for Eels is number 4 Clinton Gutherson

Centre for Dragons is number 4 Timoteo Lafai
  • Winger for Eels is number 5 George Jennings

Winger for Dragons is number 5 Jason Nightingale
  • Five-Eighth for Eels is number 6 Jaeman Salmon

Five-Eighth for Dragons is number 6 Gareth Widdop
  • Halfback for Eels is number 7 Mitchell Moses

Halfback for Dragons is number 7 Ben Hunt
Forwards
  • Prop for Eels is number 8 Siosaia Vave

Prop for Dragons is number 8 James Graham
  • Hooker for Eels is number 9 Reed Mahoney

Hooker for Dragons is number 9 Cameron McInnes
  • Prop for Eels is number 10 Tim Mannah

Prop for Dragons is number 10 Leeson Ah Mau
  • 2nd Row for Eels is number 11 Marata Niukore

2nd Row for Dragons is number 11 Tyson Frizell
  • 2nd Row for Eels is number 12 Tepai Moeroa

2nd Row for Dragons is number 12 Tariq Sims
  • Lock for Eels is number 13 Nathan Brown

Lock for Dragons is number 13 Jack de Belin
Interchange
  • Interchange for Eels is number 14 Will Smith

Interchange for Dragons is number 14 Jeremy Latimore
  • Interchange for Eels is number 15 Kane Evans

Interchange for Dragons is number 15 Kurt Mann
  • Interchange for Eels is number 16 Peni Terepo

Interchange for Dragons is number 16 Blake Lawrie
  • Interchange for Eels is number 17 Brad Takairangi

Interchange for Dragons is number 17 Luciano Leilua
Reserves
  • Reserve for Eels is number 18 Bevan French

Reserve for Dragons is number 18 Jacob Host
  • Reserve for Eels is number 19 David Gower

Reserve for Dragons is number 19 Nene Macdonald
  • Reserve for Eels is number 20 Oregon Kaufusi

Reserve for Dragons is number 20 Zac Lomax
  • Reserve for Eels is number 21 Ray Stone

Reserve for Dragons is number 21 Hame Sele
Eels Ins
  • David Gower
  • Oregon Kaufusi
  • Ray Stone
  • Will Smith
Ins
Dragons Ins
  • Blake Lawrie
  • Hame Sele
  • Jacob Host
  • Nene Macdonald
  • Zac Lomax
Eels Outs

Outs
Dragons Ins
  • Paul Vaughan
Eels: Despite a rare win last start, Brad Arthur has implemented a major reshuffle. Rookie Jaeman Salmon starts at five-eighth with Corey Norman taking over at fullback, moving Clint Gutherson to centre, Jarryd Hayne to wing and Bevan French out with Will Smith returning on the bench.

Dragons: Leeson Ah Mau starts at prop for Paul Vaughan (ankle, four weeks) with Blake Lawrie called up on the bench.

Head-to-head: Played 34; Eels 17 wins, Dragons 15 wins, 2 draws
Previous result: Dragons won 20-18 at WIN Stadium in round 16
Points per game: Eels 15.7; Dragons 23.6
Points conceded per game: Eels 21.9; Dragons 18.5
Televised: Live on Fox League

Petero Civoniceva's prediction: It's D-day for the Dragons. There's no doubt their form has slipped and their confidence must be down. The question is whether the Eels have enough clout to take advantage of that. Jarryd Hayne has his mojo back and he'll test the Dragons defence but it's time for the Red V to draw a line in the sand and produce the sort of form that wins semi-finals.

Tip: Dragons by 8

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/08/08/nrl-preview-eels-v-dragons/
You can't help but think that the Parra backline shuffle was done for a reason. We will find out soon enough.

Latest posts