What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nightingale to retire

BLM01

First Grade
Yeh, hats of to you Nighty, I will wipe this year out of my memory as it is not a reflection of the player you have been for this club.
You were Mr Unorthodox and not the flashiest but a true try scorer and rock solid saving our backside on many occasion, playing with heart, passion above your size and weight.
Pleasure paying my membership to go towards your salary.

Last edited:
Farewell champion, and many thanks for the years of blood, sweat, and tears. Let's hope the rest of the boys give you the best shot at equalling Hornby's game record by going all the way to the last weekend in Sept.

And please, if you ever feel the need to coach, do it somewhere else. Your legendary status will mean nothing to many of our supporters if you don't win a premiership as coach, and will shred your reputation to bits.

blacksafake

First Grade
All the best champ.
He could never be bagged for not giving 100% & bleeding for the club.
Always enjoy his interviews because of his modesty & honest responses.Will never forget his tries in the 2010 GF of which imo he never received the accolades other wingers with higher profiles would have.

Dragsters

First Grade
Congratulations on a great career- one club player, premiership winner and will always remember his 2 tries in the 2010 grand final..

Indeed and for me even more so the grand final qualifier vs the tigpies.

The way he came out after half time and imo singlehandedly turn the game for us.

His energy and effort in that game lead to 2 tries and ultimately the Dragons winning the game and subsequent premiership.

Hence he has been my favourite Dragon ever since.

Will be sorely missed by this fan.

Go hard for rest of 2018 Gypsy.

Live long and prosper Champion...

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
A loyal one club St George junior who played an instrumental role in helping deliver a long awaited premiership to the club. Was also good enough to represent his country.

A player that gave his all on the field.

Thanks for the memories, you will be missed.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Indeed and for me even more so the grand final qualifier vs the tigpies.

The way he came out after half time and imo singlehandedly turn the game for us.

His energy and effort in that game lead to 2 tries and ultimately the Dragons winning the game and subsequent premiership.

Hence he has been my favourite Dragon ever since.

Will be sorely missed by this fan.

Go hard for rest of 2018.

Live long and prosper Champion...

Deserved the Clive Churchill in the GF me thinks

ALSGI

Bench
Club Legend forever.
I’ll watch his highlights for years.
Thanks for the memories little mate.

Really should’ve gone to ESL for 17/18 though.
Should step down to reggies now.

Bench
He was the ultimate team player, never took a step back. He always gave 100% in every game. So proud of him for being a one club player and wearing the big red V.
I hope he has the same success in whatever he does next year.
He will be a Saints legend and will not be forgotten.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra veteran Jason Nightingale announces retirement
Local Sport
r0_125_4704_2770_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Hanging up the boots: Dragons winger Jason Nightingale has announced he will retire at the end of the season. Picture: AAP Image/Darren Pateman.

St George Illawarra Dragons veteran Jason Nightingale has announced the 2018 season will be his last in the NRL.

The last remaining player from the Dragons 2010 premiership winning side, Nightingale will retire after a career spanning 12 seasons and featuring 265 NRL games and 33 Tests for New Zealand.

Nightingale could potentially finish his career as the Dragons most capped player, with the 3-year-old just eight games behind former teammate Ben Hornby.

The winger has been a mainstay for the club throughout his career, representing St George in Harold Matthews and SG Ball from 2002 to 2004 before making his first grade debut against the Panthers in round eight, 2007.

It was a successful start to a successful career, with Nightingale scoring the first of his 110 NRL tries in the side’s 28-16 victory.

Nightingale thanked the club and its fans for their support throughout his career.

“It's a very proud and solemn day for me to be announcing the end of the career,” Nightingale said.

“I am extremely grateful for everything that the Dragons and the game has done for myself, and what I've been able to achieve.

“There are so many people to thank for what's been a special journey. From Renown United through to the junior reps to now, through the highs and lows and great successes I've had, I'm just so thankful for this incredible journey.”

Nightingale has won every individual accolade possible at the club, including player of the year and Red V members player of the year. His highlight, however, was the Dragons drought-breaking premiership in 2010.

“There have been so many great seasons personally. To be recognised for so many different reasons that are celebrated at the Dragons, they all still sit on my mantelpiece very nicely.

“The 2010 grand final win was the highlight for me and my family. There are so many fond memories from that day and the season as a whole. Although now is great time to reflect, there are still plenty of memories to be made this season yet.

“However I'm also looking forward to more family time with my second child on the way. My wife Bianka has sacrificed a lot for my career. She's been selfless by supporting me throughout my career, while also building one of her own.

“It'll be good to rearrange my priorities now and put her career first as well as continue to build the Elite Athlete Business School and help fulfil its potential alongside my business partner and the EABS family.”

Dragons coach Paul McGregor praised Nightingale for his contributions to the club both on and off the field.

“It's hard to beat a person who never gives up and Gyspy typifies that,” McGregor said. “He's very tough and very committed. If you look at his career, what he's done season after season is quite incredible.”

“He's been fortunate enough along the way to avoid too many injuries and has represented his country with pride every time he's donned the Kiwis jumper.

“I've known Jason for a very long time so I feel very privileged to have had the honour as a head coach to watch this young man develop into a father, a husband and one of the best clubmen we've had over a long period of time.”

Nightingale is one of a shrinking group of one-club players currently in the NRL and Dragons chief executive Peter Doust praised the veteran for his loyalty to the club throughout his career.

“Jason has always represented himself, his family and the Dragons with distinction and has always been committed to supporting the club's visions both off and on the field,” Doust said.

“He is an outstanding role model who typifies the club's values and we have been privileged that he has remained loyal to the Dragons for so long. He signed eight contracts to remain at the Dragons.

“We are a development club who have always invested and provided opportunities for players in the local area and he epitomises everything we stand for. We couldn't be prouder of what Jason has achieved throughout his career.”

https://www.theleader.com.au/story/5575517/dragons-veteran-announces-retirement/?cs=1633

BLM01

First Grade
All the best champ.
He could never be bagged for not giving 100% & bleeding for the club.
Always enjoy his interviews because of his modesty & honest responses.Will never forget his tries in the 2010 GF of which imo he never received the accolades other wingers with higher profiles would have.
If anyone has watched his press conference was it not refreshing to see a player speak from the heart without a pre written media statement prepared by club staff media which some very recent retirees have done. Pre read basic statements are the worst thing to listen to. There is a time and place for pre written speeches.
I thought it strange that the club offered contract for 2019 as Mary asked Millward if he could fit him under the cap as he wanted him to go round next year. It would have been the coaches fault and the lack of ability to let go of the umbilical cord to let him go round again and possibly start to embarass himself. Good decision Nighty, Poor leadership and man / team management Mary

dannyt

Coach

Latest posts