What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Todd Payton confirmed as new assistant Coach from 2019

Cold Roses

Juniors
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/08/08/payten-signed-as-new-assistant-coach-from-2019/

Payten signed as new assistant coach from 2019
Highly-regarded Todd Payten has been signed by the Vodafone Warriors as an NRL assistant coach from next season.

The 39-year-old current North Queensland assistant coach will move to Mount Smart Stadium on a three-year contract replacing Andrew McFadden, who is returning home to Canberra at the end of the season after six years with the Vodafone Warriors.

“Todd’s a young coach who has made a great impression and we’re really excited about having him on board from next season,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“While replacing Cappy wasn’t going to be easy after the wonderful contribution he has made to our club, we’ve been extremely fortunate to secure Todd.

“After a long playing career, he moved straight into coaching and has quickly established himself at NRL level.”

Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith was also thrilled with Payten’s signing.

“Todd has served a great apprenticeship as a player and coach at very good clubs and has experienced grand final success as both a player and a coach,” he said.

“He’ll provide great support to Stephen alongside Stacey (Jones) and Tony (Iro).”

Following a total of 259 appearances with Canberra, Sydney Roosters and Wests Tigers, front rower Payten was forced into retirement by injury at the end of the 2011 season.

He finished with a grand final winner’s medal when the Tigers beat North Queensland 30-16 in the 2005 grand final.

Payten moved straight into coaching, taking charge of the Tigers’ NYC team in 2012 and guiding the club to title success in the 2013 grand final. He also coached the New South Wales under-18s to victory over Queensland that season and again in 2014, when he had progressed to become an NRL assistant coach at Wests Tigers.

In 2015 he joined the Cowboys as their NYC head coach and was also Paul Green’s NRL assistant coach, savouring North Queensland’s maiden grand final win over Brisbane.

TODD PAYTEN

Born: January 18, 1979
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Coaching Career:
North Queensland NRL assistant coach 2015-2018
North Queensland NYC head coach 2015
Wests Tigers NRL assistant coach 2014
Wests Tigers NYC head coach 2012-2013
New South Wales Under-18 coach 2013-2014
NRL Playing Career: 259 first-grade games 1996-2011
Canberra: 90 games 1996-2002
Sydney Roosters: 18 games 2003
Wests Tigers: 151 games 2004-2011

Cold Roses

Juniors
So Todd Payton has been signed as an assistant coach from next year. 2019. He is a highly regarded up and comer.

Stephen Kearney is signed with The Warriors until the end of 2019.

Wayne Bennet is signed with the Broncos until the end of 2019.

Kearney is a former Broncos assistant coach and his family currently still live in Brisbane.

The Broncos will be looking for a new head coach from 2020.

Possible?

JJ

Immortal
Anthony Griffin would have been good to have in the mix
I'd be very wary to be honest - he's not likely to be a completely innocent victim in all this - really depends on whether you want someone of that mould here - not sure the players would respond well

People have talked about Payton a lot - will be interesting, seems likely to be a good addition - he strikes me as a Phil Gould type player, he looked like he had an understanding of the game that was beyond what his ability could deliver (they were both good players, no mistake, but Gould's footy brain extended beyond that - Mario Fenech's book makes that very clear) - I haven't heard Patyon talk, but he played that way - skillful, etc

Of course as Meth pointed out, his stint at the Cowboys is correlated with a a worrying trend

sup42

Juniors
An Assistants ability can't be linked to the fates of a club, our own Stephen Kearney is proof of that.

Meth

Staff member
An Assistants ability can't be linked to the fates of a club, our own Stephen Kearney is proof of that.

Why not though?

I do understand that just because a guy is a good assistant coach, it doesn’t mean he will be a good head coach...but why does he get a pass if his team’s performance sucks?

Reactions: JJ

sup42

Juniors
Why not though?

I do understand that just because a guy is a good assistant coach, it doesn’t mean he will be a good head coach...but why does he get a pass if his team’s performance sucks?
Well how much of Melbournes success would fans fairly attribute to Stephen Kearney, David Kidwell, or Justin Morgan.

I just think that it's impossible to judge an assistant until they have their own team, all you can say is people hold them in high regard in that role who work with them, apart from that I pay no heed to how it looks from the outside.

Meth

Staff member
Well how much of Melbournes success would fans fairly attribute to Stephen Kearney, David Kidwell, or Justin Morgan.

I just think that it's impossible to judge an assistant until they have their own team, all you can say is people hold them in high regard in that role who work with them, apart from that I pay no heed to how it looks from the outside.

It's impossible to judge an assistant's ability as a head coach until he has his own team and, as you say, you can't attribute a lot of Melbourne's success to their assistants. And nobody does.

But we are talking about an assistant coach moving into a role as an assistant coach in another club- surely there's something more measurable to assess him by that his being held in 'high regard'? Although I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm only playing the devil's advocate here though

sup42

Juniors
It's impossible to judge an assistant's ability as a head coach until he has his own team and, as you say, you can't attribute a lot of Melbourne's success to their assistants. And nobody does.

But we are talking about an assistant coach moving into a role as an assistant coach in another club- surely there's something more measurable to assess him by that his being held in 'high regard'? Although I'm not sure exactly what it is.

I'm only playing the devil's advocate here though

* Edited post.

Sorry when I quote from my phone sometimes things go haywire.

Yeah I was playing Devils advocate too....I welcome different opinions, I'm mad about our sport so always looking to test ideas.

I mean of course I don't know if I'm right and on the face of it you would rather a Coach arrived fresh from a winning franchise rather than whats happening at the Cows.

Last edited:

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Whatever he's doing at the Cowboys really seems to be working.

Premiers, GF qualifier, GFist his first three years as assistant? Not suggesting at all that's one bit to do with him, but he's experienced significant success at clubs as an assistant and player. He's seen what it takes.

Is also a prop with 250+ games experience, and our propping stocks are where we require a lot of our improvement. So I like it. Liked him as a player too. Maybe next we could sign Jamie Lyon to teach our centres to pass and tackle.

spear tackle

Juniors
When I first heard this on the radio it came out like this "Todd Payton has signed with the Warriors" (long pause) "as an assistant coach". For second there I thought they were looking for veterans.

Big Marn

Juniors
When I first heard this on the radio it came out like this "Todd Payton has signed with the Warriors" (long pause) "as an assistant coach". For second there I thought they were looking for veterans.
might be some prop guru tips and tricks from old Todd that we could make use of. Always rated Todd as a player and has had some coaching success on his own. Not upset with this signing.

spear tackle

Juniors
might be some prop guru tips and tricks from old Todd that we could make use of. Always rated Todd as a player and has had some coaching success on his own. Not upset with this signing.
Me either, like you said if he can put a bit more into our front row its a plus for sure

Leber

Bench
If you critcise him for his failure at the cows then you need to give him praise for his success at the tigers.