What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin available?

Frank Facer

First Grade
Should we sign Griffin to take over from Mary? After reading how Griffin took over Penrith in a bad state and now has them going pretty well, he is starting to look like he has done a good job with Penrith. I never even would have entertained signing Griffin until he was sacked this week.

I believe that if we sack Mary, that we will be looking for a premiership winning coach. Bennett, Flanagan, Mcguire and Hasler are the ones that I think our club will be targeting. For some reason, I think we may end up with Mcguire.

I really think we need a new coach from outside our system, with some fresh and new ideas. We also need a coach, who can select the right players and drop players who are not performing. I think Griffin would be an upgrade on Mary, but I know that many on here will think that anyone would be an upgrade on Mary.

dannyt

Coach
Should we sign Griffin to take over from Mary? After reading how Griffin took over Penrith in a bad state and now has them going pretty well, he is starting to look like he has done a good job with Penrith. I never even would have entertained signing Griffin until he was sacked this week.

I believe that if we sack Mary, that we will be looking for a premiership winning coach. Bennett, Flanagan, Mcguire and Hasler are the ones that I think our club will be targeting. For some reason, I think we may end up with Mcguire.

I really think we need a new coach from outside our system, with some fresh and new ideas. We also need a coach, who can select the right players and drop players who are not performing. I think Griffin would be an upgrade on Mary, but I know that many on here will think that anyone would be an upgrade on Mary.
No sure about Griffin, but agree we need someone from outside.

The last 40 years of our history has shown that we don't do well with internal appointments.
  • Harry Bath played for us, but learned the coaching trade in the UK. Premiers 1977 and 1979.
  • Roy Masters was external. Should've won in either 1984 or 1985 (lost the GF), but for Kevin Roberts.
  • Craig Young was a club legend and captain of the 1979 team. His coaching record should never be mentioned.
  • Brian Smith, like Harry Bath, came back to us after stints with other teams. GFs in 1992 and 1993.
  • David Waite was external. Inherited a team ravaged by super league in 1996. Made the GF in 1996, but lost to Manly. Mason's definition of of "not held" didn't help. Made the GF as a JV with co-coach Farrar in 1999. All I can say about that game is "F@#$ you harrigan, BURN IN HELL".
  • Andrew Farrar was the last Illawarra coach. Certainly classed as an "external", but probably in the mary class of coaches. As a side note, can anyone name an ex-centre that became a good coach?
  • Nathan Brown- talk about the old boys club. Was playing with the squad he inherited only a few years before. Wasted years with the squad he had.
  • Wayne Bennett. The ultimate external signing who delivered 2 minor premierships and the first premiership in 31 years.
  • Price and mary- both internal, both useless.
Can you see a pattern? There's a saying that insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Since the 1980s, we have not made a GF with an internally appointed coach. F@#$ing insane.

Conversely, externally-appointed coaches have given us 8 GFs and 3 premierships since 1977. In fact, every externally-appointed coach since 1977 has led us to a GF (Farrar / Waite joint coaches in 1999).

So, why in f@#$s name would you appoint internally???

Edit- another quote. Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.

Last edited:

Frank Facer

First Grade

The last 40 years of our history has shown that we don't do well with internal appointments.
  • Harry Bath played for us, but learned the coaching trade in the UK. Premiers 1977 and 1979.
  • Roy Masters was external. Should've won in either 1984 or 1985 (lost the GF), but for Kevin Roberts.
  • Craig Young was a club legend and captain of the 1979 team. His coaching record should never be mentioned.
  • Brian Smith, like Harry Bath, came back to us after stints with other teams. GFs in 1992 and 1993.
  • David Waite was external. Inherited a team ravaged by super league in 1996. Made the GF in 1996, but lost to Manly. Mason's definition of of "not held" didn't help. Made the GF as a JV with co-coach Farrar in 1999. All I can say about that game is "F@#$ you harrigan, BURN IN HELL".
  • Andrew Farrar was the last Illawarra coach. Certainly classed as an "external", but probably in the mary class of coaches. As a side note, can anyone name an ex-centre that became a good coach?
  • Nathan Brown- talk about the old boys club. Was playing with the squad he inherited only a few years before. Wasted years with the squad he had.
  • Wayne Bennett. The ultimate external signing who delivered 2 minor premierships and the first premiership in 31 years.
Can you see a pattern? There's a saying that insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Since the 1980s, we have not made a GF with an internally appointed coach. F@#$ing insane.

Conversely, externally-appointed coaches have given us 8 GFs and 3 premierships since 1977. In fact, every externally-appointed coach since 1977 has led us to a GF (Farrar / Waite joint coaches in 1999).

Bellamy was an ex centre.

Meninga has coached QLD and Australia, but I still would not go as far as calling him a good coach.

I am having difficulty naming any other centers who have become successful coaches.

Last edited:

dannyt

Coach
Bellamy was an ex centre.

Meninga has coached QLD and Australia, but I still would go as far as calling him a good coach.

I am having difficulty naming any other centers who have become successful coaches.
Bellamy played in the centres, but also in other positions in the backline. More of a utility player.

Mal and mary exclusively played centre. Do we know how good a coach Mal is? I mean, super successful at rep level but the calibre of players at his disposal! Conversely, we know how bad mary is.

Warabrook saint

Juniors

Edit- another quote. Those who fail to learn from history are condemned to repeat it.
I don't think our board put a lot of thought into what might be best for the club

I am sure Griffin is very capable and certainly seems to support a youth policy but given a choice, I would still put Bennett (with a JD succession plan) and Flanagan at the top of the list.
I suppose it depends on the criteria.
If it's winning comps or re building.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Looks like we’ve signed him:
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/threads/griffen-sacked.471869/page-8#post-13085222

Life's Good

Coach
Our club first has to acknowledge Mary isn’t the coach for us. Surviving the 2016 car crash & early 2017(with a late fade) indicates the club is not thinking there is a coaching issue.
Dreams are free though(I wouldn’t take Griffin either, better candidates are available).

The Damo

Juniors
Griffins supposed work with juniors etc was him reaping the rewards of cleary’s work. It’d be a sideways move for mine, certainly not a significant upgrade. Maguire or Bennett are the best proven options possible.

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I am sure Griffin is very capable and certainly seems to support a youth policy but given a choice, I would still put Bennett (with a JD succession plan) and Flanagan at the top of the list.
I suppose it depends on the criteria.
If it's winning comps or re building.
MY SPIES tell me creepy will be Dousts last appointment trying for next year ............OD dreaming again

Latest posts