What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Win Buys stake in St George Illawarra

WepnutV

Juniors
There are signs that McGregor has been put on notice imo.
He's made some statements and his body language suggest the fact that there may have been some kpi's put in front of him that he would have to meet to warrant an extension. I don't think hes meeting them atm
haha.. "His body language SUGGESTS the FACT that there MAY have been some kpi blah blah what a load of tripe.. notice you used the word fact without using a fact.. Youv made up a bullshit story based on McGregor's body language at a press conference.. Propaganda

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
Have you got any costings on this idea? Apart from the construction cost, pumping water needs lots of power...

No, even though l am a builder and have 40 years knowledge of the construction industry, l have no costings but the govts are very good at throwing money away, at least this would be a worthy project.

Frank Facer

First Grade
Precisely...... why they haven’t built a pipeline to date is plain dumb.
They could appoint an overall project manager/ building company with an emphasis on the unemployed and local indigenous being heavily involved, along with the local communities as the project finds its way around the countryside.
I too have thought that we one way or another we/they should have built a pipleline to make sure that our farmers and people living in the rural areas have a water supply. It looks plain obvious to me. The first thing we should be doing as a country is shoring up our food supply and water supply. Why it isn't happening is probably because those who really run the show don't want it to.

possm

Coach
I would not buy Saints or any other sporting club, with the intention of running at a profit or making money from it. Very few sporting teams run at a profit. If one owns a sporting team they are the benefactor.

Saints Leagues club was the benefactor of our club when we merged. When they reduced their funding to us, we ended up in debt to the NRL.

I can't see how WIN corporation will make a profit off buying half of the Joint Venture. Buying sporting clubs isn't good business in my opinion. Buying sporting clubs would be hobby.

Souths make a profit.
  • We will have a new board and a new CEO, maybe we also will make a profit; I'm sure WIN do not want to just throw away 10m.
  • We have an extra 4m so a professional coach and upgraded training facilities are not out of the question.
  • We will now have people in charge who understand and value the TPA scheme and capable of introducing it to our club. That and a new coach will mean we will be competitive on the player market.
  • We made a profit when Bennett was coach so I say success on the field will mean success off the field providing good governance and good management are in place.

possm

Coach
I too have thought that we one way or another we/they should have built a pipleline to make sure that our farmers and people living in the rural areas have a water supply. It looks plain obvious to me. The first thing we should be doing as a country is shoring up our food supply and water supply. Why it isn't happening is probably because those who really run the show don't want it to.
In times of flood when major dams a full, water is released to rivers which makes the whole situation even worse. Why not have floodgates to the side banks that pipe excess water to holding areas such as disused quarries or dams located in areas that need this water. Money, pipelines, pumps and the concern for country regions is all it takes. Doesn't all have to happen at once but it has to happen. Give us a 10 year plan with realistic cost estimates and plug them into the Federal Budget. Find a way in which State and Local Governments, insurance companies and financial institutions can contribute to this project as surely they will save millions if not billions in costs if such a scheme is introduced.

BennyV

Referee
This isn’t a question of St George vs Illawarra. It’s not even a question of whether BJ is qualified for the role - overall it could have been a lot worse (but should have been a lot better). It’s a question of competent vs incompetent.

As with the Mary appointment, the process that has been undertaken stinks. There were dozens of candidates from all sorts of business backgrounds considered for the role. Yet WIN comes in and decides that the best person was a guy who (allegedly) didn’t express interest in it, and happened to be associated with the club AND already on the board? Which simply results in shuffling chairs in the board room. That doesn’t add up at all.

Then we look across the ‘new’ board of Directors - from the St George side we have Young, Black and Piggot, 3 incompetent old boys that were around while we accumulated the $6m debt that just had to be bought out. And while it’s being reported that WIN will be appointing Andrew Lancaster (former WIN CEO) and Craig Osborne (half decent CV) they still have A.Gordon chairing (forget not that he also has overseen the decline of this club from the BOD) and another no-name moron from the Steelers.

I’m not going to preach doom and gloom, but it’s definitely far from what could have been an amazing outcome for the club. I’ll wait and see what happens, but the whole thing seems very fishy.

Carlton

Juniors
Correct. The supporters, including everyone on here, don’t know what the deal entails.

But yet the default option on here is that it’s a terrible deal.

Steelers down to one board member.

By ‘nonsense’ I assume you’d include the drop in St George Leagues club funding being the key driver of our financial strife?

And 2 of the 3 rookie coaches being St George boys?

We’ve been a JV now for 20 seasons..

That’s longer than the Steelers were even around, and for 25% of the time the dragons were stand alone.

The factional stuff is more in the minds of legacy supporters than in reality.

This new deal is great news for the club.

Keep towing the party line Muzby.
Given the crap thats been dished up over the years and the misleading statements that have been made, of course there are people on here that dont blindly accept this is going to be good.

WIN are and have been Illawarra, Illawarras influence has not been reduced, you know this so why deciminate?

The whole process sounds suspect, a worldwide search for a CEO and then the person on the recruitment committee is appointed because WIN want him in the job. And I dont know what your selective history of the Dragons poor decisions is supposed to prove.

Last edited:
Tell me something?
According to last years financial statements, St George Leagues club tipped in $2.5 million to the St George Illawarra Football Club.

Now why should a Leagues Club, a completely different entity to the Football Club, continue to give a grant to an entity that is now 50% privately owned?

Surely the Gordon’s, said to be worths hundreds of millions, should be made to match the Leagues Clubs grant every year.

And just on the matter of profits, just one club, The Broncos returned a profit last year without the support of a Leagues Club.
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/15...-clubs-grassroots-after-posting-huge-surplus/

JamesRustle

First Grade
In times of flood when major dams a full, water is released to rivers which makes the whole situation even worse. Why not have floodgates to the side banks that pipe excess water to holding areas such as disused quarries or dams located in areas that need this water. Money, pipelines, pumps and the concern for country regions is all it takes. Doesn't all have to happen at once but it has to happen. Give us a 10 year plan with realistic cost estimates and plug them into the Federal Budget. Find a way in which State and Local Governments, insurance companies and financial institutions can contribute to this project as surely they will save millions if not billions in costs if such a scheme is introduced.
NRL should sponsor a 6km section with the $6m loan repayment to kick things off.

denis preston

First Grade
Our poor farmers need all the help they can get...........

drought.jpg

6340406-3x2-940x627.jpg

96183968.jpg
Why would you ever go into a business when you get droughts like this ?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Keep towing the party line Muzby.
Given the crap thats been dished up over the years and the misleading statements that have been made, of course there are people on here that dont blindly accept this is going to be good.

WIN are and have been Illawarra, Illawarras influence has not been reduced, you know this so why deciminate?

The whole process sounds suspect, a worldwide search for a CEO and then the person on the recruitment committee is appointed because WIN want him in the job. And I dont know what your selective history of the Dragons poor decisions is supposed to prove.
2rh5mvk.png

epDragon62

First Grade
I would not buy Saints or any other sporting club, with the intention of running at a profit or making money from it. Very few sporting teams run at a profit. If one owns a sporting team they are the benefactor.

Saints Leagues club was the benefactor of our club when we merged. When they reduced their funding to us, we ended up in debt to the NRL.

I can't see how WIN corporation will make a profit off buying half of the Joint Venture. Buying sporting clubs isn't good business in my opinion. Buying sporting clubs would be hobby.
Agree with you FF but no one would want to buy a sporting club that just bleeds money and isn't managed to minimise or eliminate the need for handouts.

I think rigour is likely to be imposed.

Note also that WIN is cutting costs in their business - that is the sort of mindset we need.

Wanting this to end up being good news; a discontinuity in what was happening should at least create an environment for positive change to be possible...

Last edited:

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade

....... and to throw petrol on the fire, we allow foreign takeovers to rape our countryside.
Now Packers old cow pastures and meatworks is about to go foreign.
Send the good meat overseas and sell the leftovers at premium prices here.
You blooody beauty bonza mate!

SaintPauli

Juniors
Our next priorities looking forward
- best method of TPAs
Surley Mr Win has a few avenues.
Hopefully he is from a similar school of uncle Nick.

- centre of excellence. Where a while back we apparently refused a grant from NRL towards a centre but our CEO said he had another avenue which would deliver a bigger & better result?
Here's to you New Dragons board?

Forward and Upwards. D4L