What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Joey or Thurston, who is GOAT?

mongoose

Coach
Wally, Freddy, Kenny and especially Langer were much better than both.

Langer lol - people criticise Johns for being shifted in origin to accommodate noddy and toovey. Langer got replaced by Stuart twice on kangaroo tours.

Stuart also has the upper hand in Origin from 1990 - 1994 against Langer.

Langer also played in club sides the salary cap would never allow today. Didn't the Broncos win a premiership the year after he left as well?

Stuart lol - the guy who despite playing on obviously stronger SOO teams was the backup / understudy to Langer for 5 years? The same Stuart that won a grand final playing for a team that exceeded the salary cap? The same Stuart that was overlooked for the SL tests for young, less rated halves despite his club halves partner being 5/8 and captain?

It always upsets me when fellow NSWelshman either buy into media hype (Johns) or blind, pure hatred (QLD / Langer) and make silly, misinformed and just flat out incorrect statements just to back up a silly opinion.

The whole Johns thing has really gotten out of hand. I get it, the ARL couldn't suspend their face of the game because of his (alleged) PED use, but to take it as far as ramming him down our throats as the GOAT when his resume (and character) is of much lower quality than the players I've already mention is just flat out annoying.

King hit

Coach
Langer lol - people criticise Johns for being shifted in origin to accommodate noddy and toovey. Langer got replaced by Stuart twice on kangaroo tours.

Stuart also has the upper hand in Origin from 1990 - 1994 against Langer.

Langer also played in club sides the salary cap would never allow today. Didn't the Broncos win a premiership the year after he left as well?

It’s always amusing how Queenslanders never own up to how Stuart won 4 of the 5 series against Langer and saved our ass in England when he took Langer’s spot. Johns also whitewashed Langer and had a winning record in Origin against him.

Langer is a great but it’s wrong to say he was without peer.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Johns is the greatest player I've seen play the game.

Although a mere speed bump in defence, Thurston was a good player, so was Sterling. Stuart, Langer, Fittler Lockyer etc.

gUt

Coach
Locky was the best in the world at 2 spine positions.

Johns just about scrapes into the top 10 of all time, Stuart just about scrapes the dogshit off Langer's studs.

King hit

Coach
Someone who I feel should be brought up when discussing future immortals is the one and only Brad Fittler

A total prodigy who could play 3 positions and dominate games in each of the,. First grade debut at 17 and became the youngest Origin player at 18 and was a Kangaroo at the same age. Most capped NSW player and 38 tests for Australia and would’ve played more if he didn’t step down till he came back in 2004. One of the most successful captains off all time with outstanding leadership at all levels.

Possessed a wicked sidestep, ran hard like a tank with the ability to plough through the toughest of men. A deadly passing and kicking game that could lay tries on from anywhere on the park. Strong tackling and inspiring play that wore on his teammates making him one of the finest leaders of teams I’ve seen.

wibble

Bench
Thurston isn't even the greatest player currently, let alone of all time. Not to say he isn't a great player, and hasn't done a lot for the game, because he is great, and has done a lot.

For a guy who is regarded as a great competitor, he drifted out of a lot of club games for much of his career.

He had a window of 2 -3 years prior to 2015 when he was probably as good as anyone in the game, but Smith and Slater were as good at the time, and better and more consistent over a longer period.

So overall, Slater and Smith are both better players than Thurston.

Johns and Fitter were both better than Thurston with more complete games, and Lockyer was as well as he was at the top for longer.

Thurston is on par with Sterling, Langer, and Stuart, and a bit below Lewis.

Like these, he was one of the best halves of his era, so he stands out as great halves do.

It is rarer for other positions to stand out, which makes the careers of Slater, Smith, Fittler, and to some extend Lockyer, Lazarus, and Clyde more remarkable, in my opinion.

Still, all these guys are better than our latest immortal, who was handy, but about the 5th best player in his team, and a fair chunk below Rogers and Renouf in his position...

Bazal

Post Whore
Thurston isn't even the greatest player currently, let alone of all time. Not to say he isn't a great player, and hasn't done a lot for the game, because he is great, and has done a lot.

For a guy who is regarded as a great competitor, he drifted out of a lot of club games for much of his career.

He had a window of 2 -3 years prior to 2015 when he was probably as good as anyone in the game, but Smith and Slater were as good at the time, and better and more consistent over a longer period.

So overall, Slater and Smith are both better players than Thurston.

Smith and Slater never had to single-handedly carry the side, like Thurston did early on. They had an illegally assembled roster around them to pick up the slack for much of their careers.

Both are undoubtedly greats, don't get me wrong, but I don't think it's relevant to compare them to Thurston without also comparing the players around them.

Saintsified

Bench
Someone who I feel should be brought up when discussing future immortals is the one and only Brad Fittler

A total prodigy who could play 3 positions and dominate games in each of the,. First grade debut at 17 and became the youngest Origin player at 18 and was a Kangaroo at the same age. Most capped NSW player and 38 tests for Australia and would’ve played more if he didn’t step down till he came back in 2004. One of the most successful captains off all time with outstanding leadership at all levels.

Possessed a wicked sidestep, ran hard like a tank with the ability to plough through the toughest of men. A deadly passing and kicking game that could lay tries on from anywhere on the park. Strong tackling and inspiring play that wore on his teammates making him one of the finest leaders of teams I’ve seen.
You just wrote a book about Laurie Daley, who was the best player at Raiders whilst the immortal Meninga was playing.

Desert Qlder

First Grade

You quote all the stats but you never really saw him play did you?