What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL got it wrong

kbw

Bench
Why am I surprised.
This weekend should be Warriors v Brisbane and Roosters v St George.

this way week 3 is still live. But unfortunately if Warriors (v St George) and Brisbane (v Roosters) both win then week 3 will not effect the GF teams and Warriors and Brisbane will play each other twice in 2 weeks.

Hopefully St George or Roosters can win this coming weekend keep the comp open

Billythekid

First Grade
But if you swap it around the results were different wouldn't the same thing happen? Maybe I'm missing something.

I do think the NRL dropped the ball with this comp right from only having 4 teams but that doesn't seem like the end of the world.

Personally I'm just hoping we build on this next year. IMO this comp desperately needs a team from Newcastle. It's the home of RL and the women's game is very strong in the hunter.

kbw

Bench
I think they should have played the two winners and the two losers in the second week to keep things alive and more interest in week 3

I think the comp will expand, I am just not sure when. There are great players coming through but not enough yet to keep the game at the elite level

TheFrog

Coach
Personally I'm just hoping we build on this next year. IMO this comp desperately needs a team from Newcastle. It's the home of RL and the women's game is very strong in the hunter.
Cronulla wanted in as well, and there's little doubt Panthers could support a team. Expecting this to expand quickly.

Billythekid

First Grade
Cronulla wanted in as well, and there's little doubt Panthers could support a team. Expecting this to expand quickly.

I can see why they were conservative but this comp can quickly expand beyond 4 teams. I'm not expecting a full 16 team comp but 6-8 teams is more than reasonable in the very near future.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
So the NRL got it wrong based on results that are yet to occur? :joy: come on

kbw

Bench
So the NRL got it wrong based on results that are yet to occur? :joy: come on

They don't determine who plays who, when or where until the Sunday night after the next week of the NRL semis are finalised so it is quite valid.

kbw

Bench

Cronulla would not spend any money so until they realise that it costs to run a WNRL team they will not be granted a license same with Souths.

Clubs like Penrith, Parra and Newcastle were all interested but opted to wait and see how it panned out before forking out the $s. I doubt it will expand in the next 2 years as there is not enough elite players to keep the comp at the level it needs to be.
I do hope that the end result is the development of womens RL means the number of elite players increases quickly

Timmah

Staff member
I'm not following what you mean.

What did they get wrong? They have six games to schedule and want to match them as closely as possible to NRL matches.

T-Boon

Coach
I would bring in new clubs before clubs that put in crap bids or no bid at all. Those clubs turned their back on the competition when they were needed and should basically be made to beg to enter when they realise the clubs with a womens team are getting better corporate results. Not one western sydney team could bother putting in a bid. So cut them out bring in Western Sydney Bangles or something.

Timmah

Staff member
LOL still beating this drum. Rack off to the Cave

siv

First Grade
Cronulla would not spend any money so until they realise that it costs to run a WNRL team they will not be granted a license same with Souths.

Clubs like Penrith, Parra and Newcastle were all interested but opted to wait and see how it panned out before forking out the $s. I doubt it will expand in the next 2 years as there is not enough elite players to keep the comp at the level it needs to be.
I do hope that the end result is the development of womens RL means the number of elite players increases quickly

I think you got it wrong

Cronulla and Souths requested a W-NRL grant from the NRL

Timmah

Staff member
You've got nothing because you know what I say is true. So you resort to child like attacks on me. Which is the flavour of defeat.
No, it's ridiculous pie in the sky rubbish. They won't create a random non-existent club because one person on LU forums thinks the Western Sydney based clubs don't deserve one.

Timmah

Staff member
I think you got it wrong

So he actually got it right, because neither club was willing to finance it themselves? Righto.

T-Boon

Coach
No, it's ridiculous pie in the sky rubbish. They won't create a random non-existent club because one person on LU forums thinks the Western Sydney based clubs don't deserve one.

One Western Sydney WNRL team that all fans can support makes a lot of sense. There aren't enough players to have all of the Western Sydney teams in and none of them actually want in.
What, are we really going to have 9 WNRL teams in Sydney? That is the stupidest idea ever, when you consider everyone thinks 9 is too many mens teams.

kbw

Bench
I think you got it wrong

We actually both clubs put in a proposal to get a license for the WNRL. Those clubs successful and obtained a license were provided a grant, $50K if memory serves me from the NRL, towards funding their WNRL teams.

Maybe those teams requested several 100s of thousands from the NRL to fund their proposed teams. The 4 successful teams were happy to fund most of it themselves and that is one of the reasons they ere successful over Souths and Cronulla

kbw

Bench
I'm not following what you mean.

What did they get wrong? They have six games to schedule and want to match them as closely as possible to NRL matches.

Thinking about it, matching is probably more important and it still could possibly be a very open competition after this weekend.

Latest posts