What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Ridiculous reason to not attend a game because you think they will lose, these are the best games to go to. My brother still talks about the 05 final Tigers v Broncos, he wasn't going to go because the thought was the Tigers were no chance. He decided to go last minute and he still rates it as one of the best days at the footy ever, purely because we weren't meant to win and the excitement of actually pumping them.

mongoose

Coach
that right there is the biggest problem with rugby league fans. The culture is you go watch your team only to see them win. The NRL should be trying to attract neutrals to games like this, offer deals to members of other clubs. If there's a chance of a 60k crowd why wouldn't you want to go as a neutral?

AJB1102

First Grade
I think this is where everyone is heading but the NFL stadiums have the issue that at least 75% of attendees are drinking their own beer and cooking their own food as they tailgate outside and only come inside 5 minutes before kickoff. So to them, these deals and reduced prices are trying to convince fans to come inside earlier.

The cops would shut down the grand final if 100 people gathered for a BYO beer & sausage sizzle in the ANZ car park.

phonetic

Juniors
I'm going to the game, but it definitely doesn't come with the usual anticipation of a second week semi. The fact it's going to be a big atmosphere against a traditional rival got me over the line. And of course, if a miracle unfolds I'll be there next week too.

There's definite apathy from other saints fans though and I completely understand it. The recent debacle against Canterbury where they completely gave up (with so much to play for that day) is fresh in mind for many.

Suitman

Post Whore
I'm going to the game, but it definitely doesn't come with the usual anticipation of a second week semi. The fact it's going to be a big atmosphere against a traditional rival got me over the line. And of course, if a miracle unfolds I'll be there next week too.

There's definite apathy from other saints fans though and I completely understand it. The recent debacle against Canterbury where they completely gave up (with so much to play for that day) is fresh in mind for many.

I would have thought that last week's thrashing of the Broncos would be fresher in their minds.

Yosemite Sam

Juniors
Level 6 East is selling for Saturday night so looks on track for 50K. Level 4 is almost gone so just depends how many GA tickets have been sold.

juro

Bench
Up to 50,000 expected: NRL defends holding prelim at Allianz Stadium

NRL boss Todd Greenberg has defended the game's decision to hold next week's preliminary final at Allianz Stadium, predicting the game would only draw a crowd of up to 50,000.

League central has already begun selling tickets to the final-four clash at Moore Park, where the Sydney Roosters will meet either South Sydney or St George Illawarra.

Greenberg confirmed that, under the NRL finals policy, the location of the grand final qualifier is at the behest of the governing body and that they wanted to reward the minor premiers.

"The discretion is for us to play it at the right stadium. We think we're playing in the right stadium," Greenberg said.

"If we put a house-full sign up, that's a good thing for the game.

"We think, in a forecast number, that looks maybe somewhere between 40,000-50,000 crowd.

"And that's why we're playing at Allianz."

The decision could be considered in contrast to their policy for week one of the finals, where suburban grounds are snubbed in favour of major venues in the host city.

The annual Anzac Day clash between the Roosters and Dragons has attracted in excess of 34,000 people each year since 2011, and hit a record 41,152 figure in 2018.

The Roosters met the Rabbitohs in a preliminary final at ANZ Stadium at Homebush just four years ago, which drew a crowd of 52,592.

They also had 59,708 people at the final regular season game the previous year that decided the minor premiership.

The capacity at Allianz Stadium is 45,500 and Greenberg believes the NRL would be criticised no matter which way they went.

"If we get 45,000 and we play it at ANZ, I know there'll be criticism: 'Why aren't we playing it at Allianz?' If there's 55,000, there'll be criticism saying, 'You could've got more'," Greenberg said.

"The reality is we have to make a decision now because it's two weeks away.

"People can judge us afterwards. We've already got the game on sale."

Greenberg said the NRL hadn't given up hope of opening next season in the United States but were already looking at alternative venues to launch round one.

"We need it to be commercially attractive for us to do that, so that means securing funding, whether it's through tourism or travel partners," he said.

"That's been problematic, it's been difficult for us to do. We're still working on it.

"If it doesn't happen this year, we'll continue planning it for future years."

AAP
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/up...relim-at-allianz-stadium-20180912-p503c8.html

guyver78

Juniors

I think the Dragons are a lot better chance of beating Souths this week then what you're making out. I'm a Souths supporter and not really that confident at all. The game against the Storm took the life out of us.

As the teams went into half time i thought surely the intensity has to drop off a little for the sake of both teams but it never happened. 10 minutes into the second half I said to my mate, this game is still a 50/50 chance of going to either team but one thing I know for certain is that the loser probably isn't winning the grand final.

cleary89

Coach
Every school just got emailed with a link for 4 free tickets for saturday night game. Some schools send to all teachers, some put it on facebook.

Im at work so cant check, but hopefully is all level 6. Lidcombe public school put it up on their facebook page if anyone wants to check/wants free tickets.

malleekid

Juniors
Every school just got emailed with a link for 4 free tickets for saturday night game. Some schools send to all teachers, some put it on facebook.

Im at work so cant check, but hopefully is all level 6. Lidcombe public school put it up on their facebook page if anyone wants to check/wants free tickets.
Limited to 2000 transactions (max 8000 ticket) Would be interesting to see the figures that these get used.

Up to 50,000 expected: NRL defends holding prelim at Allianz Stadium

NRL boss Todd Greenberg has defended the game's decision to hold next week's preliminary final at Allianz Stadium, predicting the game would only draw a crowd of up to 50,000.

League central has already begun selling tickets to the final-four clash at Moore Park, where the Sydney Roosters will meet either South Sydney or St George Illawarra.

Greenberg confirmed that, under the NRL finals policy, the location of the grand final qualifier is at the behest of the governing body and that they wanted to reward the minor premiers.

"The discretion is for us to play it at the right stadium. We think we're playing in the right stadium," Greenberg said.

"If we put a house-full sign up, that's a good thing for the game.

"We think, in a forecast number, that looks maybe somewhere between 40,000-50,000 crowd.

"And that's why we're playing at Allianz."

The decision could be considered in contrast to their policy for week one of the finals, where suburban grounds are snubbed in favour of major venues in the host city.

The annual Anzac Day clash between the Roosters and Dragons has attracted in excess of 34,000 people each year since 2011, and hit a record 41,152 figure in 2018.

The Roosters met the Rabbitohs in a preliminary final at ANZ Stadium at Homebush just four years ago, which drew a crowd of 52,592.

They also had 59,708 people at the final regular season game the previous year that decided the minor premiership.

The capacity at Allianz Stadium is 45,500 and Greenberg believes the NRL would be criticised no matter which way they went.

"If we get 45,000 and we play it at ANZ, I know there'll be criticism: 'Why aren't we playing it at Allianz?' If there's 55,000, there'll be criticism saying, 'You could've got more'," Greenberg said.

"The reality is we have to make a decision now because it's two weeks away.

"People can judge us afterwards. We've already got the game on sale."

Greenberg said the NRL hadn't given up hope of opening next season in the United States but were already looking at alternative venues to launch round one.

"We need it to be commercially attractive for us to do that, so that means securing funding, whether it's through tourism or travel partners," he said.

"That's been problematic, it's been difficult for us to do. We're still working on it.

"If it doesn't happen this year, we'll continue planning it for future years."

AAP
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/up...relim-at-allianz-stadium-20180912-p503c8.html

I dont mind this at all. Will guarantee 2 x full stadiums at the SFS and Melbourne that week for the GF Qualifiers.

I remember there was an uproar in 2005 where the Dragons got into the preliminary final at SFS first with the Tigers in the week after and it should be moved to Homebush. But there were a great proportion of tigers fans there - and without doubt the best atmosphere I've ever experienced - even better than the same two teams in 2010 at Homebush with 70-odd thousand.

guyver78

Juniors
Yes. Just follow the link and say you know a school.

That's pretty good although they are just general admission tickets. I'd still rather pay $$$ and get Category 1 tickets for a game such as this one.

And yeah as someone said it is only 8000 tickets.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I dont mind this at all. Will guarantee 2 x full stadiums at the SFS and Melbourne that week for the GF Qualifiers.

I remember there was an uproar in 2005 where the Dragons got into the preliminary final at SFS first with the Tigers in the week after and it should be moved to Homebush. But there were a great proportion of tigers fans there - and without doubt the best atmosphere I've ever experienced - even better than the same two teams in 2010 at Homebush with 70-odd thousand.
Still remember this game, you could barely hear anything over the crowd noise. The stadium almost exploded when Benji scored in the first couple of minutes. This had more atmosphere than the grand final.