What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Finals Week 2 vs Souths

nontime111

Juniors
we kicked their sorry arse earlier on and WILL do so again!
If they go into it with half the attitude and can do have fun positive free flowing fearless way they did against the Nags well be 30 nil by halftime!

GO DRAGONS!!!!!!!

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
Souths are rattled under the blanket of expectation now.
Reynolds
GI all playing busted plus the Burgess boys making plenty of handling errors...just need to do 2 things and game is over.
Rush Reynolds
Rush Walker so he doesnt feed ball out the back to GI, Johnston and its all over...
I would have Mann rushing Walker and Sims smashing Reynolds all night...as long as JDB can play 50-60 minutes and the back row has the intensity of the 1st half,,we could do a similar job on them and put points on them early...

Your post ignores the biggest threat.

Cook.

He was the difference in the Charity Shield and the loss suffered at ANZ Stadium earlier in the season.

Stop him from having any real influence, and the Dragons win.

It’s that simple.

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I'll be surprised if he doesn't slot Aitken straight back into the number 3 Jersey. Only thing that may save Lomax is he is a goal kicker.

There’s another vital element why Lomax MUST play.

Kicking from halfway.

Lomax gets the ball into the opposition’s in-goal area frequently. Comparatively, Widdop (when available) kicks the ball far too short meaning the opposition quite often takes their first hit up well outside the 20 metre area. Although this sounds basic, it can mean a lot when you’re up against a physical forward pack such as South Sydney.

ALSGI

Bench

Kicking from halfway.

Lomax gets the ball into the opposition’s in-goal area frequently. Comparatively, Widdop (when available) kicks the ball far too short meaning the opposition quite often takes their first hit up well outside the 20 metre area. Although this sounds basic, it can mean a lot when you’re up against a physical forward pack such as South Sydney.
Agree however I did notice in the few drop kicks he’s taken they were quiet short compared to Widdop. Still, he’s only 18 and seems to have a great boot.

LINESPEED

Juniors

Kicking from halfway.

Aitken’s proving to be a hard barnacle to shift, but it’s a nobrainer. Mary’s credibility’s on the line with this selection ‘dilemma’

With Aitken we lose the game - with Mary reverting to selecting out-of-form favourites

Interesting that Hooper thought Field was a chance - and he was on the bench 2 weeks ago.

I’d pick Host over Sele too.

Fox stats show that if we kick a goal first up we don’t lose!
Go for it Zac!!

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Mary will not let them
Play care free this week. He will want them to play tight and disciplined. In a recent article, he highlights possession as the key to Saints success and consequently his players will be drilled on holding the ball and not giving Souths cheap possession and field position. In my opinion, this strategy will not see Saints playing a carefree or expensive style unless they are in Souths 30m zone.

Unless we are well in front like the game against Broncos last week. I am really looking forward to see Lomax perform against Inglis. His and Leilua's combo with Dufty will again prove very handy in this game.

LINESPEED

Juniors
Please be Reynolds and Cook, please be Reynolds sand Cook.

Go smash Cook first up Tariq - then Reynolds & we’re done & dusted

JDB there’s a target on GI’s ribs just for you

And nothing could justify Aitken’s selection -
FMD he was well out of form even before he got injured

Last edited:

WoyD4LWoy

Juniors
NRL 2018: Rabbitohs investigating alleged lewd video chat involving several high profile players
ad6fe35029b754332bac878346de3c37

Rabbitohs players have been involved in an alleged lewd video chat.
SOUTH Sydney are investigating claims that several high profile players exposed themselves to a young woman without her consent during a video chat earlier this year.

possm

Coach
Your post ignores the biggest threat.

Cook.

He was the difference in the Charity Shield and the loss suffered at ANZ Stadium earlier in the season.

Stop him from having any real influence, and the Dragons win.

It’s that simple.

Most of Cook's breaks are made through the middle third. So it will be up to the likes of McInnes and De Belin to shut him down because our props will be fully occupied with shuting down the Burgess boys.

Also, McInnes should also dart through the middle in the same way that Cook does. Easy metres to be gained there as Souths will be concentrating on our edge forwards who were very dangerous against the Broncos last week.

getsmarty

Immortal
duftym-18031541.jpg

DRAGONS

Dufty says Graham was right to chip him
Author
Margie McDonald Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 13 Sep 2018, 02:01 PM

It was the wrong time and place and Matt Dufty now knows that.

He says front-rower James Graham was right to tear strips off him for enjoying a laugh with teammate Nene Macdonald in the spa after the last home game of the season. After all, the Dragons had just been thumped 38-0 at Jubilee Oval by the Bulldogs.

The dust-up between Dufty and Graham attracted a few headlines and the young fullback is big enough to take ownership of what happened.

"Everyone wrote a few things that I was on my phone and whatever," he told NRL.com.

"But that's not the case. I was sitting in the spa after the game – a good hour after the game – and me and Nene were the last ones in the sheds. Nene told me a joke and I laughed.

"It was the wrong time and wrong place. James walked out of the toilets, and obviously he wasn't happy. No one was happy after a performance like that.

Rabbitohs v Dragons - Semi-Final

"It was ill-timed for me to laugh. Jammer (Graham) is a senior player and if he's got something to stay, it's coming from a good place," Dufty said.

"If anyone knows me and James, we're best friends, even if we fight about little things like who's buying the coffee, but there's a lot of respect."

Dufty denied there was any team disharmony, or a fractured relationship between him and Graham, over the incident.

Kurt's the Mann to replace Widdop

"There was no right and wrong what he or I did. We were on the phone together that night and we had breakfast the next day together.

"Things happen in team environments. But we're all mates. [That argument] was nothing that affected the team because we went out and got two wins in a row."

The Dragons scored 24 points against Newcastle (round 25) and 48 against the Broncos (elimination final) to earn the right to play South Sydney on Saturday night at ANZ Stadium in the knock-out semi-final.

Dufty said the Dragons were confident Graham, who suffered a concussion in the Broncos win, will play.

"If anyone knows James, he's going to be the angriest guy in the world if he can't play," Dufty said.

"It's not the first head knock he's had and it won't be the last. But I think he's OK. He's been talking and looking alright during the week.

nrl2018_finals-bracket-week-2_1650x1080.jpg

"Jammer is a great leader and especially with Gaz (skipper Gareth Widdop, shoulder) gone, we need him.

"Some of the boys were feeling a little nervous before the Broncos game. But Jammer gave us a pep talk and what he said as inspiring and got us ready.

"He told us he came to the Dragons to win a premiership. His words put us at ease that he would do anything for us.

"He's one of the toughest players going around. And we love him."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2018/09/14/dufty-says-graham-was-right-to-chip-him/

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Now before I get shot down, I am very proud and surprised that we got to this game after such a capitulation over 2 months. However rest assured, Souths will be up for this big time.

Listening to Seibold on the radio today talking us up, watching some of the press starting to back us, one would think that one game has suddenly changed the whole dynamic of the finals series. Therein lies the danger. I really dislike all the hype, all the press from players, etc etc ... Keep it low key and humble. Like Graham did last week, where he basically told people to go put $$$ on Brisbane.

Im not saying we cant jag another win, but comments from Mary in the post game presser , i.e " are we now the form team of the comp", and players talking the team up etc could backfire. Im not saying they should be banned from comments, but it seems we are falling into a trap here. Damien Cook was very generous of his assessment of our chances. Suddenly, Mitchell Pearce thinks we are a good shot, as does Matty Elliot.

Its 48 hours from game day, and we seem to be the talk of the town.

I would much prefer that the media, other team players, pundits, all back the Bunnies, and our team remain very low key.

Of course there talking it up the papers ect.
The two most famous clubs in the nrl.
A all sydney final.
Why not.
If we lose it want be because a few people are talking us up.
Re the players the clubs have to send them to the pressers ect as its nrl rules.
I know we will be right.