What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aaron Finch - How many test runs will he accumulate?

TheParraboy

Staff member
Right

We all know by now he has been chosen to tour the UAE

Can see him playing those 2 tests, and possible all home tests v India

Pending form, injuries to other players etc...who knows could play another 10-20 tests from there

How many test runs will he finish on?

Im saying
Ave 39.06

Last edited:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he will be a dud.

Doesn't have the patience to bat for long periods for mine.

Timbo

Staff member
Finch either has a glut of runs or f**k all.

I'm going the f**k all, 200 runs in 10 innings before TBNG brings Bancroft back in.

It strikes me that this could be a ploy from SuperCoach to make sure the way is clear for Bancroft to come back as soon as he's available.

Can't risk Burns doing a good job and not having a slot for his mate from Perth.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
I do hope for Finch's sake, Langer doesn't try to reinvent Finch as a batsman. For this to be a remote success, Finch has to play shots and get his SR up and not try and be the new Geoff Boycott. It doesn't matter if he scores 50 runs in the first hour, or at the drinks break of the afternoon session, as long as he scores runs.

But Finch batting tests in England or Safrica would be comical. His concrete feet look horrid vs the spinners in the IPL, but he so often makes a score by slapping the ball around to show that spin isn't a massive hurdle for him like it is for Guptil.

In some ways, Finch is very similar to Guptil. Guptill's huge folly in tests was looking to bat time, instead of dominating the bowler. This is what Finch should do in tests. Just bash it like Sehwag.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The scary thing is, if Finch fails as opener, JL might try him for a few tests in the lower order and drop someone who was performing better than Finch

ANTiLAG

First Grade
The scary thing is, if Finch fails as opener, JL might try him for a few tests in the lower order and drop someone who was performing better than Finch

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...g/news-story/9989cc732e9773fbda84b3ec9dfac2b8

Captain determines batting order, right? Hohns and the selectors pick the team. Lehmann had very little say over selection. Is JL getting much more sway?

In NZ, Hesson the coach was the head selector (with the remaining selector identifying domestic talent), and determined almost everything incl batting order. It worked because he was very good at his job. On the field KW is now in control but I suspect Hess was relaying instruction to both him and BMac for quite some time.

For England, Ed Smith seems to be in charge of selection and the coach has little sway. Like Lehmann. That's okay because they know their roles. Ed Smith seems to be in charge of the batting order, but Root found someone else to bat 3 and it worked out okay. On the field Root is in control. Morgan very much is in their ODI team. In fact, Morgan has some sway over selection.

But for Australia, both Langer and Hohns seem to both think they're running the show. This could end badly. I'm not even certain that Paine will be in control on the field. A captain does not need to be in control on the field. Dhoni runs India with Kohli in the outfield. Kohli is basically the selector with Dhoni the captain. Shastri just gives media conferences and says yes to Virat. Obviously Virat captains the test side. Sanga and Jaya used to run SL when Mathews was captain.

People have to know the limits to their roles or there will be problems.

Last edited:

TheParraboy

Staff member
https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sp...g/news-story/9989cc732e9773fbda84b3ec9dfac2b8

Captain determines batting order, right? Hohns and the selectors pick the team. Lehmann had very little say over selection. Is JL getting much more sway?

Well, looks like he has a big say in squad /team selection, doesn’t surprise me in the least he will decide the batting order, or at very least will strongly make suggestions what it should be.

Looks like he wants yes people in his side. I think maybe Starc or hazelwood may have a conflict with him as they don’t come across as taking any nonsense.

Not confident Warner makes it back unless he scores a ton every 2nd innings. Smith should be back on necessity and save JLs bacon in some games.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think he’s turned a corner and will be pretty successful. What can I say I like the bloke he reminds me of myself fat, lazy and no footwork. All the makings of a successful test bat.

Until the word ‘fat’ I thought you were talking about JL :flushed:

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Well, looks like he has a big say in squad /team selection, doesn’t surprise me in the least he will decide the batting order, or at very least will strongly make suggestions what it should be.

Looks like he wants yes people in his side. I think maybe Starc or hazelwood may have a conflict with him as they don’t come across as taking any nonsense.

Not confident Warner makes it back unless he scores a ton every 2nd innings. Smith should be back on necessity and save JLs bacon in some games.

If Warner is the best opening bat, he will return without JL impeding. JL wants century makers - and Warner is that.JL wants results. He may chime the 'good bloke' thing all he likes, but he still wants the team to sledge. What he doesn't want is Australia being humiliated, on or off the field.

But JL is not a strategist, he is a man manager. So the new ideas have to trickle down from the remaining selectors. JL I imagine is very good at getting players to execute someone else's strategy.

But I don't see how a coach who isn't the head selector, gets to determine selection without this ending badly for someone. Either make Langer the head selector or don't. Set the limits to the role so people know what their job is. If JL isn't selecting the players, why expose him to the media to explain the selections? He has to justify what isn't his decision. It is ridiculous. Hohns (and G Chappell) if calling the shots is the one who needs to explain. Langer is unable to read a batting spreadsheet and double counts intl hundreds. He doesn't need that scrutiny if its not him making the decisions.

Paine is too novice to seriously have any sway over the team composition. Starc would be in a stronger position to make demands of the selectors. I think the remaining selectors are possibly hiding behind JL at the moment. Whereas Lehmann let everyone know during his tenure it was Smith and the selectors ruling - hence Rod Marsh had to go when he did.

This could be a very long summer for Australian cricket, I think the selectors need to explain who is determining what and be accountable to the Aussie fans, instead of leaving JL to be hung out to dry if it goes pear shaped.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-16/rod-marsh-resigns-as-chairman-of-selectors/8031170

It seems Ed Cowan is the only person closely involved with Australian Cricket prepared to really hold the selectors accountable.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...ustin-langer-handed-sweeping-selection-powers

And now the candid window into the selectors via Mark Waugh's media gigs has also been removed with his retirement as a selector.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
TPB said:

Shit, I'm hoping he starts at six. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a vain hope, but still. Mentally I think it'll suit him more.

Finch will get runs on flat tracks if he pulls his head in, and potentially in the UAE even against spin, which he actually plays reasonably.

His problem is temperament and footwork. He has lead feet and he wants to smack everything outside off. It's actually a bit of a myth that he struggles against swing, truthfully he just struggles with everything outside the off stump whether it swings or not. Lead feet, throw the hands at it, you'll eventually nick one regardless of ball movement.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Shit, I'm hoping he starts at six. I mean, I'm pretty sure it's a vain hope, but still. Mentally I think it'll suit him more.

Finch will get runs on flat tracks if he pulls his head in, and potentially in the UAE even against spin, which he actually plays reasonably.

His problem is temperament and footwork. He has lead feet and he wants to smack everything outside off. It's actually a bit of a myth that he struggles against swing, truthfully he just struggles with everything outside the off stump whether it swings or not. Lead feet, throw the hands at it, you'll eventually nick one regardless of ball movement.
Lol. Maybe you're right. But spinners are far less of a concern for Finch than swing or seam. That I'm sure of.