What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 Crowd Watch

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
One game at MCG got 70,000. A Sellout??

Pffft. Good crowd no doubt but dont try and make the NRL look bad by calling it a sell out.

If thats the close the Souths game was close a sellout.

Typical media with their negative press.
Saturday's game only got 72k, but I'm fairly sure the Friday game sold out along with two others the previous weekend, all of which got 90-91k.

The 48k at ANZ on Saturday was fantastic - I'm really disappointed there's been very little in the media celebrating the fact it nearly cracked 50k and will be the highest finals crowd outside the GF.

Cockosh

Juniors
I cannot believe they gave those pricks more Category 1 bays for this game at Allianz on Saturday.

I know it's their home game but they don't have even half the supporters that we have.

General public will just have to start buying out their bays. I have a feeling it'll be a Red & Green majority stadium on Saturday night.
Even if it’s not you can just say it is. Good to see you didn’t come last for home crowds again.

taipan

Referee
And if the TV grant was $10mill but your fanbase was three times the size? You'd be much better off than you are now! Losing Thursday night and Fri night isnt going to drop the TV grant hugely, by some yes, but that some should be more than made up for if we could double our triple our fanbase.

Like we keep saying bigger TV deals are better for NRLHQ, bigger fanbases are better for clubs. Somehow we need to find a better balance, like AFL.

Hypothetical.None of the Sydney clubs would be able to treble their attendances.You'd need a 40,000 stadium for the Sharks for a start.
I'd say losing Thursday and Friday night would impact the grant, more than you would imagine.6 pm perhaps would have little impact ,but not Friday 8pm .
The more live apps for live sport such as the NRL via Telstra ,the bigger the impact on FTA and Pay TV's bidding price.

If clubs could (in a dreamworld )average 30,000,and have memberships of 40,000 plus, they'd be in the position of the likes of the Broncos,and the need for larger grants from the NRL HO would be greatly reduced.
Another problem we have, every time a player or players stuffs upland the media pushes the crisis buttons, the chances of getting more sponsors on board is that much harder for clubs.
We'd be in deep sh*t if the grants were not forthcoming,and having to rely on current crowds.

You continue to compare us with AFL on the matter.It's chalk and cheese with regards fan base, memberships,and dominance in their respective heartland markets.

I suspect when the WSS stadium is up and running crowds will take a decent jump,SFS will have increases,ANZ should have smaller increases due to isolation from main fan bases.That's why ANZ should be used for major NRL games such as Souths v Parra.Bulldogs v Parra.

The sooner TV income is used solely for H/O ,such as expansion,infrastrucure and grassroots, and NRL clubs are self sufficient can't come sooner for me.

Imagine crowds if this central station stadium were a reality!

Unfortunately state libs are doing everything in their power to get SFS knockdown sorted ASAP.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
There are 2 or 3 more bays allocated to the Roosters than the Rabbitohs, from what I can tell. That, plus the SCGT members means that there should be more Roosters than Rabbitohs there.

Either way, it'll sell out by Wednesday, no doubt.

Agree to an extent, however I feel the Rabbitohs fans will just buy tickets anywhere, even if in a designated Roosters bay. A bit like the tigers did in 2005.

Billythekid

First Grade
Saturday's game only got 72k, but I'm fairly sure the Friday game sold out along with two others the previous weekend, all of which got 90-91k.

The 48k at ANZ on Saturday was fantastic - I'm really disappointed there's been very little in the media celebrating the fact it nearly cracked 50k and will be the highest finals crowd outside the GF.

The 72K was possibly their most impressive crowd. It essentially had no sway support as they were facing GWS. That's like a Sydney team facing the Titans in a prelim. That's a mighty level of support and I believe the wether wasn't great either.

Agreed that 48K was a good crowd. Ideally you'd like to see more between 2 of Sydneys big clubs but it's a good crowd. Hopefully we follow it up with a sold out Allianz and at least 25K for the storm. That would be a solid finish to the year.

Onwards and upwards next year with the first new stadium arriving. The WSS will give us a solid boost to our average crowd next year. Likewise I see the new cowboys having a good impact the year after. Hopefully it's the start of an upwards trend.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
The 72K was possibly their most impressive crowd. It essentially had no sway support as they were facing GWS. That's like a Sydney team facing the Titans in a prelim. That's a mighty level of support and I believe the wether wasn't great either.

Agreed that 48K was a good crowd. Ideally you'd like to see more between 2 of Sydneys big clubs but it's a good crowd. Hopefully we follow it up with a sold out Allianz and at least 25K for the storm. That would be a solid finish to the year.

Onwards and upwards next year with the first new stadium arriving. The WSS will give us a solid boost to our average crowd next year. Likewise I see the new cowboys having a good impact the year after. Hopefully it's the start of an upwards trend.

Agree, that 72k was alll Collingwood supporters and just nuts, hate AFL but that crowd was incredible.

Billythekid

First Grade
Agree, that 72k was alll Collingwood supporters and just nuts, hate AFL but that crowd was incredible.

Yeah I don't like the AFL but it's hard not to appreciate how incredible their crowds are.

Contrary to the opinions of most on here I want to see league flourish in Sydney like AFL does in Melbourne. The game deserves so much more and is capable of so much more.

Valheru

Coach
According to roosters facebook page the member ticket purchases today were 54/46 in favour of chooks members.

meltiger

First Grade

Because praising the Saturday crowd doesn’t push the narrative they want Tim. You know that

The three AFL finals that got over 90k were all Victorian affairs. Collingwood on Sat night, let’s be realistic. The Giants would have brought at max 1 or 2k. No one gives a shit about them up there, it’s no different down here.

I dont know why people (particularly the media) want to compare the two sports constantly. They simply have different cultures around attendance. Doesn’t make one more popular than the other.

One thing RL does do right is the crowd split. AFL has fans spread out all over the ground. On Friday you might have say 2 Richmond bays then a few Collingwood bays then Richmond again. Watching Sat night it really stood out having all the bays to the right of the tv camera (least on the sideline) Saints bays and to the left Souffs bays. It looked awesome and the atmosphere at ground level would have been great.

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Yeah I don't like the AFL but it's hard not to appreciate how incredible their crowds are.

Contrary to the opinions of most on here I want to see league flourish in Sydney like AFL does in Melbourne. The game deserves so much more and is capable of so much more.

Yep agree. The company I work for is headquartered in Melbourne and many of my colleagues were in Brisbane for origin 3 so I took them along as they always bag me for NRL crowds. They were astounded by the atmosphere, especially considering it was a dead rubber.

A few of them said that a large portion of their love for AFL has to do with the crowd interactions as they agree the game can be messy, which makes me think that if we got the crowds, how many of them would start following more intently, and head to a few games. Anyway, a few of them even commented about how good the last weekend was.

Billythekid

First Grade
Yep agree. The company I work for is headquartered in Melbourne and many of my colleagues were in Brisbane for origin 3 so I took them along as they always bag me for NRL crowds. They were astounded by the atmosphere, especially considering it was a dead rubber.

A few of them said that a large portion of their love for AFL has to do with the crowd interactions as they agree the game can be messy, which makes me think that if we got the crowds, how many of them would start following more intently, and head to a few games. Anyway, a few of them even commented about how good the last weekend was.

I've heard that same thing time and time again from casual fans. I know people who travel all the way to Sydney to see a swans game and all the time you hear people say how good the atompshere is. None of these people support the AFL or watch it on TV though. It's all about the crowd.

That's why there is such a disconnect between AFL crowds and ratings in Sydney and to a lesser extent Brisbane. It would be very interesting to see what would happen if NRL crowds improve substantially. I think it could have a big knock on effect to the AFL outside of their heartlands.

El Diablo

Post Whore
And if the TV grant was $10mill but your fanbase was three times the size? You'd be much better off than you are now! Losing Thursday night and Fri night isnt going to drop the TV grant hugely, by some yes, but that some should be more than made up for if we could double our triple our fanbase.

Like we keep saying bigger TV deals are better for NRLHQ, bigger fanbases are better for clubs. Somehow we need to find a better balance, like AFL.
It's not relevant to NRL so of little interest to me or most on here. You seem somewhat AFL fixated.
Why would I reply to a post on afl?

Randwick Rabbit

Juniors
According to roosters facebook page the member ticket purchases today were 54/46 in favour of chooks members.
Not disputing your figures Val, but all I know is that at 5PM this afternoon, I tried to get 8 tickets for Rabbitohs category 1. No luck. Cat. 2? No luck. Cat. 4? No luck. Supporters bays 37 & 38? No luck. I am now behind the goalposts, but I'll take that just to be there and soak up the atmosphere of the last sporting event at SFS (Allianz) .

I Bleed Maroon

Referee

WhichRelievedArmyant-size_restricted.gif