What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 NRL TV Ratings

taipan

Referee
you might be on to something! But then again if nine clubs arent enough to generate interest Im not sure eleven or twelve would be much different. Maybe the NRL needs a Sydney re engagement strategy? If Dave Smith was still in charge he'd have appointed a consultant to look into it by now.

Well we had a lot more clubs then , the population has grown since rationalisationThe fans of the prior individual disaffected clubs ,have hardly kept pace with this growth.
So one can suggest relocating more ,or ditching more is not going to be the panacea,as the North Sydney area has shown.
We can't sell out when we play in Perth,even when its a one off game.So maybe reengagement needs to be Oz wide.
LOL "Dave Smith would have appointed a consultant "One of the reasons we wasted large sums in the past, was on expensive consultants appointed by whom? .................Smiffy.The result next to zero impact, but boy was the entertainment and dining spot on.

Dave Smith would have had teams in every state ,in every regional city, we'd be selling out the Storm games at Etihad,and we'd have little left over for grassroots.
Yup he's de man.

Last edited:
Ooh that hurt, donkey boy. :joy::joy::joy:

At least the troll T-Boon agrees with you. Congrats.

Those ratings sting you big time. Don't worry you can craft another canny narrative with no substance over the next 31,700+ posts. :joy:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Well we had a lot more clubs then , the population has grown since rationalisationThe fans of the prior individual disaffected clubs ,have hardly kept pace with this growth.
So one can suggest relocating more ,or ditching more is not going to be the panacea,as the North Sydney area has shown.
We can't sell out when we play in Perth,even when its a one off game.So maybe reengagement needs to be Oz wide.
LOL "Dave Smith would have appointed a consultant "One of the reasons we wasted large sums in the past, was on expensive consultants appointed by whom? .................Smiffy.The result next to zero impact, but boy was the entertainment and dining spot on.

Dave Smith would have had teams in every state ,in every regional city, we'd be selling out the Storm games at Etihad,and we'd have little left over for grassroots.
Yup he's de man.

Given the finite resources meaning limited number of teams in the 1997 cull, the 20 had to be cut. So your suggestion is we’d have been better keeping all the Sydney clubs and having no Melbourne and no Auckland and nq? If the new teams Bring more than the cut teams then it’s still a win. It’s hard to argue that the storm haven’t added more to the game than keeping NS or Balmain.
The work then needs to be done so that the next generation isnt lost. You can’t blame a 50year old rusted on bears fan for having less I ter3st but there is no reason at all that a 12 year old when they were cut should have been lost to the game. The real failure wasn’t in cutting the bears, the failure was the arl’s lack of staretegy in making sure the area wasn’t neglected post the bears. There are 6million people in Sydney, to only be getting 350k fta viewers for finals games is a big worry and a sign of the apathy towards the sport in that city at the moment.

Haha trust you to miss the irony of my consultant comment!

Ps nib has sold out 3 times in last few years.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Given the finite resources meaning limited number of teams in the 1997 cull, the 20 had to be cut. So your suggestion is we’d have been better keeping all the Sydney clubs and having no Melbourne and no Auckland and nq? If the new teams Bring more than the cut teams then it’s still a win. It’s hard to argue that the storm haven’t added more to the game than keeping NS or Balmain.
The work then needs to be done so that the next generation isnt lost. You can’t blame a 50year old rusted on bears fan for having less I ter3st but there is no reason at all that a 12 year old when they were cut should have been lost to the game. The real failure wasn’t in cutting the bears, the failure was the arl’s lack of staretegy in making sure the area wasn’t neglected post the bears. There are 6million people in Sydney, to only be getting 350k fta viewers for finals games is a big worry and a sign of the apathy towards the sport in that city at the moment.

tenor.gif

taipan

Referee

You do know ,then perhaps you don't, in 1995 the ARL had over $20m plus in the Bank.On that basis they expanded into Perth/Nth Qld/Auckland and Brisbane crushednuts.Expanding knowing they had the financials to do so.Where they stuffed up was on the travel /accommodation re Perth.
The question we will never know, with money in the bank and no SL,the code did in fact have financial resources.And perhaps they could have screwed a better Tv deal ,than the Gallop giveaways.And retained 20 teams.

I have repeatedly stated I am for expansion,but you coming in here trolling, whining ,sucking up to AFL turns me and others off .I was for the expansion the ARL did in 1995 ,although I thought 4 teams at once was rushed.2 ,then 2 later after the following TV deal.

The simple facts are this weekend 3 out of the 4 teams in the elimination finals are Sydney teams.Two Sydney teams with strong junior bases, and one with the financial backing .
Sydney is the biggest city in the country with more than 20% of the country's population.Sydney has already had rationalisation post SL.NSW has about 7m.
What Sydney outer area clubs need is better stadiums that is all.Penrith has the largest number of junior in the country.The Sharks have the biggest growth of juniors second only to West Sydney.

Generation was lost in North Sydney because of rationalisation.Once you lose them, you don't get them back.It means they are lost will continue to have little rl interest.Not 50 years olds, but kids now growing up.Yes you'll get some kids.But you need apart from D/Os ,volunteers to help.
Why didn't your mate Smith with all the money at his disposal ,put resources into North Sydney?Ironically he was building a nest egg, \similar to what the current mob are doing.

You don't understand, you lose a team like the Bears,and you can put money in and resources, but the kids don't have an NRL team in that area, to aspire to like their dad.
Maybe a solution is, for another Sydney team to incorporate Nth Sydney in the area and logo.
The demographics could also have changed dramatically.
St George got the sh*ts when Cronulla (part of their area) went solo in 1967.The Illawarra is now the strength of their juniors.
If it's not a growth or large area I can understand a team dropping down ala Newtown.

The very reason the Shark's juniors are growing is because @they have an NRL team B) the team has had marked success in the last few years including being in the top 8 regularly c) females playing the game d)they are well ingrained in the community(I see it first hand every day) covering people 8-80,Flanagan has an academy system with pathways for young players .The only thing missing for that club at the moment is an upgraded stadium.They still get 15,000 plus members not much less than other Sydney clubs.You don't get that when your club is flicked.

You are not a resident of Sydney, you have thus not followed the game in Sydney for along time.You came from a country of over 60m, with one completely dominant code, and rl having promo and relegation.It's a compltely different situation to what we have here.

You chop a team, you either lose fans forever, you get a few who remain stalwarts and jump to another club and now because there are other/more competing codes some jump ship to them as happened when Souths were flicked .
You keep crapping on about FTA.TV ratings for sport has been dropping full stop, the NRL not as much as the others.And you have to take into account Pay TV.Masters noted the NRL over the year(not including the semis) is bigger than the AFL.And you ignore also the growing impact of people streaming on mobile devices.

And who knows the effect of the Sydney media and their criss anti rl stories,I hope Burgess sues one of them for millions.

Knowing the way you genuflect toward Smith ,consultants was his way of getting expensiveyes men/women to support his expensive habits.The same people who appear to have offered little re growth,grassoots etc.

And Sydney clubs have had sellouts, Penrith twice this year,Sharks have had 19-20,000 in recent years.Leichhardt has had 19,000 thereabouts.
There is over 2m in Brisbane,yet can only get 35,000 members.It is what it is.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
*quoted post deleted*

I get the sense most rugby league fans support their clubs and not really Interested in the game. Same reason we can’t draw a crowd for internationals. Also they have invested in non afl states and whilst small it still adds up to 120k extra viewers co pared to nrl which doesn’t even include WA and SA in its ratings as not on main channel.

The difference is in Sydneys less interest than Melbourne (afl got more viewers in Melbourne than nrl got in Sydney and Brisbane comb8ned!). SA and WA combined is bigger than Q’land audience and the expansion states extra 120k.

Que the defence we got more viewers over the season, which we did and was great to see.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFrog

Coach
How the fick did we lose last night by over 600k? We've flogged the AFL all year yet fallen off a cliff at the end of the season! Embarrassing
Collingwood and Richmond are huge AFL drawcards. Melbourne and the Sharks in NRL not really, and the match was not only a foregone conclusion but quite ordinary for such a high level final. Expect tonight's NRL game to do much better.

Once Collingwood made the flying start they did and the Storm match more or less went to script, many would have switched.

Last edited:
Last nights @storm victory had a combined national average audience of 1.417 million across @Channel9 and #FoxLeague

Last nights @CollingwoodFC victory over @Richmond_FC had a Combined National audience of 2,035 Million across @Channel7, 7Mate and @FoxFooty Ch7 & 7Mate 1,490 Million (Melb 684k, Adel 171k, Perth 177k, Syd 62k, Bris 59k, Regional 336k) Fox Footy 545k Nationally

How the fick did we lose last night by over 600k? We've flogged the AFL all year yet fallen off a cliff at the end of the season! Embarrassing
'We' :joy:

applesauce

Bench

Because the AFL fans have more invested fans. They spend more money on tickets to games (for their team) and now Foxtel (for all games). Not to get too off track but also another reason AFL Tv rights are more valuable to TV stations and advertisers.

At this time of year when their team is no longer playing I would suggest the attrition rate of AFL fans losing interest in the remaining games is much, much lower than NRL fans.

mongoose

Coach
I get the sense most rugby league fans support their clubs and not really Interested in the game. Same reason we can’t draw a crowd for internationals. Also they have invested in non afl states and whilst small it still adds up to 120k extra viewers co pared to nrl which doesn’t even include WA and SA in its ratings as not on main channel.

The difference is in Sydneys less interest than Melbourne (afl got more viewers in Melbourne than nrl got in Sydney and Brisbane comb8ned!). SA and WA combined is bigger than Q’land audience and the expansion states extra 120k.

Que the defence we got more viewers over the season, which we did and was great to see.

The AFL should be questioning why they only get 3k more people watching in Sydney than Brisbane? especially when you factor in this:

Sydney population 5.1 million
Brisbane population 2.4 million.

Me thinks the metro ratings are not counting sydney audiences properly....

twesty

Juniors
The AFL should be questioning why they only get 3k more people watching in Sydney than Brisbane? especially when you factor in this:

I'd say Sydney just isnt into sport like the rest of Australia

taipan

Referee

Just can't help bringing in AFL comparisons.If you aren't getting a kick back from Gil, you should be..

Funny you should suggest that about club first before game.
Apparently John Elliot(former Carlton head honcho) did not attend the Tigers v Pies knock out semi, but in fact attended the Storm v Shark's game.Asked why?He stated he can't stand either one of those teams.IOW his club comes first ,not the game.

The answer is simple ,a hell of a lot of fans are brought to the game by their parents or friends to a club they support.From then on they become devotees or fans of that club.Tribalism is the result.That's how I got involved with rl via my father in law.That's how my mates follow the Sharks, I helped get them involved.And my kids.
If you believe Nth Melbourne and St Kilda in a semi would fill the MCG you are kidding.because the fans of other clubs follow their club first and the game second.
It just so happens AFL has had complete overwhelming domination in Melbourne,via the media and the fan base for ages.No real competition from other codes to eat into their club fan bases.

Sydney is a far more cosmopolitan when it comes to the football codes ,has been for ages.Whilst rl is the dominant code, their is strong support for soccer at grassroots and at international level.Union at one stage had strong grassroots and an International base ,both which are withering now.Our media is and has been far more accommodating to other codes in Sydney, for as long as i can remember.
You probably know little about the daily papers in Sydney,the Mirror and the Sun, whilst rl dominated ,other codes got a run.
You still rarely get decent Storm print media and electronic media coverage in Melbourne today. Such is the domination.

I think its fair to suggest most fans want their code to be the biggest and the best, but when it gets down to the basics, their first love is the club, then the game as a whole.It's just human nature wanting to belong.I'm a fan of the International game.not many rl fans are.

And I also propose the same applies to fans of the EPL.

You can whine and bitch as you perpetually do, but fans follow clubs ,else merchandise of the head body would outsell all club merchandise.
And no clearer example of that ,was when South Sydney was flicked from the comp.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just can't help bringing in AFL comparisons.If you aren't getting a kick back from Gil, you should be..

Apparently John Elliot(former Carlton head honcho) did not attend the Tigers v Pies knock out semi, but in fact attended the Storm v Shark's game.Asked why?He stated he can't stand either one of those teams.IOW his club comes first ,not the game.

The answer is simple ,a hell of a lot of fans are brought to the game by their parents or friends to a club they support.From then on they become devotees or fans of that club.Tribalism is the result.That's how I got involved with rl via my father in law.That's how my mates follow the Sharks, I helped get them involved.And my kids.
If you believe Nth Melbourne and St Kilda in a semi would fill the MCG you are kidding.because the fans of other clubs follow their club first and the game second.
It just so happens AFL has had complete overwhelming domination in Melbourne,via the media and the fan base for ages.No real competition from other codes to eat into their club fan bases.

Sydney is a far more cosmopolitan when it comes to the football codes ,has been for ages.Whilst rl is the dominant code, their is strong support for soccer at grassroots and at international level.Union at one stage had strong grassroots and an International base ,both which are withering now.Our media is and has been far more accommodating to other codes in Sydney, for as long as i can remember.
You probably know little about the daily papers in Sydney,the Mirror and the Sun, whilst rl dominated ,other codes got a run.
You still rarely get decent Storm print media and electronic media coverage in Melbourne today. Such is the domination.

I think its fair to suggest most fans want their code to be the biggest and the best, but when it gets down to the basics, their first love is the club, then the game as a whole.It's just human nature wanting to belong.I'm a fan of the International game.not many rl fans are.

You can whine and bitch as you perpetually do, but fans follow clubs ,else merchandise of the head body would outsell all club merchandise.
And no clearer example of that ,was when South Sydney was flicked from the comp.

Just rep,ting to someone else question. You need to write shorter posts s if you want people to read them.

taipan

Referee
I'd say Sydney just isnt into sport like the rest of Australia

4 football codes, surfing,Sydney to Surf marathon,Everest stakes,Sydney half marathon,Sydney to Wollongong bike classic,Sydney to Hobart yacht race, cricket,basketball,netball,tennis.triathlons.Sutherland to Surf.Super Cars Homebush
Nah Sydney is not into sport.This coming from a Victorian smoking the funny stuff.

taipan

Referee

If I need to spell out examples of the whys and wherefores, I'll do so on that basis.If it's too long for you to read
Just rep,ting to someone else question. You need to write shorter posts s if you want people to read them.

And I'm spelling out where you're wrong.Even if I have to type an essay to do so.You can't go through unchallenged.
Simply the football codes here put their clubs first (tribalism),to suggest it's only rugby league is utter bollocks.Here endeth my rant.

Cumberland Throw

First Grade

The ratings methodology is pretty lax..

But it's the last thing that an NRL fan should do is question it's legitimacy..

If they are way off... And we have to base the popularity of the game of all the other metrics available..

We are f**ked

Latest posts