What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Nuke

Staff member
Hope so, I love this.

What are you basing your confidence on though?
First up, current day NRL is a chevron-a-thon! Secondly, I've read somewhere that they want to go back to something like the original design, but a modern take on it. Thirdly, a couple of seasons ago, the Knights supporters group submitted to the Knights a design for their supporters group shirts, which was a chevron-version of the original design, and the Knights knocked them back as they had that design in their minds for a future jersey design.
Of course, new owners and board have come in since, so new people = new ideas, which means I may be way off the mark ... but I reckon I'm close!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Not really, you're putting forward a completely unrealistic proposition that will never, ever happen.

Frankly I'm pretty sure that you understood exactly what I meant and that you are just be a pedant, but I'll spell it out anyway.

I didn't mean the owners of the trademarks I meant the 'owners' of the identity of the clubs and how they want to represent themselves to the public in a nebulous sense, the clubs 'self-image' if you will. As I'm sure you can tell the logo and the jersey make up a big part of that.

kdalymc

Bench
If this really is the case and we are getting another reboot, That will be 7 different NRL logos on a jersey in 21 years... not even the Incredible Hulk gets this many reboots.
Will be 3 since the reboot to “unify all comps” in 2013...
f**ken leave it.

GAZF

First Grade
Logo looks ok in use. Surprised that its black and white, unless that's just the NRL working out kinks at the moment. Wonder what will happen with the wordmark on busy backgrounds.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Frankly I'm pretty sure that you understood exactly what I meant and that you are just be a pedant, but I'll spell it out anyway.

I didn't mean the owners of the trademarks I meant the 'owners' of the identity of the clubs and how they want to represent themselves to the public in a nebulous sense, the clubs 'self-image' if you will. As I'm sure you can tell the logo and the jersey make up a big part of that.
Most clubs do represent themselves how they want - the Roosters are a fantastic case in point. For just about everything bar the jersey and official logo, they use the old crowing rooster logo. Check out their membership site and plenty of their graphics on social etc.

Those items aren't regulated in any strict sense by the NRL - the jersey and use of the primary logo certainly are, that's the point I'm trying to communicate to you.

The Great Dane

First Grade
Most clubs do represent themselves how they want - the Roosters are a fantastic case in point. For just about everything bar the jersey and official logo, they use the old crowing rooster logo. Check out their membership site and plenty of their graphics on social etc.

Those items aren't regulated in any strict sense by the NRL - the jersey and use of the primary logo certainly are, that's the point I'm trying to communicate to you.

My point was (keeping in mind that I was responding to ideas that would basically regulate the presentation of all the clubs jerseys and logos) that the NRL doesn't strictly regulate the jersey and the primary logo as the clubs are pretty much allowed to do what they want with them (design wise at least), and things should stay that way!

If things like the previously mentioned mandatory badges were to be introduced that would quickly change, and that would be a bad thing.

kdalymc

Bench
Have we not had standardised logos for 5 years already?
Unsure if I used the correct word. Sounds like some people want jerseys like the cricket ones above. And every logo to be 60 x 60, 2 colours max, no text, no depth, all facing East, no curved tongues, ok now I’m being silly

GAZF

First Grade
Unsure if I used the correct word. Sounds like some people want jerseys like the cricket ones above. And every logo to be 60 x 60, 2 colours max, no text, no depth, all facing East, no curved tongues, ok now I’m being silly
No-one here wants anything like that, how you came to that conclusion is staggering. The league logo being a certain way really has no bearing on what a team's identity is.

The logo might not be what you like, but I doubt that its a harbinger of a dystopian league where all teams are identical, save for colours. That already happened in 1997 and I'm sure the NRL remembers it to some extent.

insert.pause

First Grade
I’m in two minds about the competition logo, I like the simplicity, but I also think it’s too simplistic.

Shouldn’t the key for good logo design be including something distinctive that identifies what it is? Especially if the word mark is separate from the logo?

I don’t think the chevron is as distinctive as they think it is, and certainly not as distinctive as a ball for example, which at least identifies it as a sports logo. NRL needs more prominence if the logo is so simple.

Last edited:

Saint Doc

Coach
I dislike the new logo.

But, it passes the national flag test, ie can be drawn by school children. I guess that’s a good thing?

The Great Dane

First Grade
No-one here wants anything like that, how you came to that conclusion is staggering. The league logo being a certain way really has no bearing on what a team's identity is.

The logo might not be what you like, but I doubt that its a harbinger of a dystopian league where all teams are identical, save for colours. That already happened in 1997 and I'm sure the NRL remembers it to some extent.

Pretty sure he's talking about the teams logos and people suggesting mandatory shields/badges around them...