What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Something to do the racist bogan stereotype? The demographic that watches the game is fast becoming a minority in rugby league heartlands.

Apparently removing the southern cross is 'treasonous'...

sempmrh

Juniors
I think the thing everyone needs to keep in mind about these new logos is that the trademarked version isnt necesarily the final version. This same discussion happened when everyone was shitting on this in 2012.

1999760.jpg

Crap quality, but it was only ever meant for the lawyers...

I really hope they do chuck the NRL inside the shield like in Nuke's mockups (id prefer the to be a bit wider and a bit less tall/thick).

But we definitely shouldnt burn the place down just yet...

I never understood the "it looks like the Cricket Australia logo" response when the new logo first came out. They're both green shields with the Southern Cross but that's about it. The NRL logo has more in common with the old ARL logo than anything else.

Zerô

Juniors
Reminds me of when Ch 9 paid a design firm close to a million to redesign their logo, and all the did was remove the dots and box the 9. Chumps

images

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What is everyones opinion on the new NRL comp colours being Black-White?

I understand why people were against Green-Gold (too bogan, excluded foreign teams), but surely there is another option before Black-White!!!

I really liked the original ARLC logo of Gold on Black.

200px-Australian_Rugby_League_Commission_logo.png

Striking and unique (and a nice callback to the "All Golds", the organisation that is the real foundation of RL in the southern Hemisphere. Plus, its the only RL brand I know that unites Aussies and Kiwis)

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I think we're in enough of a technology & design era that colours being hard and fast aren't necessarily a thing. Different applications of logos pop up in different colours now. E.g. the Finals NRL logo is silver gradient, Grand Final logo is gold gradient.

Chook Norris

First Grade
New NRL logo on the drought relief auction, this time in black, which means they might swap around the colour palettes to suit what they're promoting

View attachment 23818

I'm pretty happy with the NRL corporate logo. Some sensible changes. The telstra premiership logo on the other hand... if that truly is just black and white and that's the main logo they're promoting with...

Last edited:

Prometheus

Juniors
The NRL shouldn't have put the southern cross on their logo to begin with.

NRL =/= ARLC

Why not use the southern cross? The NRL and lower grade competitions include teams from Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Three countries that all feature versions of the southern cross on their flags.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
The new Telstra premiership logo needs to either the NRL word mark, or a football, or something.

The two tiny chevrons in a shield looks ridiculous
Couldn’t agree more. Adding a rugby(football) is a must for me in order to associate the logo with the game/sport of rugby league.

The NBA logo has a figure dribbling a basketball. The NFL logo has a American football and the MLB logo has a figure with a baseball bat swinging at a ball.

GAZF

First Grade
Why not use the southern cross? The NRL and lower grade competitions include teams from Australia, New Zealand and Papua New Guinea. Three countries that all feature versions of the southern cross on their flags.
They do have a southern cross (along with Samoa), but its obviously a stronger tie to Australia than it is to others (the stars on the logo have 7 points after all).

The ARL logo didn't have the southern cross so I don't see why its such a big issue now. I get why people wouldn't want the green/gold colouring to go away but the NRL is obviously taking a different angle on their branding approach. People just like to whinge when any change is implemented - how about we wait and see how the whole brand is applied before throwing our toys out of the cot (or say that its great for that matter).

All that aside, I think the cross is unnecessary clutter on the logo and I was never a fan of it - so I'm biased about removing it anyway.

gzerounian

Juniors
Reminds me of when Ch 9 paid a design firm close to a million to redesign their logo, and all the did was remove the dots and box the 9. Chumps

images
In June 2017, foxtel spent enormous amounts of money to a design firm to come up with the dotted "f". It only lasted a year with the new CEO preferring to go back to their roots of orange and bringing back the two spotlights. The only thing that remains is the new font.

Dragonwest

Juniors

I understand why people were against Green-Gold (too bogan, excluded foreign teams), but surely there is another option before Black-White!!!

Striking and unique (and a nice callback to the "All Golds", the organisation that is the real foundation of RL in the southern Hemisphere. Plus, its the only RL brand I know that unites Aussies and Kiwis)

Traditional Western Australian representative jumper, black with 2 yellow thin chevrons.

Perth Red

Post Whore

2904436_1_L.jpg

gzerounian

Juniors
Apologies for the poor quality but last night Michael Hancock was wearing this on nrl 360. Is this maybe how they plan on doing the new logo on jerseys?
IMG_20180928_165136.jpg

Latest posts