What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kurt Mann linked to Newcastle

Newcastle Herald reports this weekend.

The St George Illawarra utility Kurt Mann (and Michael Jennings) are the latest played linked to Newcastle for 2019.

Played his juniors in Newcastle.

OK by me. He is a good, handy player,, but not a great player.

The same could be said for the whole 3/4 line excluding Lomax who only played in the finals series due to Euan Aitken's injury.

rednwhites

Juniors
Mann showed his value to me, especially during the finals. He wouldn't demand huge $$$ yet you know what you are going to get from him and he is as versatile as they come.

If losing him meant we free up some money to sign an awesome backline player or prop I would be keen, otherwise really hope he is with us next year. He will make the top 17 round one and can play for his position in the team.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
The suggestion is Brown is seriously considering turning the tough utility, who has played in virtually every position in the backline over the past few seasons, into a hooker if he returns to Newcastle

possm

Coach
The suggestion is Brown is seriously considering turning the tough utility, who has played in virtually every position in the backline over the past few seasons, into a hooker if he returns to Newcastle

With a little bit of coaching, Mann would make an awesome hooker. He would also get a sizable pay increase moving into a regular spine position. I'd rather see Aitken on the move to Newcastle, I really think Browny could iron out his skill shortages and turn him into a solid player.

We need Mann so I hope we can keep him. To me it seems like someone outside the club is shaping our squad.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
The article that this is linked to is very vague.

It states they are/have/maybe in talks with either the player manager or directly to the player......so which one is it? It also states he is under contract and would have to request a release for 2019.
The article also mentions links to Jennings as well as French and Segeyaro.

Not suggesting for one minute that the rumour may not be correct but to jump immediately that he's going is a little premature.

getsmarty

Immortal
Toohey's News | Newcastle Knights target Eels centre Michael Jennings and Dragons utility Kurt Mann
  • Local Sport
    Veteran Parramatta centre Michael Jennings and St George Illawarra utility Kurt Mann are the latest players being linked to a possible move to the Newcastle Knights.

Knights coach Nathan Brown is understood to have met with either the players directly or their managers within the past week with both believed to be open to making the move north.

And we have also been told that Brisbane winger Corey Oates, who is yet to re-sign with Brisbane, could be another on the radar as well.

The sticking point with Jennings and Mann is they are under contract to their respective clubs for another season but there is a strong chance both could be released.

r606_0_5209_3712_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

On the radar: Veteran Eels centre Michael Jennings is in the sights of the Newcastle Knights but remains contracted to Parramatta next season and would need a release. Picture: AAP.

The Eels are desperate to off-load players to create some cap space and Jennings is said to be on around $800,000 next season. Negotiations with the Knights would only get serious if Parramatta was willing to chip in around half that figure.

The Knights have also shown some interest in another Eels outside back, Bevan French.

The link to Mann, who played in the juniors for the Knights before leaving for Melbourne and then the Dragons, is even more intriguing.

The suggestion is Brown is seriously considering turning the tough utility, who has played in virtually every position in the backline over the past few seasons, into a hooker if he returns to Newcastle.

If true and he signs, that could end negotiations the Sharks’ James Segeyaro.

We tried to get hold of Brown yesterday but were told he was holed up in meetings all day with his football department staff at Port Stephens and could not be reached.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...s-veteran-jennings-in-knights-sights/?cs=7580

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
With a little bit of coaching, Mann would make an awesome hooker. He would also get a sizable pay increase moving into a regular spine position. I'd rather see Aitken on the move to Newcastle, I really think Browny could iron out his skill shortages and turn him into a solid player.

We need Mann so I hope we can keep him. To me it seems like someone outside the club is shaping our squad.

Yeah, good players such as Mann are rumoured to be moving while the club is immersed in signing untried players.

It certainly sounds as though the squad outside SGI is shaping the squad FOR SURE!

TruSaint

Referee
For mine, McGregor’s complete mistreatment of Mann has been emphasised by stubbornly not giving him another opportunity at fullback since his infamous poor game against Cronulla s few years ago.

This example illustrates one of the ‘coach’s’ many shortcomings.

I don't know how many times I have posted this, but we BOUGHT Mann as a FB, dropped after 2 games, and then used him a pawn ...

I wish Kurt all the best. Many players have have 2 bad games ( some 2 bad seasons ), and be given free passage to selection.

Dont blame Mann.

Gareth67

First Grade
For mine, McGregor’s complete mistreatment of Mann has been emphasised by stubbornly not giving him another opportunity at fullback since his infamous poor game against Cronulla s few years ago.

Without doubt , that man has a awful lot to answer for .

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
I don't know how many times I have posted this, but we BOUGHT Mann as a FB, dropped after 2 games, and then used him a pawn ...

I wish Kurt all the best. Many players have have 2 bad games ( some 2 bad seasons ), and be given free passage to selection.

Dont blame Mann.

I didn’t.

Mr Red

First Grade
Bye Kurt....
Not tall, not big, not fast, not aggressive, can’t kick, can’t read a game....yet somehow made the 17 each week.....

Drag Queen

Bench

Bingo Jimmy.