What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Melbourne Super Show

Anyone have thoughts on this?

I don't get them plugging HHH v UT relentlessly. Realistically UT is 15 years past his best and HHH probably 10. There's no way this will be a good match, yet they are using it to sell the whole PPV? Have any other matches been announced?

Wonder if they are struggling with ticket sales.

nöyd

Staff member
Anyone have thoughts on this?

I don't get them plugging HHH v UT relentlessly. Realistically UT is 15 years past his best and HHH probably 10. There's no way this will be a good match, yet they are using it to sell the whole PPV? Have any other matches been announced?

Wonder if they are struggling with ticket sales.
i had some interest, but am well glad to be saving my coin for something better, like food and clothing

___

Juniors
My thoughts are it has potential to be the biggest WWE PPV ever (provided all seats at the MCG and then make-shift seats near the ring sellout) however I doubt that it will be a sellout as it will be a glorified house show and no doubt will cost an arm and a leg to get a seat up in the stands where you can't see anything.

Will be hilarious if it rains on the night!

yep been a while since I've seen wrestling in the rain! used to happen in the 80s at the baseball arenas...can't say I've seen it since then. always a risk with Melbourne

___

Juniors
So tonights AFL Semi final is not a sellout - 90,000+ are expected to attend but not a sellout. If an AFL semi final with 2 Melbourne teams is not a sellout I can't see a WWE event being a sellout!

Vozzy

Juniors
The Daniel Bryan and mix being a number 1 contender match is good cos something is on the line that will have an effect on smackdown or next ppv. Wonder if they are heading for an AJ and Bryan match at a later event but I'm hoping Joe is champion for a bit.

Big Pete

Referee
I'll be tuning in because it's such a historic moment for Australian wrestling. There hasn't been a show this big since the Global Warning Tour 16 years ago and the opportunity to see this show live on prime-time is something I haven't experienced since WCW toured Brisbane around this time 18 years ago.

Otherwise, the only match I'm anticipating is Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz. It's one of the best rivalries in Pro Wrestling and from a pure story-telling perspective, I rate it above MOST of the New Japan angles with the exception of Okada/Tanahashi. Just the way everything has played out over the past 8 years, the promos, the matches, the contrast between the two performers is everything I love about wrestling.

I reckon The Miz will win, challenge AJ for the championship, win that match and at Wrestlemania 35 we get Daniel Bryan vs. The Miz for the WWE Championship.

mackdadday

Juniors
I think it has the chance of being a solid show.

Hopefully Charlotte goes full heel. Joe wins the title (aj has had it more than long enough). Nobody loses their hip in the main event.

Charlotte, much like her old man, is a much better heel. But like Sacha Banks, there seems to be an obsession to keeping them babyface. The only reason I can come up with is the same one as to why Roman Reigns is still booked as a baby face - they move way too much merchandise.

I like the card but I don't see it being more than a house show. Most of the champions will retain (Buddy Murphy might get the W to pop the crowd), with the faces all winning the non-title matches (Bellas/Rousey, Asuka/Naomi, Cena/Lasley, Bryan. I know they are teasing the Ambrose heel turn, but it is probably still a little soon for that, more chance of Dolph/Drew turning on the Dogs of War.

mackdadday

Juniors
Wow. Seriously. How good was that main event?? Thought it was a solid show with the cruiserweight match and main event the picks and the shield giving their usual solid 6 man. Surely the Miz vs Bryan finish was a screw up. Disappointed that Joe didn't get the win. Surely the time is now for someone new.

Throwbacca

Juniors
My thoughts are it has potential to be the biggest WWE PPV ever (provided all seats at the MCG and then make-shift seats near the ring sellout) however I doubt that it will be a sellout as it will be a glorified house show and no doubt will cost an arm and a leg to get a seat up in the stands where you can't see anything.

Will be hilarious if it rains on the night!

How disappointing for you.
You do know it rains twice as much in Sydney than Melbourne don't you?
Fantastic night and another great event In the sporting capital.
Winx at Flemington n the arvo and wrestling in the night.

Big Pete

Referee
Of course Bryan/Miz ends up as a glorified segment than a real match. I waited three hours for it, checked my phone and when I looked up it was over. I'm sure they'll go onto have great matches, but I couldn't help but laugh at the way it played out.

Murphy/Alexander was the Match of the Night and the most important match in 205 Live history. As far as MotYC go, it wasn't close, but for time and place, it was exactly what it needed to be. Just big spots, all executed well and a few believable near-falls to get the crowd into it, glorious.

Taker/HHH was a throwback to WCW where you'd see Hogan/Piper go at it one last time. It wasn't pretty, but it drew the fans attention and gave the show a sense of novelty. It had been 14 years since Taker toured Australia and 9 years for Triple H, so it was the one legends match fans would be interested in. It was very similar to the match HHH had against Sting at Wrestlemania 31. More of an exhibition than a full-blooded epic, and it seemed like they wanted the fans to pop for all the call-backs and shenanigans going on. It was the best version of a 2018 Taker/HHH match, sloppiness and questionable story-telling one and all. Of course, HHH had to get his hand raised at the end. Hunter always gets his man and that's been a constant ever since I started watching Pro Wrestling around SummerSlam '99. Back when I first started posting here, I would have been livid, now I just find it funny and I get it. It leads into the Brothers of Destruction vs. D-Generation X match at Crown Jewel, which DX will naturally win because the Saudis paid millions of dollars for the WWE to fix the ending.

The rest of the show was similar to those old UK PPVs. It was a bunch of rematches we've seen a few times now and while some of them were good like AJ/Joe, they weren't super-amazing MotYC calibre matches. I'd recommend watching Murphy/Alexander and doing something better with your 3 hours.

Vozzy

Juniors
What I don't understand these days is you have a guy as good as Daniel Bryan who puts bums on seats in a 3 minute squash match why not do this on a Smackdown if it's for story line progression. People pay to see good matches at "special events" (like this was a promotion more than a ppv so why not give him 20min and entertain the crowd it's what I don't understand. There are 3-4 matches on every ppv like this. There are better matches on RAW/Smackdown these days.

The Undertaker match may not have been the best but at there age it's still pretty good Americans were expecting a match from 10 years ago rather than the attraction for Aussies to see two icons having one last match.

I don't really care about results when I watch wrestling I just want to be entertained and the last 3 years it's died down despite the wrestlers being good. Even roman Reigns I don't mind him and don't care if he is champion or not just want entertainment.

Latest posts