What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trade Ivan to Penrith for 2019

Black Magik

Juniors
Sorry...that doesnt cut it....if he was
( end of story) commited to his contract as you say he wouldn't have needed a prepared statement to say it..he could have simply and directly said it from the heart with his head held high to the club..players and supporters as he did when he told of the plans that he asked full backing for to accomplish...he refuses to take questions from anyone ...even the supporters because he knows he has no honourable answers..he wont lie but has no honourable truth to tell so he says nothing....that's the story for now
I see your point. To me that was protecting himself from mis quoting. I can see why you would want him denying it at every opportunity but sometimes silence speaks volumes.

Pilot house

Juniors
Perhaps coachworld is waiting for seibs to trigger everything. Souths fans are manic about loyalty and we won’t be very keen on investing further in a coach who is on his way.

People are already annoyed he’s held out from what I understand to be at least 3 formal offers that started in April and negotiations are white hot at the moment.

Contracts can usually be varied and ended if both of the sides agree.

Seibs>>>brisvegas
Cleary >>>>riff
Bennett>>>tigertown

Meaning Souths will need a new seibs. They are of course ok to try new coaches at nrl level which seems to have worked this season.

You pretty much hunt about for a talented assistant from wherever.

I’d be thinking coaching contracts would be fairly one sided to the club. As seibs was untried, no doubt there would be a clause making a forced exit upon him easy with little or no penalty. I mean half of us were expecting not to make the 8 at all.

But time is ticking. Only a few weeks before pre season starts.

Mader45

Juniors
If Ivan has signed with Penrith it will be for after 2020. That’s professional. If the Tigers continue to employ him, that’s professional. If they don’t that’s sour grapes.

Signing Ivan from 2020 onwards based on the historical context reeks of a lack of professionalism from the Panthers and if I was a Panthers fan I'd be pissed off. Your club has fired a coach, signed a new coach and 1 player to a long term deal that might not connect for 2 years. 2 years in the life of a professional athlete is like dog years.

Look at the merry go round of bullshit Manly has dealt with since signing DCE long term. You get players constantly popping up now as cornerstone generation players like Valentine Holmes is being touted as. This is bullshit hype that clubs should be fighting against in every sport and code with a salary cap. But because of the system player managers know the clubs are the ones who have to work around them and the result is shitty clubs paying the same salaries to once in a lifetime athletes (Lebron James) to better than average players (Carmello Anthony) in order to try and remain competitive.

Theres certain players who earn the right to have a say in how a team will move forward for the next 5-10 years. Nathan was 2-4 years away from providing motivating and consistent performances to be that player. You can't deny that right now he looks the goods. But Dugan, Hayne and DCE were the future of the league at some point too.

Meanwhile every single halfback between 14 and 18 playing in Penriths junior system will be thinking they don't have a future in the area now if the current halfback can already dictate club terms for the next 7 years.

... Maybe we're just fighting the wrong battle. Each club is doing what they think is in their best interest in a competition that rewards f**king others and f**k wit player managers, instead of development and loyalty.

Black Magik

Juniors
Signing Ivan from 2020 onwards based on the historical context reeks of a lack of professionalism from the Panthers and if I was a Panthers fan I'd be pissed off. Your club has fired a coach, signed a new coach and 1 player to a long term deal that might not connect for 2 years. 2 years in the life of a professional athlete is like dog years.

Look at the merry go round of bullshit Manly has dealt with since signing DCE long term. You get players constantly popping up now as cornerstone generation players like Valentine Holmes is being touted as. This is bullshit hype that clubs should be fighting against in every sport and code with a salary cap. But because of the system player managers know the clubs are the ones who have to work around them and the result is shitty clubs paying the same salaries to once in a lifetime athletes (Lebron James) to better than average players (Carmello Anthony) in order to try and remain competitive.

Theres certain players who earn the right to have a say in how a team will move forward for the next 5-10 years. Nathan was 2-4 years away from providing motivating and consistent performances to be that player. You can't deny that right now he looks the goods. But Dugan, Hayne and DCE were the future of the league at some point too.

Meanwhile every single halfback between 14 and 18 playing in Penriths junior system will be thinking they don't have a future in the area now if the current halfback can already dictate club terms for the next 7 years.

... Maybe we're just fighting the wrong battle. Each club is doing what they think is in their best interest in a competition that rewards f**king others and f**k wit player managers, instead of development and loyalty.
I’m not pissed off at all. It is a complete plan. A succession plan.

Re: halfbacks in our junior ranks- there will be a 5/8 spot soon and probably hooker too, but we’re used to losing good juniors unfortunately.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
And btw folks, Thus “new aggro panthers, it’s a bit like grandma waving her knitting needles at you.

Aggro panthers?! Give us a break.

Just be quiet panthers and let the rest of us steal your good juniors as per usual.

Your place in the game is to always bring up good players for the rest of us to pick up for $2 because you can’t see the wood for the trees.

That is your destiny and meaning to the nrl. Don’t be confused and think you are there to actually compete! What gave you that idea merkins?!

These panthers are quiet all year, you’d think they were asleep. Then they wake up, hurt another club, pat themselves on the back and go back into hibernation.

Joke of a club. More like a Nuremberg rally full of clowns dispersed with sheep.

Growewwwwellll! Zzzzzzz.
Panthers fans better hope Jett Cleary can play, there’s your 5/8 in a couple of years.

Nah actually it's a bloke called Lui.

But you're right Jett will come through the system like his older brother did before him.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I see your point. To me that was protecting himself from mis quoting. I can see why you would want him denying it at every opportunity but sometimes silence speaks volumes.

Cmon mate, the prepared statement was a farce. ‘I intend to see out my contract.’ Really?!

When you marry someone are your vow’s ‘I intend to take you to be my...’

No, because it would be a laughing stock. Just as his little note was.

Pilot house

Juniors
“Look at the merry go round of bullshit Manly has dealt with since signing DCE long term. “

The panthers did the same thing with Moylan and we all know how that worked out.

They have this “individual might” mindset and they just won’t let go. It’s killed a lot of clubs chances over the years, an addiction.

Gould has said he bases his decisions on the circumstances at the time that he makes them.
That’s the excuse or explanation he uses. It’s all very matter of fact. He doesn’t explain everything, just snippets.

He doesn’t publically fret about being right or wrong. If he’s wrong he’s wrong, so what!

I just wonder whether he has fully considered all of the consequences and adverse fallout of the grand strategy.

I think he comes from good intent for the panthers, or what he sees is good. I am just not sure he’s thought it all through.

I really don’t think it’s in the panthers interest to launch this narcissistic raid on a vulnerable club, just finding its paws.

It’s all going to end in tears for Pantheria for sure.

I might be alone in the world, but I quite like dce as a person and a footballer.Pms players are running scared from the field and he wants to hug and enjoy the experience with natives. It was very moving. It’s what footy is about.

Last edited:

Black Magik

Juniors
Cmon mate, the prepared statement was a farce. ‘I intend to see out my contract.’ Really?!

When you marry someone are your vow’s ‘I intend to take you to be my...’

No, because it would be a laughing stock. Just as his little note was.
He probably does intend on seeing out his contract but there are a lot of things out of his control. Again, looking at Bennett, who also intends on seeing out his contract but then the Tigers come along and offer him 4 years starting next year.

So what happens if Bennett agrees and Cleary is without a gig for the next 2 years? Tigers are in breach and will be required to pay him out. Like what happened at Penrith.

I keep reading about this massive deal Penrith have made for the Clearys. I just read that Gus may not have thought this through. He is a smart man. How’s this? Tigers sign Bennett and pay out Ivan who is without employment. Penrith then sign Ivan and don’t need to pay a cent for two years. Thanks Tigers. Lol.

Vic Mackey

Referee
He probably does intend on seeing out his contract but there are a lot of things out of his control. Again, looking at Bennett, who also intends on seeing out his contract but then the Tigers come along and offer him 4 years starting next year.

So what happens if Bennett agrees and Cleary is without a gig for the next 2 years? Tigers are in breach and will be required to pay him out. Like what happened at Penrith.

I keep reading about this massive deal Penrith have made for the Clearys. I just read that Gus may not have thought this through. He is a smart man. How’s this? Tigers sign Bennett and pay out Ivan who is without employment. Penrith then sign Ivan and don’t need to pay a cent for two years. Thanks Tigers. Lol.

I must admit I truly admire the way Panthers fans continue to dream up these scenarios where everyone is in the wrong bar them.

Black Magik

Juniors
I must admit I truly admire the way Panthers fans continue to dream up these scenarios where everyone is in the wrong bar them.
I admire the way Tigers fans are hanging onto the “we were wronged” tag when their club is doing the same to the Broncos. Difference being the Panthers haven’t offered contracts inside his current tenure.

Pilot house

Juniors
Mum always said I would be special

Deary me!

Until we see the contract, it’s a bit hard to say that Ic is entitled to anything.

There might be a “ contrary conduct” clause in it he’s breached. That’s why he’s quiet and seems sneaky.

I’d like to see him cross examined and tell the truth about the conversations he’s had.

It was said earlier, but I would say that the tigers are most definitely lawyered up and they won’t go down quietly without a fight.

They will have to deliver maximum destruction for their aggrieved fans...or tiger management will find themselves at manly looking for chairs.

This is war. Gus better be ready for teams of talented people working for his fall and as much chaos at the panthers an external source can muster.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Deary me!

Until we see the contract, it’s a bit hard to say that Ic is entitled to anything.

There might be a “ contrary conduct” clause in it he’s breached. That’s why he’s quiet and seems sneaky.

I’d like to see him cross examined and tell the truth about the conversations he’s had. Last time i looked this is a footy club, not a court of law. So cross examination is in the lands of fantasy.

It was said earlier, but I would say that the tigers are most definitely lawyered up and they won’t go down quietly without a fight.

They will have to deliver maximum destruction for their aggrieved fans...or tiger management will find themselves at manly looking for chairs.

This is war. Gus better be ready for teams of talented people working for his fall and as much chaos at the panthers an external source can muster.

Pilot. What is this 'Contrary Conduct' ? you are apeaking of ? What's this also about Ivan being 'cross examined' about private conversations he may or may not have had.

I am sure all parties concerned are 'lawyered' so to speak. This is why there is silence from all parties concerned.

Pilot, there will be no 'destruction for angry fans' either.

Panthers may choose (out of the goodness of their heart) to pay out Ivan's contract so that he can be at Panthers in 2019.

But other than that I can't see whether any monies will change hands (as such)

So I think your perhaps delving into some science fiction here.

Black Magik

Juniors
Deary me!

I’d like to see him cross examined and tell the truth about the conversations he’s had.

Contrary conduct! That boat sailed when they said they weren’t letting him leave. Next!!

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Contrary conduct! That boat sailed when they said they weren’t letting him leave. Next!!

There is an awful lot of 'wishful thinking' going on here by some wheeling the W/T barrow. That along with huge compenstation isn't going to happen. Panthers will wait out the 2 years if need be.

Pilot house

Juniors
I would very surprised if the wt ic contract left out clauses that did not command ic to conduct himself in a manner consistent with the wt clubs interests.

All the tigers need to do is allege that he hasnt and, bring their action and start issuing subpoenas left, right and centre to get to the bottom of it.

This would include getting ic to court where he cant hide or shut up.

Gus and the agent should be called too.

Just because they say he’s not going to go doesn’t mean they can’t sue him for damages they allege he had caused them although they have to quantify that I guess.

Or they can seek an order that he not discuss anything pertaining to his contract with panthers.

You see my panther friends, the wt fans demand blood. The wt board has to deliver this unkindness for them or find themselves on the outer.

Gus has cornered them and forced them to unleash the hell to save their jobs etc.

It’s going to be very very nasty.

Unforeseen consequences.....

TIGER14

Bench
If Ivan has signed with Penrith it will be for after 2020. That’s professional. If the Tigers continue to employ him, that’s professional. If they don’t that’s sour grapes.

That is not professional at all. He shouldn't even be in talks with Penrith about 2021 yet.

Pilot house

Juniors
When Pascoe responded to the news, he came right out and smashed the panthers in the nose.

He knew full well what was expected of him from the club and all involved.

Even if pascoe wants an out now, he can’t move. He must deliver or lose face and his job.

There’s no going quietly into the night. People’s jobs and reputations are at stake.

Latest posts