What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Import Rule

theo

Juniors
Asian players will be a compulsory feature of the A-League's foreign contingent from 2018-19, Football Federation Australia (FFA) has confirmed.

FFA chief executive David Gallop has flagged a significant change to the make-up of imports in Australia's top tier, announcing the governing body will introduce what is known as the 4+1, 4 foreign players outside of Australia from any continent and 1 compulsory from Asia going further along the path of the Asianisation of Australia.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/aleague-to-adopt-asian-import-quota-rule-20170116-gtsaoo.html

I don't like the rule because it discriminates against my heritage being Greek European because there's no +1 rule for Greek European players.

Last edited:

Mong

Post Whore
It would be discrimination if they couldn’t sign Greek players if they wanted to do so.

theo

Juniors
It would be discrimination if they couldn’t sign Greek players if they wanted to do so.

Mong I get your point but hear out mine.

Discrimination, favouritism, bias, they are words used to describe. The Greek word Yiasu and the Hawaiian word Aloha mean both hello and goodbye depending on the users perspective.

Sport can be a reflection of society and if we are to talk about minimum and maximum quotas then have a look at foreign immigration and congestion in cities for example. There needs to be a maximum quota applied to ease congestion.

Soccer has a minimum number of players required for a match to be played and a maximum number of players allowed on the field.

The FFA could have easily used a maximum number of Asian player quota but chose a minimum and ensured the survival of Asian culture but not European.

We can take a brush and paint what's already there or we can design our own.

Patriotism and not globalism are words I've heard used of late and they're about ensuring the survival of local content with the intention of being outward acting and not inward and cannibal.

Sport does bring people together and people do take sides and with passion when it affects them more.

Mong

Post Whore
Are you against the English quota numbers that EPL teams have as well?

Mong

Post Whore
Don't worry about Jimbo, he is only happy when he is having a sook about me. He won't join in the actual conversation.

theo

Juniors
Are you against the English quota numbers that EPL teams have as well?

I don't mind a quota for ensuring the survival of local content.

The English system is biased in favour of foreigners, therefore, discriminates against locals.

England has a maximum number of 17 foreign players allowed and a minimum number of 8 locals in a squad of 25.

I think the numbers should be reversed with a philosophy minimum of 75% local and maximum of 25% foreign in the squad.

theo

Juniors
That would be seriously detrimental to the leagues quality though.

I had this talk about quality with somebody offline and we both agreed beauty is a matter of perspective and Greek girls are just as beautiful as English girls, for example.

I don't think the crowds at an English Premier League level will be significantly affected if those quota numbers were reversed and there are more positives than negatives. It will give developing players a chance to shine and replace peaked players.

I'm looking for historical figures to confirm my feeling that crowds as a proportion of the population have I think actually either remained stagnant or declined in the sport.

People support causes and there would be just as much crowd watching Wimbledon v Leeds in an FA Cup Final as there would be Tottenham V Chelsea.

Mong

Post Whore
Crowds are one thing, how a less attractive product stands up internationally against other superior markets and the insane money on offer is a completely different thing.

theo

Juniors
Crowds are one thing, how a less attractive product stands up internationally against other superior markets and the insane money on offer is a completely different thing.

Players also stay with clubs because they genuinely love their current club, or like the area and are settled with their family. They may be confident of the club’s prospects, get on with the coach and teammates, or be worried their chance to play football may diminish at another club.

The surplus of foreign players would be picked up by other countries, therefore, strengthening football elsewhere so it's good for the sport.

I'm sick of the revolving prostitution door rich clubs have designed during transfer windows and the continued talk during the season of player movements which in my heart of hearts leaves my football soul diluted because it becomes a financial accounts game to line the pockets of the few such as player-managers that balloon transfer fees causing inflation to the detriment of those beneath them.

I personally don't like the transfer fee system but that's another subject.

Also, the fact more than half the clubs are foreign-owned. Correlation doesn't imply causation but the numbers correlate with the number of foreign players, at least in England.

What has a man profited if he financially gains and loses his soul.

I wouldn't care if there were no live matches on television or radio and only replays through the week.

Television and radio ratings are the sizzle but the meat is crowds at the ground.

Personally, I find matches boring to watch nowadays and enjoy the pre-match and post-match briefings. I'd rather watch international matches because there is more of a connection and they say the quality of international teams are weaker compared to club football.

Different horses different courses and different strokes different folks and thanks for your thoughts.

It's my 55th birthday tomorrow and times I feel burnt or feel the need to reminding myself of the importance of the situation, I listen to Crowded Houses Don't Dream It's Over

If anything it chews a few more minutes of my life's game clock leaving fewer minutes of anxiousness or depression to endure. Bottle of Southern Comfort helps as well.

Latest posts