What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The reason why gambling is truly evil

Lambretta

First Grade
On Grand Final Day we decided to watch the game at the Leagues Club.

Easts is centrally located, would have no Storm fans and beer would be unreasonably priced......

All this was true, but the choice of beers available was appalling. It was by far the worst selection I have encountered in close to a decade. Even in Wagga or Tamworth you get better choice

VB, New, Rech's, Cartlon Draught, Pure Garbage, Great f**king Northern.... all these beers are variations on the same piss poor theme.

The only beers that were different were Carlton Black and Pacific Yak.

Pacific Yak is the most watery, flavourless attempt at a craft beer ever attempted. It takes like the bastard son of Corona and water. It was about as appealing as lapping rain water off the floor of an industrial site.

So Carlton Black it was. f**king hell that stuff doesn't stand up to prolonged scrutiny. It had managed to give me a hangover headache by the time the game started and I hadn't even stopped drinking

I lay the blame for this wash of pitiful mediocrity at the feet of pokie machines and the brain dead zombies who pile their money into them

Because of you merkins the owners of Easts don't have to try to offer anything resembling quarter way decent choice as people don't go there to actually drink. The whole sorry shitheap is just paid for by gambling

Well f**k you and the horse you rode in on.

If you want to rant about a pub, club, bar or anything else. This is the place. Whinging bastard central.

horrie hastings

First Grade
It would be at least 18months since I have been to Easts Leagues, the place is appalling, mindless zombies down stairs ploughing hundreds of dollars into the pokies and no real decent eatery options at all, the club used to be a jewel in the crown, a destination you wanted to visit with good food, drink and entertainment options and a community feel but slowly year after year it has gone down hill and now is just one big horrible pokie den.

A roosters leagues club. Why would you be surprised at a rubbish club having rubbish beer on tap? I wouldn’t expect anything worthy, It’s a shithole ffs. God you Sydney City Rooster merkins are dumb.

Someguy

First Grade
The craft beer fad will pass the hipsters will rebel against it and drink the cheapest beer on the market to be ironic or move onto some obscure spirit that has been under appreciated. Surely no one really wants their beers to taste like grapefruit, orange or bananas.

Lambretta

First Grade
The craft beer fad will pass the hipsters will rebel against it and drink the cheapest beer on the market to be ironic or move onto some obscure spirit that has been under appreciated. Surely no one really wants their beers to taste like grapefruit, orange or bananas.

No, I prefer my beer to taste of beer
That chemical crap that Carlton spews into existence is not beer, it's f**king garbage

Lambretta

First Grade
A roosters leagues club. Why would you be surprised at a rubbish club having rubbish beer on tap? I wouldn’t expect anything worthy, It’s a shithole ffs. God you Sydney City Rooster merkins are dumb.

Easts Leagues is in Bondi Junction
You're probably aware that's in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney
There isn't a single other venue in the East that has such poor options

I would assume that being in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney that the owners would have woken up to the fact that the World's moved on.

Horrie reckons it's gone downhill. I'm not so sure. I reckon it's the same as it's always been, it's just it hasn't kept up with the times,

The old adage of "if we're standing still in a World moving forwards, we are in fact going backwards" rings true.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Easts Leagues is in Bondi Junction
You're probably aware that's in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney
There isn't a single other venue in the East that has such poor options

I would assume that being in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney that the owners would have woken up to the fact that the World's moved on.

Horrie reckons it's gone downhill. I'm not so sure. I reckon it's the same as it's always been, it's just it hasn't kept up with the times,

The old adage of "if we're standing still in a World moving forwards, we are in fact going backwards" rings true.

It has gone down hill, I am talking from the 80s when it was a destination, you had head line acts who performed there, great restaurants to eat that, even the bistro was good quality, an excellent gym for the time and areas where you could sit talk and relax, movies being shown weekly and a real community feel. However the last 20 years or so it has deteriorated and especially the last 10-15 years the place has stunk, no quality food options, no where to sit and relax, it just one big dark, dank poker machine den.

Headless Chook

Juniors
No, I prefer my beer to taste of beer
That chemical crap that Carlton spews into existence is not beer, it's f**king garbage
Try living in Canberra. Every venue the average punter goes to has been held to ransom by CUB. VB and Carlton goats piss mouthwash is pretty much it. The hipster pubs are fine if you like beer which tastes of rotten fruit at 12 bucks a pop.

Lambretta

First Grade
Try living in Canberra. Every venue the average punter goes to has been held to ransom by CUB. VB and Carlton goats piss mouthwash is pretty much it. The hipster pubs are fine if you like beer which tastes of rotten fruit at 12 bucks a pop.

We had a great day in Canberra and started off at a pub in town that served a wide range of beer
Not sure if you would class the joint as "hipster" but I can't knock the choice

Wasn't $12 a pop, but it was the morning when we started drinking, so it could have been "Happy Hour"

Fire

First Grade
The key is to set your expectations low as f**k.

That's what I do whenever I walk through the front doors of 'The Taj' for an away game with mates.

jim_57

Staff member
I'd be interested to know what beers you rate? Edit: Genuine interest, not having a go.

From a pub's point of view going with the obvious ones on-tap is just common sense. People crap on VB, New, Pure Blonde etc but I bet they sell a sh*t load more than any craft or "quality" beer. Sad state of affairs but most pubs can't just put every beer on tap if they're only going to sell 2 schooners a week to people who know their shit.

Last edited:

Someguy

First Grade
I'd be interested to know what beers you rate?

From a pub's point of view going with the obvious ones on-tap is just common sense. People crap on VB, New, Pure Blonde etc but I bet they sell a sh*t load more than any craft or "quality" beer. Sad state of affairs but most pubs can't just put every beer on tap if they're only going to sell 2 schooners a week to people who know their shit.

But if these ‘quality’ beers sold in high volume they would be shunned and labeled the same as VB, New, etc

jim_57

Staff member
But if these ‘quality’ beers sold in high volume they would be shunned and labeled the same as VB, New, etc

Probably, but I bet the companies that make them wouldn't complain.

I don't go to a pub expecting top shelf beer to be honest, I know plenty are adapting and adding different drops but I'm not going to storm out if I have settle for one of the 'mainstays'.

Bazal

Post Whore

Canberra is actually quite good, on the whole.

For eg (just cos I live near enough that I watch footy there) Woden Hellenic has literally 15+ taps including beers from Bentspoke and even Asahi Black.

Southo has Bentspoke too. Quite a few have Kosciusko (which is Tooheys, granted, but still) and local beer from Pact and Capital brewing is easy to find... Definitely much better than the beers we got even five years ago

Bazal

Post Whore
I'd be interested to know what beers you rate? Edit: Genuine interest, not having a go.

It's because, for some reason, VB is considered "real beer" in Australia still by many.

Of course it's technically not even beer, but a dearth of quality products, habit, and advertising combined to create a monster.

That "hipster craft beer" that people like to put down is generally more like the way real beer should be, blatantly ridiculous shit ignored obviously. The Belgians and the Germans have been doing fruit beer for 500 years for eg

Lambretta

First Grade
you're all little hard to please merkins.As if you's wouldn't down a VB. Precious merkins.

Actually, I wouldn't - I have tried to, but soda water is preferable

On GF day I looked at the taps and asked the staff "excuse me, do you sell beer"
When they pointed at the VB et-al, I merely said, "no, beer.... surely you've heard of it, every other pub in Sydney sells it, why don't you?"

Lambretta

First Grade
Oh and FYI on the "fruit" comments

Beers like 150 Lashes, Kosciusko, Fat Yak etc are fruit driven Pale Ale's
Of all the craft beers available, these are probably my least favourite
It's like drinking a tropical fruit punch, urgh.

But Newtowner, Little Creatures (Pale, Pilsner & Bright Ale), 4 Pines Pale, James Squire (Pilsner, Golden Ale, Hop Thief), Matilda Bay Alpha Pale Ale are all decent, acceptable, flavoursome, largely main stream beers

Rather than offer 8 different types of the same thing (and lets face it CUB chemical spew is the same thing regardless of the label) at least offer one or two alternatives

CUB own Matilda Bay, so throwing on an Alpha Pale Ale and a Fat Yak at the very least would have been a good idea. Yeah one is fruit punch, but some people seem to like that, so cater to the f**kers.

Latest posts